SGS Reviews

Updated October 30, 2014
Updated October 30, 2014
2.7

Christopher (Chris) Kirk

Pros
  • Work life balance as not OT too late (in 6 reviews)

• Can learn a lot of different methods/techniques (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Bonuses are only for upper management level, PTO is vacation only (in 6 reviews)

• Low pay as others have mentioned (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Slave drivers

Current Employee - Inspection Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Inspection Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at SGS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have nothing good about them

Cons

salary bad, benefits bad, management bad, job safety is bad. all bad I can wait to move out

we are not tools

Most one sided company I have EVER worked for

Former Employee - Inspector in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Inspector in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at SGS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the dealership personnel and lease turn in customers are very good people has NOTHING to do with SGS!

Cons

no communication on their part- they stress that communication is KEY and you are threatened to be fired if you dont contact them within an hour of a missed call yet when you need to talk to them you are IGNORED. too many chiefs and not enough indians at SGS

you talk a good game of INTEGRITY- maybe yall should get a dictionary!!!

could be better

I have been working at SGS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

not so mnc after all

Cons

division manager should be assigned properly

Learn a lot, but little pay and little advancement

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at SGS full-time

Pros

The ability to gain experience is plentiful. There is a ton of overtime.

Cons

The pay is ridiculous. Other companies pay nearly double. The employee turn over is hammering the constand employees because they still have to workload but they also have to complete the training.

Pay adequately. Most people have advanced degrees in science.

Great place to get experience...but there's not much more to SGS

I have been working at SGS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly coworkers and flex time. Good company to work for straight out of college. Great place to learn about the industry and gain experience to add to your resume.

Cons

Compensation is below industry standards and not competitive. Feels as though overtime is more of a requirement rather than an option.

Good place to start career and get experience but nothing more.

Current Employee - Lab Tech in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Lab Tech in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at SGS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility, no need to travel, was able to take classes and keep full-time working

Cons

Small salary, no overtime pay, terrible benefits and management

Should care a little bit more about employes need, improve management skills.

Terrible company

Former Employee - Petroleum Inspector in Freeport, TX
    Former Employee - Petroleum Inspector in Freeport, TX

I worked at SGS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Freedom within schedule allows you to work unsupervised most of the time. For those that like working in small scale offices(2-3 employees) it's great.

Cons

Terrible pay and compensation. Ask far too much for the pay they offer. Often time scheduled for 48+hours and then on-call scheduling during off days. Major disconnect between field workers and management. Relatively low "glass ceiling" if you're not in a major metropolitan area, promotions are hard to come by.

Pay employees what they're worth. Most field workers make the company quite a bit of profit and rarely ever see and appreciation in return. Stick to company goals instead of just offering lip service.

Probably the worst place to work in America.

Former Employee - N/A in Lakefield, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - N/A in Lakefield, ON (Canada)

I worked at SGS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and People. not much else.

Cons

Bad Management all the way down....

Quite, Learn some people skills and don't let your pride get in the way

Peter Principle at Work.

I have been working at SGS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The fact that we have three proficient lead persons in our office quite often saves the day. I'm not sure how many times their knowledge and quick thinking have kept the wheels on the bus. They are good intelligent people who consistently get it right the first time. Given free reign and quality leadership they could make this a fantastic company to work for.

Cons

Manager has risen above his level of ability. Manager does not take care of his people. Manager misrepresents company policy in meetings. I have worked here for nearly two years without a raise. I recently asked for a raise and was told that the company could not afford to give me a raise. WHAT? I have been told twice now that I MUST choose between my family, and my job! I have never heard such callous B.S. from any other employer I have ever worked for!

Your people in the field are the source of the companies profits. Take care of them. Watch your managers a bit closer. Some of them do not consistently put in a full days work. This is a bit demoralizing to those of us who work twelve hour shifts and at times seven day weeks.

Poorly Managed Customer Dis-Service

Former Employee - Service Representative in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - Service Representative in Malta, NY

I worked at SGS full-time

Pros

10 days of paid vacation per year, 401K, paid sick time, health benefits, mostly non-stressful work environment

Cons

This company suffers greatly from poor management and often does the opposite of servicing the customer by exaggerating minor issues into bigger problems. Employees are often forced to give customers vague and incomplete solutions to problems in absence of information that they do not have access to, or are not allowed to divulge. Certain individuals in mid-level management are disrespectful to employees. Numerous complaints have been made by several employees about the lack of respect that these individuals possess toward lower level employees and no action has been taken. Lower level employees are rarely given a chance for advancement, and the company often hires from outside of the company instead of promoting qualified current employees from within. On the job training is almost non-existent. New employees are often forced to teach themselves most of what they need to do in order to preform their jobs effectively and have to "learn by doing" a job that they do not know how to do. For some of the programs that this company services, some members of management openly admit that they do not know anything about how some aspects of the program are supposed to be serviced. Lower level employees are often given tasks that are the responsibility of Mid-level management to complete themselves, because these individuals do not wish to work on certain days of the week. Employees are asked by these individuals to do the instructed tasks under their supervisor's log-ins, to make it appear that the supervisors did the tasks, not the employees. This is not only unethical, but it may be in breach of contract with other associated parties.

Learn to respect your employees and treat them as equals instead of taking down to them. Hire adequate managers with actual supervisory experience. Invest in adequate training for new employees and on-going training for current employees. SOLVE YOUR CUSTOMER'S PROBLEMS INSTEAD OF MAKING THEM WORSE.

SGS Photos