SHI International

SHI International Reviews in Austin, TX

Updated Jul 23, 2014

SHI International President and CEO Thai Lee

Thai Lee

Pros
  • It can be a laid back, flexible work place but that can also depend on your manager (in 10 reviews)

• Surrounded by lots of great people who have the flexibility to be creative and provide feedback to executive management for improvements (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Inside sales reps in Austin are offered 3 times the starting base pay of inside reps in NJ (in 8 reviews)

• Low base salaries for experienced sales reps so the financial peaks and valleys can be extreme (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights
19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Culture and opportunity for growth

Inside Account Executive (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsLots of opportunity to grow your career and earn good money once you've established yourself

ConsStarting and building a book of business is really difficult

Great place to get started - opportunity beyond

Inside Account Executive (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsA lot of opportunity to learn about exciting technology.
    Potential to be very lucrative in a short period of time.
    Company and partner manufacturers work hard to provide a fun environment for employees.
    There is plenty of opportunity to find new roles across the company and across the US.

ConsIncreasingly challenging quota attainment - the opening position has a seemingly short shelf life.
    The number of new reps creates a challenging learning environment for new teams.

Great at first but a lot has changed

ProsGreat Co-workers
    Great pay, if you're good at what you do
    Great benefits and perks
    Majority of the time, no micro managing

ConsManagement is a mess. One day it's this and the next is the complete opposite.
    Hiring way too people
    Call center attitude
    Management is too worried about dials and stuff that doesn't make the reps money.
    Too many unnecessary meetings(just let me work, it's sales)
    Our system tools are the worst in the business
    A LOT of favoritism(I even have to "brown-nose" to get accounts thrown to me)

Advice to Senior ManagementLet's take a step back in the SMB space. We have voiced our opinions for months now, but little has changed. Our work space is starting become a call center. Please stop preaching on numbers that do not make us money.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Young, fun culture.

Inside Sales Account Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat energy. Young professionals. Parties and events paid for by vendors. Fun place to work.

ConsRidiculous cold calling. If you are an IAE, you are worthless and replaceable (and treated as so)...

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise salaries of IAE's and invest in their success instead of giving up on them and replacing them with fresh meat.

Glorified Telemarketing

Inside Account Executive (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThere are a lot of young, fun people here. Also- lots of free food and happy hours, etc. They want you to believe this is a real job with fun perks.

ConsHmm, where to begin. If you are someone who desires a job where you can actually use your brain (maybe I should say someone WITH a brain...) I would reconsider taking this job. In fact, not having a brain would probably be helpful here because you are essentially a robot performing the exact same tasks as hundreds of other recent grads. This means cold calling at least 50 companies a day WHO DO NOT WANT TO TALK TO YOU. You are encouraged to find ways to get in contact with the IT directors, honest or not. Did you get a college degree? You are probably better than this.

Expect to see a list every day of how many calls and how much talk time everyone in the Inside Account Executive role made the day before. Expect to get in trouble if you do not make these 50 dials every day. That is the most important thing in this job. If that is what you want in a job, good for you.

Maybe you could reconcile performing meaningless tasks hour after hour, day after day for good money but the reality is you probably won't see much commission for a year (so many reps have told me) so you will be surviving on close to 30k. Which doesn't stretch far in Austin.

If you are desperate for a job and don't mind being a glorified telemarketer then this may be the job for you. I really do not understand why this job requires a college degree.

You are also completely expendable. They are hiring 30+ people to fill this role every month. YOU DO NOT MATTER. Save yourself the trouble and get a job somewhere else. Don't believe everything you hear.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring so many people. It is so blatant that individuals do not matter (on that note it is clear why this job is most people's first). Anyone with a solid educational background and the ability to think for themselves can see this for what it really is. Stop micro-managing. Realize that harassing people daily with cold calls is outdated.

Working at SHI

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsDid well financially and liked working with all managers on my team. Was able to do my own thing for the most part and liked the autonomy.

Cons1) If you are not used to working many hours and putting in the time necessary then SHI is not the place for you.
    2) They mostly hire recent college graduates. If over 30 it will be difficult to get hired.
    3) Some managers micro manage but most do not. Think this true of any large company.

Avoid the Sinking Ship known As SHI Corp.

