SHI International

SHI International Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

SHI International President and CEO Thai Lee

Thai Lee

Pros
  • It can be a laid back, flexible work place but that can also depend on your manager(in 10 reviews)

• Surrounded by lots of great people who have the flexibility to be creative and provide feedback to executive management for improvements(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Inside sales reps in Austin are offered 3 times the starting base pay of inside reps in NJ(in 8 reviews)

• Low base salaries for experienced sales reps so the financial peaks and valleys can be extreme(in 6 reviews)

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Somerset, NJ

ProsGreat young company to work for. Awesome culture and atmosphere.

ConsNot many opportunities for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain management on how to deal with conflict resolution. Their personal feelings should not come in to play regarding team issues.

Wonderful company, underpaid a bit

Inside Sales Account Manager (Current Employee) Somerset, NJ

ProsThere a lot of young and good hearted people at SHI. Good work environment, casual atmosphere.

ConsThere are a lot of opportunities but management seems hesitant to let employees leave for other positions within the company. Low pay compared to other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a better management training program.

Good place to work

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsGreat Culture and good benefits. Compensation this great depending on accounts you work hard to get into, given to you, or your quota. Genuinely care about doing the best for the employees.

ConsThe company tries to do too much without enough resources. Huge shift towards micro management. Training and on going development lack effectiveness. Inside reps talent level leaves a lot to be desired

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

STAY AWAY - Stay far, far away

Account Executive (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsGreat comp plan in the beginning.

ConsTerrible executive corp management. Too many field reps. Take away more and more accounts to prevent long term success.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf I worked at Softchoice or Dell previously or were a brown noser - I am sure I would have been loved by you and given special treatment. Train your managers! SHI is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Downward spiral...

Inside Sales Account Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsI was at SHI for 3 years, and the first two years were great. The Austin office is young, and they hire fun and energetic people. The office was fairly laid back, and the pay was great if you had a good account set, which I did. If you prove you are capable, management will reward you by giving you good AEs and accounts.

ConsSHI changes direction and leadership wayyyy too often. We had 3 directors in 3 years, and in my last 6 months at the company, I had 3 different managers. With every leadership change came more busy work and a different focus. Back in June, they appointed a new director who has ruined the spirit of the place. Employees no longer feel valued at all, and everyone in the office wishes they could just quit. The last few months have seen tons of changes, and it is only going to get worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the irreparable damage the new director of inside sales is causing, and either step in and make some changes, or find someone else for the job before you lose your most talented people.

Inside Account Executive

Inside Account Executive (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsYoung work environment, great perks, laid back, great long-term earning potential

ConsInside sales, 50 + cold calls a day, takes avg. 6 months to start making commission

Excellent Training and Career Preparation

Account Executive (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThey hire the right people. Lots of upward mobility within SMB.

ConsNone so far. Keep doing what you're doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementEase up on the hiring just a tad.

SHI - It is a decent company

Account Executive (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsVery good sales support structure with excellent inside team and administrative support for various vendors; good relationships with vendors and distributors

ConsNot very good distribution of accounts; some friction between enterprise and mid-market vertical reps.; services not a strong suit of company

Advice to Senior ManagementWith time lost to traffic averaging two hours a day, a more flexible approach to tele-commuting is needed. It is not necessary to be in the office every day when the same work can be completed from a home office.

Great experience to go anywhere in the IT sales field

Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsLow base salaries but huge upside if you can consistently exceed your quota. It can be a laid back, flexible work place but that can also depend on your manager. Benefits were good, health insurance was great and cheap for a single person. Perks from vendors, such as sporting events, contests with generous payouts, spiffs, etc. Team selling is great if you have a good relationship with your inside rep (which I did, so it was a positive experience for both of us). The CEO has a great vision for the organization as a whole and while it's not always executed well, there is a commitment to customer satisfaction.

This is a great position to get a lot of experience in IT in a short amount of time. You can make a lot of connections at major manufacturers which could lead to more and better career opportunities. Stick it out here for 2 years and you could have a lot of doors opened to you.

ConsVery little opportunity for advancement if you aren't willing to relocate to NJ or Austin. Low base salaries for experienced sales reps so the financial peaks and valleys can be extreme. Management can be unappreciative and short sighted about retaining good talent. There was more and more micromanagement.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the good people and work to retain them. Every one might be replaceable but it most likely won't be with anyone as good.

Learnt a lot over the course of 5 Years

Inside Sales Account Manager (Current Employee) Somerset, NJ

ProsIts a mixed staff. Always friendly..work events and lots of free food! Management always ready to help. This is definitely a good place to start. They hire and promote from within so always good for you.

ConsForget about having plans on month end ...or quarter end or year end ( December 31st). You could be stuck at work till 11 at night. It can get mundane after a while..

Worked for SHI International? Contribute to the Community!