SHI International

SHI International Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

SHI International President and CEO Thai Lee

Thai Lee

Pros
  • It can be a laid back, flexible work place but that can also depend on your manager(in 10 reviews)

• Surrounded by lots of great people who have the flexibility to be creative and provide feedback to executive management for improvements(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Inside sales reps in Austin are offered 3 times the starting base pay of inside reps in NJ(in 8 reviews)

• Low base salaries for experienced sales reps so the financial peaks and valleys can be extreme(in 6 reviews)

Working at SHI

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsDid well financially and liked working with all managers on my team. Was able to do my own thing for the most part and liked the autonomy.

Cons1) If you are not used to working many hours and putting in the time necessary then SHI is not the place for you.
    2) They mostly hire recent college graduates. If over 30 it will be difficult to get hired.
    3) Some managers micro manage but most do not. Think this true of any large company.

Good company, some issues with management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSupervisors/immediate managers are great for the most part. Some great amenities, benefits

ConsCash is enough to survive but below general market rate. Upper management has NO connection to sales teams. Morale always an issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart actually listening to everyone instead of the few cherry picked managers you love.

Fantastic company to work for

ProsSHI cares about their employees. Also is always creating new and innovative ways to do business.

ConsSo many new changes in the past few years that it's become hard to keep track of who does what.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

SHI is a great stepping stone for kids right out of college who want to learn sales.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat people, lots of young people and fun enviornment

ConsA lot of changes and moving of managment.

Avoid the Sinking Ship known As SHI Corp.

Inside Sales Account Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe one thing that SHI does extremely well is hire great people. I have made a great number of friends/coworkers at this company.

Cons(SHI CORP ONLY)
    From 2008-2013 The Pay, Benefits, Morale, Learning, Management had been second to none. Unfortunately SHI made changes to their corporate compensation and management structure focusing on highly commoditized items which provides no real value to the customer, the company, or the sales people. Obviously this negatively impacted compensation as well as morale across the entire company.

Advice to Senior Management1. Remove the Disease introduced in mid-2013
    2. Get Back to what made SHI great, Selling thing for a profit...lot's of profit
    3. Treat reps like they are people, and not like cogs in a machine. Try and remember why you left Dell/Softchoice/CDW in the first place.

Sink or Swim

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsLearn a ton about technology and all the different services that are available to companies. Ability to earn a love of money.

ConsMarket saturation. Lack of clear direction from managers due to rapid growth and ever-changing goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training and less micro-management

Cube Farm Work Horse

Inside Account Manager (Current Employee) Somerset, NJ

ProsGood job right out of college - dont expect much else
    Various vendor events
    Some managers are fantastic like mine. They care about you and want to help - but are shut down by higher management when they make suggestions to make things better

ConsIts a cube farm. Sit at your desk, place orders, deal with crap from customers/vendors, dont talk to anyone. Yes you have vendor events, you get free stuff and food but its all perks for a crap job. Its work work work with no bonus. We dont get paid enough for what we do. It could be a blizzard outside - horrible conditions ex. Hurricane Sandy - and they still expect you to come in and take away PTO days if you do not. I am currently applying to other jobs to leave this place. They dont care about you. Youre just a number. High turn over.

Good for right out of school for "experience" then leave - I dont know how some people stay here this long

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about your employees. A ping pong table will not make up for the fact that you take away our PTO for horrible weather conditions. We dont get paid enough to kill ourselves and come into work.

Great if you're a longtime employee, not so much for new ones

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Somerset, NJ

ProsYou'll certainly get a great overview of the IT industry, as well as the opportunity to make plenty of industry contacts. Learn what you can (which is a lot) and take that experience to your next job.

ConsIf you began working for SHI between 1996 and 2002, congratulations. You're part of the elite that was promoted to management and apparently can do no wrong. (To be fair, some of the managers meeting this criteria are very good at what they do, but others ... eek.) if you came afterwards, you're guaranteed to do a lot of the work and to get little thanks in terms of compensation or advancement. It's a very political environment - employees don't call it "SHI High" for nothing - and who you know is way more important than your quality of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop running the company like its 1998. You say you're making all the right moves but look closely - middle management all works for their own agenda, and not cooperatively. And some managers need to start delegating more work to the people who actually report to them (who are pretty good at what they do!) rather than trying to do everything themselves so they get all the credit.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good opportunity for a beginning IT sales career, but not much else

Corporate Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to start an IT sales career, sort of like IT Boot Camp. Gives you a great opportunity to learn a little bit about a lot of different products and technologies.

ConsStacked-ranking approach to sales management coupled with countless reports and metrics to hit make doing your job successfully impossible, even when hitting sales numbers. There is little time in the day left to actually 'sell' after getting the required administrative tasks completed. Favoritism among management creates animosity on sales teams and can lead to embarrassment at events when reps are singled out as stars and others are ignored. No real value proposition to present to customers due to identical business model as numerous competitors, aside from Minority-Owned Status.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the amount of administrative tasks you put upon your field sales reps, play fair, provide support, and think about your value prop market by market. What works in one state may not be the approach needed in others.

Fast Growing Company

Prosfast growing company with solid value system

ConsWork life balance can be difficult to achieve

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for SHI International? Contribute to the Community!