Inside Sales Account Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe one thing that SHI does extremely well is hire great people. I have made a great number of friends/coworkers at this company.

Cons(SHI CORP ONLY)
    From 2008-2013 The Pay, Benefits, Morale, Learning, Management had been second to none. Unfortunately SHI made changes to their corporate compensation and management structure focusing on highly commoditized items which provides no real value to the customer, the company, or the sales people. Obviously this negatively impacted compensation as well as morale across the entire company.

Advice to Senior Management1. Remove the Disease introduced in mid-2013
    2. Get Back to what made SHI great, Selling thing for a profit...lot's of profit
    3. Treat reps like they are people, and not like cogs in a machine. Try and remember why you left Dell/Softchoice/CDW in the first place.

SHI is a great stepping stone for kids right out of college who want to learn sales.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat people, lots of young people and fun enviornment

ConsA lot of changes and moving of managment.

Sales

OUTSIDE SALES (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsFast growing, many opportunities for advancement and making $, obtainable goals, part of a team, positive work environment, inspirational leaders, constant learning and growth opportunities

ConsSales can be stressful at times, systems can be slow, sometimes everything feels like it is a priority, have to be comfortable with inspection

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on positive recognition of performance.

Account Executive/Sales/Order Taker/Whatever

Sales (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat for a frat/sorority type people right out of college using the "buddy-buddy" system to get right back in the same situation like going through 3 month training-style initiation,pointless classroom business games?, and tests that make you feel just like college classroom baby sitting session (you even get your name labeled on seats & 1 minute after being late from lunch you LITERALLY have your name put on the board?). Pro: benefits (but also takes away from the 30k base w/co-pay) Austin,Texas location does heavy recruiting in the frat/sororities because they are the perfect demographic who just fits into a robot style cookie cutter person who will risk doing boring/bad practice work at the promise they can still be accepted within the group/corp culture.

ConsWhere do I begin? First off. Corporate training is seriously for uneducated business people so if you are anything like an experienced BBA in Marketing/Sales/Finance/Accounting/Comp Science etc etc stay the_ F_away from this situation. You will find yourself explaining sales,marketing, cold calling-biz dev and time management to recent grads who go out drinking on Thursdays still ...by Friday afternoon I was looking for another job. The only experience most of the teachers in corp training had were just working for SHI (seriously almost all!!! - example LinkedIn). How can you better yourself if all your teachers have just been working there out of college? They drink the kool-aid ... ..stay at SHI? drink the kool-aid. Generation xerox. Moreover, all of the Austin location has all of their emails sync'd together ahaha lol (getting pointless emails every 5 minutes that are unrelated)makes no sense. One of the corp trainers threaten if you don't color-code your emails (because SHI isn't responsibly ran) ... you get punished .. .. because your emails need to be color coded?? Another classroom frat type of management....that becomes unproductive over time and poorly ran. I seriously answered almost all of the sales questions when the head sales honcho came in and he immediately noticed I wasn't among the business riff-raff constantly being churned through this technology house. So I went on about my tenure there for about 1 1/2 weeks til I told them "latas" which was the best decision I ever made. I know I wanted a career of advancement at least to a manager role (after 2-3 yrs at shi) as opposed to being demoted to an ORDER TAKER for the rest of my career at SHI (noone moves up). As for sales at SHI, knowing all the corp trainers had to go through Account Executive role (none of them stayed in the role) ... it must of been so bad that they were going to find something else in the company because goals are out-of-reach or 3x daily micro mgmt emails sent out of sales figures and names tied to performance for everyone in the org to point fingers.

Advice to Senior Management-don't treat adults like children in corp training (obvious why they hire young)
    -don't micro manage emails sent to the whole org haha then you have people pointing fingers across divisions (unproductive)
    -don't make promises/commission plans seem great then turn out unreachable basically you find yourself never making money (other than base) and only taking orders and just reselling
    -stay away from the frat mentality (makes your recent grads think this is what having a "real job" is like when I've never seen a corp training class put names of people on the board)
    -be more personal with your employees make divisional email selling figures so the division can make repairs not the "head honcho" of sales (he has more important things to do then read about mofo #412 in the org missed quota by 4k
    -The company seemed desensitized

Worked for SHI International? Contribute to the Community!