SHI International Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated September 29, 2014
3.3

SHI International President and CEO Thai Lee
Thai Lee

Pros
  • It can be a laid back, flexible work place but that can also depend on your manager (in 10 reviews)

• The one thing that SHI does extremely well is hire great people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Inside sales reps in Austin are offered 3 times the starting base pay of inside reps in NJ (in 8 reviews)

• Low base salaries for experienced sales reps so the financial peaks and valleys can be extreme (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

32 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company and coworkers - a place to stay and grow

I have been working at SHI International full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The environment is nothing like your typical IT sales company. I've met some of my closest friends at work and really enjoyed my coworkers and managers along my path to a very successful and challenging career. SHI also provides great benefits and job security. The free on-site health clinic, gym, cafe and numerous employee/partner social events make the work environment very satisfying. Plus SHI is one of the few companies out there that continues to put up record sales numbers every year. Great place to work, definitely somewhere that fits into my long-term career goals.

Cons

Upper management tends to have poor management skills and not have enough of a connection with what's going on with everyday employees. The company and employees would really benefit from management-level training. Managers should also have more accountability for their actions.

Consider a work from home policy for tenured employees. The work world is becoming increasingly mobile, so employees who are trusted and have proven themselves over time should be allowed to work from home on occasion. Also consider extra vacation time/reward for 10+, 15+ and 20+ employees as a "thank you" for the commitment, dedication and hard work over the years. Milestones like these are not common in the IT industry, and should be rewarded.

Great Culture!

I have been working at SHI International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunities galore, friendly and satisfying work environment. Extremely busy, challenging, time flies by.

Cons

Salaries are low compared to the national averages.

Rapid growth requires rapid responses; management needs to be more proactive and more willing to help their teams during busy times. Roll up your sleeves and help your department. Be generous with positive feedback, it goes a long way.

SHI is a great place to build a lifelong career!!

Current Employee - Human Resources Administrative  in  Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Human Resources Administrative in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time for more than a year

Pros

A fast growing company brimming with diverse culture, professionalism can be found at every corner but SHI still knows how to bring fun to the office environment.

Cons

Being involved with a fast growing company equals out to a LOT of work, working long hours is nothing new to an SHI employees but our passion drives us to excel.

Any manager at SHI earned their position by dedicating themselves to this company. The management team is professional and yet cordial, they walk the perfect line between professionalism and amiability.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Comfortable work enviroment

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flex hours, good pay if you sell alot of high margin product and services, friendly co-workers who are often very helpful. Women and minority owned.

Cons

lots of low margin products, some staff are in their positions just because of their tenure..

consider everthing that is being said and listen all opinions.

Satisfied

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager  in  Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work culture. Laid back depending on your manager. Room for growth if you put in the effort to stand out. Busy enough so you're not bored, but not so busy that you're overworked.

Cons

Very young workplace. Over 30 is overage in the Inside sales position (Entry Level). Low pay but equal for everyone.

Job advancement is too heavily based on time with the company and not based on experience.

IAM

Current Employee - Inside Account Manager  in  Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun, young environment. Great management. Ability to grow within the company. Overall good company. Gym in building is an extra perk.

Cons

Pretty boring work. Desk job. Could be on a really great team or could be on a terrible one. Mainly based on luck and up to your training managers discretion. Not much of a challenging role

Restructure training program and placement procedures

Experienced professionals beware!

Current Employee - Sales Support  in  Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Support in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Woman owned company, pregnant woman friendly. Free reserved parking ; just get prego.
    -Commons area has added games like Dave and Busters for you to enjoy.
    -A Gym and classes you can take.

Cons

No growth, No or little raise, Company grew too fast and got too cheap.

Treat your business and employees better not just the God fathered people who started in 1989. Value and respect, invest in your employees. Stop being cheap, and hiring college grads with art degrees. Stop using DOS, for your internal system; aka SHOES. Become effective, use the products you resell for your own business instead of cheaply like referring to Excel as an ERP system. And lastly, stick to your niche. Investing in cloud business and branding it as SHI, is a terrible idea. Customers dont wanr that. Leave cloud to the pros.

Great if you're a longtime employee, not so much for new ones

I have been working at SHI International full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You'll certainly get a great overview of the IT industry, as well as the opportunity to make plenty of industry contacts. Learn what you can (which is a lot) and take that experience to your next job.

Cons

If you began working for SHI between 1996 and 2002, congratulations. You're part of the elite that was promoted to management and apparently can do no wrong. (To be fair, some of the managers meeting this criteria are very good at what they do, but others ... eek.) if you came afterwards, you're guaranteed to do a lot of the work and to get little thanks in terms of compensation or advancement. It's a very political environment - employees don't call it "SHI High" for nothing - and who you know is way more important than your quality of work.

Stop running the company like its 1998. You say you're making all the right moves but look closely - middle management all works for their own agenda, and not cooperatively. And some managers need to start delegating more work to the people who actually report to them (who are pretty good at what they do!) rather than trying to do everything themselves so they get all the credit.

Cube Farm Work Horse

Current Employee - Inside Account Manager  in  Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good job right out of college - dont expect much else
    Various vendor events
    Some managers are fantastic like mine. They care about you and want to help - but are shut down by higher management when they make suggestions to make things better

Cons

Its a cube farm. Sit at your desk, place orders, deal with crap from customers/vendors, dont talk to anyone. Yes you have vendor events, you get free stuff and food but its all perks for a crap job. Its work work work with no bonus. We dont get paid enough for what we do. It could be a blizzard outside - horrible conditions ex. Hurricane Sandy - and they still expect you to come in and take away PTO days if you do not. I am currently applying to other jobs to leave this place. They dont care about you. Youre just a number. High turn over.

Good for right out of school for "experience" then leave - I dont know how some people stay here this long

Care more about your employees. A ping pong table will not make up for the fact that you take away our PTO for horrible weather conditions. We dont get paid enough to kill ourselves and come into work.

Great company to gain experience

I have been working at SHI International full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been here going on 3 years and it's been great. The company is growing so there are opportunities for growth within the company. Every place has some cons, but overall this is a great place to work with a great vibe.

Opportunities to learn, managers who want to help you advance, amazing culture, and (mostly) awesome co-workers

Cons

Low pay, really my only issue

Pay employees (if they are good at what they do) more to have qualified teams to support the business.

SHI International Photos

SHI World HQ
What individual work cube look like
Break room

+ Add Photo

Worked for SHI International? Contribute to the Community!