SHI International Reviews

Reset
3.2
SHI International President and CEO Thai Lee
Thai Lee

Pros
  • Laid back depending on your manager (in 10 reviews)

• Great place to start an IT sales career, sort of like IT Boot Camp (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Inside sales' commission is a joke compared to outside sales, considering we do all of the day-to-day business to keep customers (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management has NO connection to sales teams (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great company and coworkers - a place to stay and grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The environment is nothing like your typical IT sales company. I've met some of my closest friends at work and really enjoyed my coworkers and managers along my path to a very successful and challenging career. SHI also provides great benefits and job security. The free on-site health clinic, gym, cafe and numerous employee/partner social events make the work environment very satisfying. Plus SHI is one of the few companies out there that continues to put up record sales numbers every year. Great place to work, definitely somewhere that fits into my long-term career goals.

Cons

Upper management tends to have poor management skills and not have enough of a connection with what's going on with everyday employees. The company and employees would really benefit from management-level training. Managers should also have more accountability for their actions.

Advice to Management

Consider a work from home policy for tenured employees. The work world is becoming increasingly mobile, so employees who are trusted and have proven themselves over time should be allowed to work from home on occasion. Also consider extra vacation time/reward for 10+, 15+ and 20+ employees as a "thank you" for the commitment, dedication and hard work over the years. Milestones like these are not common in the IT industry, and should be rewarded.

2. analyst

I have been working at SHI International

Pros

Good Company to work for

Cons

no cons come into my mind right now.

3. Limited advancement potential

Former Employee - Configuration Technician in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Configuration Technician in Newark, NJ

I worked at SHI International (More than a year)

Pros

laid back atmosphere and casual dress code

Cons

only managers pets get the perks

Advice to Management

Find new managers!

5. Inside account manager - Strategic accounts

Current Employee - Inside Account Manager -Strategic in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Inside Account Manager -Strategic in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, young work culture, depending on manager can be a little flexible with hours. Fun events, in-house gym and health clinic.

Cons

Salary/tenured commission could be more competitive.

Advice to Management

Should have a tenured commission scale to incentive staying in sales. Everyone was raised to the highest scale recently, and this took away incentive to stay in sales. Increase vacation days.

Relatively speaking, SHI is AWESOME!

I have been working at SHI International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have only been here a short while, but the company culture is truly nurturing. Every time I meet a new co-worker, I learn they have been there for upwards of 10 years. They are all so very welcoming and truly want to see others succeed. In an organization this size, it is so refreshing to see a high level of professionalism and mutual respect across the board. There are no cliques. Every one greets every one. Every one holds doors for each other. People genuinely care about each other and the company.

Cons

In today's economy, many businesses are looking to do more with less. I can see how it is a delicate balance in a privately held company. Not many draw backs, but bonuses and/or slightly higher salaries would be appreciated. Still, working in a company like SHI is worth the trade off. Also, for some positions, a flex-place work policy would be appreciated.

Advice to Management

Management is doing a fantastic job. Would you consider setting a bonus structure around specific, quantifiable goals? Would you also consider a flex-place policy for positions that don't necessarily need to be located in the office 5 days a week to be productive? Either way, I am not going anywhere. This company keeps growing, despite industry trends. Company culture is excellent. That is more than could be said for many places. SHI is definitely doing a lot of things right.

7. Limited growth in Accounting

I have been working at SHI International

Pros

Great work environment, Nice Campus

Cons

Not much room for growth in Accounting

8. Inside Sales

I worked at SHI International full-time

Pros

-benefits
    -company culture
    -on site fitness center

Cons

-room for advancement limited
    -salary for inside account managers is low

Advice to Management

Make an effort to develop employees straight out of college, it will benefit you in the long run

No place is perfect, but SHI is a great place to work

Current Employee - Business Development Manager
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Tenured employees
    Benefits for staff working at HQ
    Career opportunities
    Empowered employees
    Growing company
    Loyalty to employees

Cons

Salary is not the greatest
    Benefits to employees living outside of HQ (can someone say gym memberships?)
    Need some customer-facing mobile apps/sites

Advice to Management

Put more resources into hiring/training technical employees for the field
    Design some polished mobile apps/sites for clients to place orders, see status

10. Great Company

I have been working at SHI International full-time

Pros

Great company for someone starting out in the IT field or business sector, but with plenty of room to grow and flourish.

Cons

HR isn't the best, but it never is in any company haha.

11. prepare to feel expendable

I have been working at SHI International full-time

Pros

relaxed environment if you get a good manager or get to work for a friend who is a manager. good for new grads to get sales experience for their resumes.

Cons

slashes benefits each year while making increasing profits. bonuses are gone. 10% coinsurance means you have to pay up to $6k out of pocket for health expenses (on top of your copays/premium). Instituted health plan requirements so they can raise your premium if you don't hit certain health/weight targets. dead-end job unless you are friends with the right people. stingy paid time off/ holidays. bad weather policies put employees at risk - they take forever to make a determination about letting people leave early or being closed, so you will have to risk your life on the roads unless you use some of your limited PTO. they don't allow people to work from home either. no one in HR can give you a straight answer about any policy. for a woman-owned company, not very supportive of working moms (unless you get the right manager).

they just got some bad feedback from a "best places to work" survey, so expect some biased reviews from the cheerleaders.

Advice to Management

restore 100% in-network coverage for health plan. restore benefits and raise salaries to attract better new employees. hire more people for the chronically understaffed non-sales departments. stop treating tenured employees as if they are completely replaceable.

RSS Feed </> Embed