SHI International Reviews

Reset
3.3
SHI International President and CEO Thai Lee
Thai Lee

Pros
  • Laid back depending on your manager (in 10 reviews)

• Great place to start an IT sales career, sort of like IT Boot Camp (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Inside sales' commission is a joke compared to outside sales, considering we do all of the day-to-day business to keep customers (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management has NO connection to sales teams (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great company and coworkers - a place to stay and grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The environment is nothing like your typical IT sales company. I've met some of my closest friends at work and really enjoyed my coworkers and managers along my path to a very successful and challenging career. SHI also provides great benefits and job security. The free on-site health clinic, gym, cafe and numerous employee/partner social events make the work environment very satisfying. Plus SHI is one of the few companies out there that continues to put up record sales numbers every year. Great place to work, definitely somewhere that fits into my long-term career goals.

Cons

Upper management tends to have poor management skills and not have enough of a connection with what's going on with everyday employees. The company and employees would really benefit from management-level training. Managers should also have more accountability for their actions.

Advice to Management

Consider a work from home policy for tenured employees. The work world is becoming increasingly mobile, so employees who are trusted and have proven themselves over time should be allowed to work from home on occasion. Also consider extra vacation time/reward for 10+, 15+ and 20+ employees as a "thank you" for the commitment, dedication and hard work over the years. Milestones like these are not common in the IT industry, and should be rewarded.

2. Desktop support

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Bound Brook, NJ
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Bound Brook, NJ

I worked at SHI International (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Nothing, great company to work for

3. Linecook

Current Employee - Line Cook/Grill in Staten Island, NY
    Current Employee - Line Cook/Grill in Staten Island, NY

I have been working at SHI International (Less than a year)

Pros

Hi volume fast pace environment

Cons

Only 25 hours a week

Great Start for Young Grads

I worked at SHI International full-time

Pros

Extremely good amenities for the busy man (full sized gym, as big as some of the gyms I've worked out in here in NYC) Basketball court, room for lateral movement if you decide you want to dive into a different area.

Cons

Not much room for growth, and the vacation policy is not something to write home about as it is included with your total PTO.

Advice to Management

Promote and empower people to grow within their roles so that they'll want to keep working there. Offer lucrative salary and performance-based raises!

6. Increase salaries to align closer to the region in which we live! $3k a yr doesn't cut it!!

I have been working at SHI International full-time

Pros

Great employee benefits; Fitness center, In-house full restaurant, Clinic etc..

Cons

Salary is much lower then the national average & for a company that is located in the tri-state area having such a low compensation makes absolutely no sense. They constantly talk about being a $6billion+ company with over 3k employee's but fail to increase tenured employee's (+ 2years) salaries a year by more then 3k at a time. Ridiculous!

Advice to Management

I cannot stress this enough; You must motivate & guide your teams!! Gossiping about everything and not acknowledging them or thanking them for a job well done is a sure way to lose their support & motivation!!!

7. Great company culture, limited advancement opp for non-sales

I have been working at SHI International

Pros

Young & vibrant company culture with tenured management. Great for entry level applicants.

Cons

Few perks & limited growth opportunities for non-sales employees.

8. Inside Account Manager

Former Employee - Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent growing company. Great Benefits. I love how majority of the company is young. There is unlimited coffee there! Also vendors come in and frequently buy lunches and other types of snacks for you and it is quality food

Cons

There really is no cons to the company. Everyone is very friendly and supportive there. There is a two strike and you are out policy.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Keep up the good work and I'm sure SHI will thrive even more.

9. Solution Architect

I worked at SHI International (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of pros. I really enjoyed working at SHI, people are absolutely great, I had great and supportive managers and Thai (owner/CEO) is simply the best. SHI's systems are updated, great facilities, gym, cafeteria, nurse, games and so on. Benefits were good but expensive. I can't say enough how great SHI was to work. I definitely miss the culture and people.

Cons

Now the not so good... For me, it was mainly the salary. For whatever reason, salaries at SHI are well below the industry average. Yearly raise is good to have when other companies are cutting back, but again well below where they should be. Bonus was not good at all either. It became more difficult each year to justify staying there. I loved the company and people but I also had to make a living. I left for a vendor and immediately increased my salary dramatically.

Advice to Management

My advice is simple, pay your loyal employees fairly so they don't have to look elsewhere to make a decent living. Other than that, SHI is an amazing company who I'll always love.

10. Opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

On your first day at SHI you will encounter supportive, like-minded and fun co-workers, some of which will become trusted friends over time. You will increase your earning potential as you build a career in a growing industry and develop an understanding of both the business and technical aspects of IT. You will pick up skills and expertise you never new existed but are vital to virtually every business, school and government agency in the world. Over time you will encounter abundant entrepreneurial opportunities available to those willing to pursue.

Cons

There are no "cons" specific to SHI that do not exist elsewhere. Like any long-term career, you will encounter sometimes difficult times but you will be empowered to find the solution.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide "old-fashioned" world-class customer service as you continue to evolve with the ever-changing IT industry. In other words: stay the course.

BDM

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International (More than 3 years)

Pros

SHI is compromised of the best, most humble, talented, fun, and passionate people. Employees are treated somewhat decently, the benefits are average. Thai sits on the floor with the team and frequently works on Saturdays.

Cons

SHI does not provide a clear career pathway. Unless you are extremely lucky you will be told "if you want to make money at SHI, your best bet is to leave the company and come back, we only offer lateral moves" For a technology company SHI could really use some updates to their infrastructure.

Advice to Management

I understand that you do not want to push back on HR or step on toes, but please for the sake of SHI's future, for the sake of actually holding onto truly talented folks, demand some re-org in HR management.

RSS Feed </> Embed