SHI International Reviews

141 reviews filtered by
3.1
SHI International President and CEO Thai Lee
Thai Lee

Pros
  • It can be a laid back, flexible work place but that can also depend on your manager (in 10 reviews)

• Great place to work, definitely somewhere that fits into my long-term career goals (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Inside sales reps in Austin are offered 3 times the starting base pay of inside reps in NJ (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management is part of a good ole boys club that came from one of SHIs competitors (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great company and coworkers - a place to stay and grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The environment is nothing like your typical IT sales company. I've met some of my closest friends at work and really enjoyed my coworkers and managers along my path to a very successful and challenging career. SHI also provides great benefits and job security. The free on-site health clinic, gym, cafe and numerous employee/partner social events make the work environment very satisfying. Plus SHI is one of the few companies out there that continues to put up record sales numbers every year. Great place to work, definitely somewhere that fits into my long-term career goals.

Cons

Upper management tends to have poor management skills and not have enough of a connection with what's going on with everyday employees. The company and employees would really benefit from management-level training. Managers should also have more accountability for their actions.

Advice to Management

Consider a work from home policy for tenured employees. The work world is becoming increasingly mobile, so employees who are trusted and have proven themselves over time should be allowed to work from home on occasion. Also consider extra vacation time/reward for 10+, 15+ and 20+ employees as a "thank you" for the commitment, dedication and hard work over the years. Milestones like these are not common in the IT industry, and should be rewarded.

2. It's a job, nothing more, nothing less.

I have been working at SHI International

Pros

It's not really an organization prone to mass layoffs, so there's that.

Cons

People are surly, clique-ish and unhelpful. For your entire "career" at SHI, you're more than likely to be doing the same exact job you were hired at.

Advice to Management

Don't put ping pong tables in the cafeteria and start calling the place Google, okay?

Worst and best job I have ever had

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Hiring process was a breeze. Took about a week. The laid back dress code (you can pretty much wear whatever you want) I can listen to my headphones all day and/or use my cell without hiding it.

Cons

The pay sucks. When I started here I was making $23,500 a year (mind you everyone who works here is salary only except for warehouse) not paying too much attention to my starting salary I was just happy to find another job so quickly....until I got my first paycheck. If it wasn't so hard finding another job when I first started here I woulda been out the door after my second paycheck. Now I am making 25k a year...still not much but it has improved. Things were so bad I had to get a part time job which doing both now is making me hate SHI even more for paying me so poorly. The employees are rude (nobody holds the door for you let alone says thank you when you hold for them) the gym is too small with only 2 stupid showers in the locker room like really?! I wouldn't recommend this job to my worst enemy. Oh and the very worst...if you don't have a college degree HR won't even let you interview for another position if you don't qualify (so if you have a friend in another dept who can get you a hook up with another position just forget it) there is really no room for growth here it's so sad because this place has a lot of potential.

Advice to Management

Stop having these stupid company events and parties and pay everyone more. This company is a joke when all we're doing is making that ceo Thai richer than what she already is. Also don't be so quick to discriminate against individuals with NO college degree. I can do everyone's job in this place degree or not.

You can polish a turd, but it's still a turd...

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager/Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you are single, you might hook up with a coworker at one of the company sponsored events (they have offsite events usually on W. 6th that involve free alcohol). This place is a meat market: they intentionally hire good looking ladies. "Sex sells" ?

Cons

1. Nonexistent training (Not one technical sales support or salesperson possesses even a Network+ certification).
    2. Industry standards and best practices are not practiced or adhered to (only a matter of time until we hear about customer data being stolen or leaked from this company).
    3. Agree with another review "Diligent effort is not rewarded": favoritism is clearly seen throughout promotions, assigning book of business, and what some employees are allowed to get away with.
    4. Unreasonable expectations: 50 dials per day required in the Inside Account Executive position. 50 calls x 5 minutes per call (speak to secretary, leave voice-mail, annotate account in CRM) = 4.16 hours per day... on top of this you are then expected to create quotes, handle purchase orders, attend numerous pointless meetings.
    5. People are promoted and demoted without rhyme or reason (Multiple managers have been promoted to director positions, and then demoted within 6 months. How does this help drive productivity?)

Advice to Management

Hire the right people for the right positions.
    Focus on quality of work rather than quantity of dials.
    Train your people! Makes sense for salespeople to have some knowledge about what they are selling.

Honest review of SHI

I worked at SHI International

Pros

- Great co-workers. Everyone bans together because everyone is in the same drinking boat.
    - Free food. Catered meals twice a week.
    -Great experience. This is the biggest PRO. You will become so marketable in the IT industry. Be prepared to game your LinkedIn inbox to be flooded with recruiters requesting phone interviews.

Cons

Too many to list.

-Management. It really depends on who you get as a manager but it all likelihood you will get an inexperienced manager. My manager was an unproven sales rep that had no leadership skills nor the people skills to lead a team.

-College/unprofessional workplace. Be prepared for a very unprofessional workplace. Very distasteful sales floor.

