SHI International

SHI International Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Jul 10, 2014

SHI International President and CEO Thai Lee

Thai Lee

Pros
  • It can be a laid back, flexible work place but that can also depend on your manager(in 10 reviews)

• Surrounded by lots of great people who have the flexibility to be creative and provide feedback to executive management for improvements(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Inside sales reps in Austin are offered 3 times the starting base pay of inside reps in NJ(in 8 reviews)

• Low base salaries for experienced sales reps so the financial peaks and valleys can be extreme(in 6 reviews)

29 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Comfortable work enviroment

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Somerset, NJ

ProsFlex hours, good pay if you sell alot of high margin product and services, friendly co-workers who are often very helpful. Women and minority owned.

Conslots of low margin products, some staff are in their positions just because of their tenure..

Advice to Senior Managementconsider everthing that is being said and listen all opinions.

IAM

Inside Account Manager (Current Employee) Somerset, NJ

ProsFun, young environment. Great management. Ability to grow within the company. Overall good company. Gym in building is an extra perk.

ConsPretty boring work. Desk job. Could be on a really great team or could be on a terrible one. Mainly based on luck and up to your training managers discretion. Not much of a challenging role

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure training program and placement procedures

Satisfied

Inside Sales Account Manager (Current Employee) Somerset, NJ

ProsGreat work culture. Laid back depending on your manager. Room for growth if you put in the effort to stand out. Busy enough so you're not bored, but not so busy that you're overworked.

ConsVery young workplace. Over 30 is overage in the Inside sales position (Entry Level). Low pay but equal for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementJob advancement is too heavily based on time with the company and not based on experience.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Experienced professionals beware!

Sales Support (Current Employee) Somerset, NJ

ProsWoman owned company, pregnant woman friendly. Free reserved parking ; just get prego.
    -Commons area has added games like Dave and Busters for you to enjoy.
    -A Gym and classes you can take.

ConsNo growth, No or little raise, Company grew too fast and got too cheap.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your business and employees better not just the God fathered people who started in 1989. Value and respect, invest in your employees. Stop being cheap, and hiring college grads with art degrees. Stop using DOS, for your internal system; aka SHOES. Become effective, use the products you resell for your own business instead of cheaply like referring to Excel as an ERP system. And lastly, stick to your niche. Investing in cloud business and branding it as SHI, is a terrible idea. Customers dont wanr that. Leave cloud to the pros.

Great if you're a longtime employee, not so much for new ones

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Somerset, NJ

ProsYou'll certainly get a great overview of the IT industry, as well as the opportunity to make plenty of industry contacts. Learn what you can (which is a lot) and take that experience to your next job.

ConsIf you began working for SHI between 1996 and 2002, congratulations. You're part of the elite that was promoted to management and apparently can do no wrong. (To be fair, some of the managers meeting this criteria are very good at what they do, but others ... eek.) if you came afterwards, you're guaranteed to do a lot of the work and to get little thanks in terms of compensation or advancement. It's a very political environment - employees don't call it "SHI High" for nothing - and who you know is way more important than your quality of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop running the company like its 1998. You say you're making all the right moves but look closely - middle management all works for their own agenda, and not cooperatively. And some managers need to start delegating more work to the people who actually report to them (who are pretty good at what they do!) rather than trying to do everything themselves so they get all the credit.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Cube Farm Work Horse

Inside Account Manager (Current Employee) Somerset, NJ

ProsGood job right out of college - dont expect much else
    Various vendor events
    Some managers are fantastic like mine. They care about you and want to help - but are shut down by higher management when they make suggestions to make things better

ConsIts a cube farm. Sit at your desk, place orders, deal with crap from customers/vendors, dont talk to anyone. Yes you have vendor events, you get free stuff and food but its all perks for a crap job. Its work work work with no bonus. We dont get paid enough for what we do. It could be a blizzard outside - horrible conditions ex. Hurricane Sandy - and they still expect you to come in and take away PTO days if you do not. I am currently applying to other jobs to leave this place. They dont care about you. Youre just a number. High turn over.

Good for right out of school for "experience" then leave - I dont know how some people stay here this long

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about your employees. A ping pong table will not make up for the fact that you take away our PTO for horrible weather conditions. We dont get paid enough to kill ourselves and come into work.

Great company to gain experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Somerset, NJ

ProsI've been here going on 3 years and it's been great. The company is growing so there are opportunities for growth within the company. Every place has some cons, but overall this is a great place to work with a great vibe.

Opportunities to learn, managers who want to help you advance, amazing culture, and (mostly) awesome co-workers

ConsLow pay, really my only issue

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees (if they are good at what they do) more to have qualified teams to support the business.

review company

Contracts Manager (Former Employee) Somerset, NJ

ProsVery youthful colleagues, high energy, good atmosphere, great HR.

ConsNot enough work in a small start-up group, made it very difficult to go in every day and look for things to do. Now I'm back to drawing board.

Account Exectuive

Account Executive (Current Employee) New Brunswick, NJ

ProsGreat oppurtunities for learning IT industry

ConsAs company grows and profits rise some employees are not compensated for hardwork No Recognition or appreciation from Upper management HR

Advice to Senior ManagementJust to be aware that we are people and not just numbers Fix HR constant taking away of benefits

SHI Review

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Somerset, NJ

ProsGood Company to work for, in terms of working at Headquarters,

Consas for the warehouse,
    I wouldn't suggest working there.

Worked for SHI International? Contribute to the Community!