SHI International Reviews

3.4
SHI International President and CEO Thai Lee
Thai Lee

1. Featured Review

Great company and coworkers - a place to stay and grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The environment is nothing like your typical IT sales company. I've met some of my closest friends at work and really enjoyed my coworkers and managers along my path to a very successful and challenging career. SHI also provides great benefits and job security. The free on-site health clinic, gym, cafe and numerous employee/partner social events make the work environment very satisfying. Plus SHI is one of the few companies out there that continues to put up record sales numbers every year. Great place to work, definitely somewhere that fits into my long-term career goals.

Cons

Upper management tends to have poor management skills and not have enough of a connection with what's going on with everyday employees. The company and employees would really benefit from management-level training. Managers should also have more accountability for their actions.

Advice to Management

Consider a work from home policy for tenured employees. The work world is becoming increasingly mobile, so employees who are trusted and have proven themselves over time should be allowed to work from home on occasion. Also consider extra vacation time/reward for 10+, 15+ and 20+ employees as a "thank you" for the commitment, dedication and hard work over the years. Milestones like these are not common in the IT industry, and should be rewarded.

2. Account executive in their public sector

Current Employee - Account Executive in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of flexibility and potential to make a lot of money

Cons

Changing sales structure makes it difficult to work

Advice to Management

Be consistent

Worst and best job I have ever had

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hiring process was a breeze. Took about a week. The laid back dress code (you can pretty much wear whatever you want) I can listen to my headphones all day and/or use my cell without hiding it.

Cons

The pay sucks. When I started here I was making $23,500 a year (mind you everyone who works here is salary only except for warehouse) not paying too much attention to my starting salary I was just happy to find another job so quickly....until I got my first paycheck. If it wasn't so hard finding another job when I first started here I woulda been out the door after my second paycheck. Now I am making 25k a year...still not much but it has improved. Things were so bad I had to get a part time job which doing both now is making me hate SHI even more for paying me so poorly. The employees are rude (nobody holds the door for you let alone says thank you when you hold for them) the gym is too small with only 2 stupid showers in the locker room like really?! I wouldn't recommend this job to my worst enemy. Oh and the very worst...if you don't have a college degree HR won't even let you interview for another position if you don't qualify (so if you have a friend in another dept who can get you a hook up with another position just forget it) there is really no room for growth here it's so sad because this place has a lot of potential.

Advice to Management

Stop having these stupid company events and parties and pay everyone more. This company is a joke when all we're doing is making that ceo Thai richer than what she already is. Also don't be so quick to discriminate against individuals with NO college degree. I can do everyone's job in this place degree or not.

5. Great, young culture, but they produce robots and the pay is below horrible

Current Employee - Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Young culture, good for right out of college students. Great cafeteria (not close to free), ping pong tables, relaxed atmosphere all around. Good perks, because you work with big partners (HP, Microsoft, Apple). Free lunch and breakfasts occasionally. You don't take your work home with you and have a lot of free time to do what you want basically. Good to put on the resume for some experience. Free gym to members, small but does the job. Gym and ping pong are probably my favorite perks.

Cons

The pay is just god awful even for a kid right out of college. 30k salary is way below industry average which makes you think the higher ups don't care for this position as they bring in a new training class every 2 weeks. The turnover rate is very high. They say commission first year, but you won't see any of that until basically 9 months into the job. You have to be there for 6 months to be eligible for commission, than work the full 7th month and get that commission which doesn't pay out until the last paycheck of the 8th month.. so basically like I said, not til the 9th month begins.. So have fun living off of 30k salary...

Advice to Management

I have a great manager so I can't complain. They should train better though, you get put in a 2-3 week training course that is slow as a snail and basically teaches you nothing about the real on the job process.

6. SHI

Current Employee - Mobility Sales Specialist in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Mobility Sales Specialist in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

company that is growing year after year
    positive working environment

Cons

concerns about career pathways and rooms for growth within

7. What SHI can offer you

Current Employee - Dell Quest Sales Support Specialist in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Dell Quest Sales Support Specialist in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Headquarters has an onsite nurse, onsite gym and trainer, you're not generally micromanaged, and you feel like the managers, directors, and higher ups in the company do care about your well being and success. Great starting position and introduction into the reseller industry. If you are a senior Account Executive, or strategic account manager you make quite a lot of money,

Cons

Often times, as an agnostic reseller, you almost compete against your own colleagues and there are at times barriers to working together with other teams supporting different vendors (for example, you could be on the Dell team trying to work with the Microsoft team, but they won't work with you because you could take their customer). Also a lot of the work you do (at least as sales support) goes generally unnoticed, ignored, or unrecognized. the ceiling is very low and vertical growth in the same team is highly unlikely.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be more willing to work together. There needs to be more unity in the company otherwise the internal competition defeats the ability for teams to make as much money as they possibly could.

8. Good job to get out of college

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a fresh and young environment

Cons

It is tedious, and repetetive work

Advice to Management

Tone down the culture of micromanaging employees

It's okay for right out of college

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, real team environment, everyone helps each other regardless of team or function, lots of fun events, career advancement, committed to hiring from within, HR is really helpful, lots of random and unexpected opportunities to use other talents you may have

Cons

starting pay too low, no real on-boarding process, it could be depending on the team, but putting in long hours and extra effort gets you nowhere

Advice to Management

reward effort and going the extra mile, this would require the manager to actually manage. Know who's shopping and youtube-ing all day and who's trying, also allow those who have proven themselves to work from home occasionally, make it less obvious who favorites are

Great Culture!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities galore, friendly and satisfying work environment. Extremely busy, challenging, time flies by.

Cons

Salaries are low compared to the national averages.

Advice to Management

Rapid growth requires rapid responses; management needs to be more proactive and more willing to help their teams during busy times. Roll up your sleeves and help your department. Be generous with positive feedback, it goes a long way.

11. SHI is a great place to build a lifelong career!!

Current Employee - Human Resources Administrative in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Human Resources Administrative in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A fast growing company brimming with diverse culture, professionalism can be found at every corner but SHI still knows how to bring fun to the office environment.

Cons

Being involved with a fast growing company equals out to a LOT of work, working long hours is nothing new to an SHI employees but our passion drives us to excel.

Advice to Management

Any manager at SHI earned their position by dedicating themselves to this company. The management team is professional and yet cordial, they walk the perfect line between professionalism and amiability.