-Micromanaging. The metrics do not make any sense at SHI. The management does not really take in consideration of the workload that we do on a daily basis. The only thing management care about is themselves.

-Culture. The morale on the floor is at an all time low when I left. As SHI grew, IT started to become everything that upper management said it wouldn't be. I would have to blame upper management on this one.

-Work/life balance. Is non-existent. It's frown upon to take any vacation or PTO. If you are lucky to get days off, your manager will constantly demand tasks out of you to make sure you are thinking off work while you are out of the office. You are also expected to work after hours every day.

-Sinking ship. SHI is trending downwards on everything hence why a lot of reps are leaving the company.

Advice to Management

I would put something here but it would get ignored since upper management does not listen to their reps.

Lack of respect and micromanaged sinking ship

Current Employee - IAE in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - IAE in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-used to have great start up feel and freedom
    -coworkers are great for making new friends
    -catered lunch by vendors and lots of happy hours
    -if you are a political favorite and are handed good accounts, commission can be lucrative
    -close to downtown

Cons

-50 cold calls a day to IT professionals
    -management is a nightmare, has no problem acting like they don't care about turnover because they are simply hiring any recent graduate that applies and replacing those that quit
    -micromanaging, always a new metric to hit/product push= less time to do the job that actually makes you money
    -firing/moving around managers without any transparency
    -sales team keeps on increasing but support roles are not
    -college-esque culture has creeped all the way up to management style
    -Live and die by the 8-5...150% to quota? SIT DOWN AND GET TO WORK

Advice to Management

Catered lunches doesn't equal a good working environment.

8. Good if you just graduated

I worked at SHI International

Pros

Great place to make money and learn sales.

Cons

Management plays musical chairs all the time. They just hire employees rather than develop the ones they already have.

9. Glorified Call Center

Former Employee - Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

SHI provides a young and energetic culture to work in. At times, it may seem like a frat house or club, but that's what makes it fun. Free lunches provided by suppliers!

Cons

Competition among co-workers is extremely high. If you expect to survive, you will take your work home and work long extra hours. EXTRA LONG! Managers don't care much! They encourage you to lie and do what ever it takes to reach the person in charge of "IT purchasing" to sell. Unless, you're willing to trade in your soul, I advise you to run for the hills.

Advice to Management

Take more time to listen to IAE's needs.

Not recomended.

I worked at SHI International

Pros

Short commute - saves on gas.

Cons

It is made clear through the actions of senior management and the Human Resources department that you don’t matter, you are replaceable, and therefore there is no need to take your concerns seriously. As far the salary, the amount that each position starts at is at the bottom end of the average salary for similar positions at other companies, and raises are few and far between (sometimes non-existent). If it wasn’t for the fact that there are labor laws in this country, you get the feeling this company would be run like a Dickensian workhouse that has employees leaving work at the end of the day with the proverbial soot covering their faces, just in time to return their low wages to the company store in exchange for some bread, and single ply toilet paper.

The opportunity for career advancement is slim to none, with few jobs being posted internally that do not have very specific requirments such a years of experience in a similar position. Why would you be working in an entry level sales or support position at SHI if you already had the years of experience necessary to do something else entireley? You are more likely to win the lotto jackpot on your birthday, while a unicorn gives you and all your friends high-fives, than make a non-lateral move in the comapny.

The morale amongst the employees I’ve spoken to is a similar to the crew of a doomed ship, slowly sinking into the unforgiving, brutally cold Atlantic. You need to get out of there as soon as possible, but where else are you going to go? Better Job Island was destroyed in the war, and is now completely uninhabitable.

Another problem is the distinct frat house culture surrounding the just out of college 22-year-olds, who are placated by the free lunches bought for them by vendors in a misguided attempt to encourage the sale of their products. This kind of behavior seems to be encouraged, rather than looked down upon. Ping Pong tables are scattered throughout the lobby area in an effort to manufacture a false sense of enjoyment. If I wanted to see college frat antics I'd pop in a DVD of Animal House, but I'm at work, not the backyard of my best bro Ogre's parent's house while Mommy and Daddy are away on vacation.

In a better job market it would be pretty hard for SHI to build up a staff. I do not reccomend working here.

Advice to Management

Read the cons.

Experienced professionals beware!

Current Employee - Sales Support in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Support in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Woman owned company, pregnant woman friendly. Free reserved parking ; just get prego.
    -Commons area has added games like Dave and Busters for you to enjoy.
    -A Gym and classes you can take.

Cons

No growth, No or little raise, Company grew too fast and got too cheap.

Advice to Management

Treat your business and employees better not just the God fathered people who started in 1989. Value and respect, invest in your employees. Stop being cheap, and hiring college grads with art degrees. Stop using DOS, for your internal system; aka SHOES. Become effective, use the products you resell for your own business instead of cheaply like referring to Excel as an ERP system. And lastly, stick to your niche. Investing in cloud business and branding it as SHI, is a terrible idea. Customers dont wanr that. Leave cloud to the pros.