SHI International Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
3.2

SHI International President and CEO Thai Lee
Thai Lee

Pros
  • It can be a laid back, flexible work place but that can also depend on your manager (in 10 reviews)

• Surrounded by lots of great people who have the flexibility to be creative and provide feedback to executive management for improvements (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Inside sales reps in Austin are offered 3 times the starting base pay of inside reps in NJ (in 8 reviews)

• Low base salaries for experienced sales reps so the financial peaks and valleys can be extreme (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

A company that will help you grow as it continues to grow

I have been working at SHI International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have been able to grow on a lot of different levels both personally and professionally while working here. As a company, the motivation to continue to strive for greatness is contagious! Not only is the company working as a One Stop Shop experience for the customers day in and day out, I feel it is a One Stop Shop experience for the employees—the environment is one where you can learn, grow, and continue to be creative with the resources available making it exciting to come to work every day.

Cons

A challenge that stands out, is that you need to keep up with the fast pace that has been created due to the hard work that everyone is putting into motion.

To continue to support your teams on every level as much as possible as we continue to grow!

Excellent place to work for

Former Employee - Lead Tech  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Lead Tech in Miami, FL

I worked at SHI International as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Benefits and quality of service

Cons

Contract did not last long with att

Great company and only getting better!

I have been working at SHI International full-time

Pros

Great company that truly cares about their employees. Tons of room for growth and career advancement.

Cons

no cons for this company.

Keep doing what you are doing and the company will continue to grow.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting

I have been working at SHI International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very Interesting environment with some of the most entertaining/encouraging co-workers. Seems everyone gets a moderately different experience when entering SHI. Territories are assigned to individuals randomly after you complete training. The territories correlated to income potential vary greatly. It's a lot of work(years), but can be very rewarding.

Cons

It can also be quite a frustration when luck and persistent pay off; only to be rewarded with an error not previously percieved. The back-end/systems of this company really need an upgrade. Feels like luck is more of the name of the game here. No real competitive differentiators.

Work on the back-end systems, and see retention/sales grow. Maybe consider adding some sort of compelling incentive to stay longer.

Good, not great

Former Employee - Inside Account Executive  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people on your sales team are the best part of the job. Young sales team that are all more than happy to help you.

Cons

Stressful. Hitting your quota is a must and if you fail to do so for over 3 months, they will find you a new position...

Build smaller sales teams.

Scare Tactics

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International full-time

Pros

If you work hard you will be successful. If you have a thick skin, even more so. Lots of company growth which allows for upward mobility. There are many additional perks in the form of food, prizes, off-sites and so on.

Cons

Despite many bright, talented and insightful people in the senior management roles, the very person at the top of the chain governs by principles of rash decisions, closed-mindedness and bull-dogging. Rather than internalizing feedback, promoting innovation and encouraging constructive changes, he communicates a generic, "salesy" message that wreaks a callous, insincerity. What once was a fun, challenging, flexible work-environment, has now become a stifled, confined, corporate cog of a workplace that is gunning to be the next big thing, with little consideration as to how to retain the people that make the company thrive. It feels like a dictatorship.
    Where's the democracy?

Listen to the feedback being given and then work to not only communicate the changes being made, but work on overall transparency in terms of why things are being done.
    People are starting to leave just as quickly as they are being hired.

Not recomended.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at SHI International

Pros

Short commute - saves on gas.

Cons

It is made clear through the actions of senior management and the Human Resources department that you don’t matter, you are replaceable, and therefore there is no need to take your concerns seriously. As far the salary, the amount that each position starts at is at the bottom end of the average salary for similar positions at other companies, and raises are few and far between (sometimes non-existent). If it wasn’t for the fact that there are labor laws in this country, you get the feeling this company would be run like a Dickensian workhouse that has employees leaving work at the end of the day with the proverbial soot covering their faces, just in time to return their low wages to the company store in exchange for some bread, and single ply toilet paper.

The opportunity for career advancement is slim to none, with few jobs being posted internally that do not have very specific requirments such a years of experience in a similar position. Why would you be working in an entry level sales or support position at SHI if you already had the years of experience necessary to do something else entireley? You are more likely to win the lotto jackpot on your birthday, while a unicorn gives you and all your friends high-fives, than make a non-lateral move in the comapny.

The morale amongst the employees I’ve spoken to is a similar to the crew of a doomed ship, slowly sinking into the unforgiving, brutally cold Atlantic. You need to get out of there as soon as possible, but where else are you going to go? Better Job Island was destroyed in the war, and is now completely uninhabitable.

Another problem is the distinct frat house culture surrounding the just out of college 22-year-olds, who are placated by the free lunches bought for them by vendors in a misguided attempt to encourage the sale of their products. This kind of behavior seems to be encouraged, rather than looked down upon. Ping Pong tables are scattered throughout the lobby area in an effort to manufacture a false sense of enjoyment. If I wanted to see college frat antics I'd pop in a DVD of Animal House, but I'm at work, not the backyard of my best bro Ogre's parent's house while Mommy and Daddy are away on vacation.

In a better job market it would be pretty hard for SHI to build up a staff. I do not reccomend working here.

Read the cons.

Great Culture and opportunity for growth

I have been working at SHI International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of opportunity to grow your career and earn good money once you've established yourself

Cons

Starting and building a book of business is really difficult

Great place to get started - opportunity beyond

I have been working at SHI International full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of opportunity to learn about exciting technology.
    Potential to be very lucrative in a short period of time.
    Company and partner manufacturers work hard to provide a fun environment for employees.
    There is plenty of opportunity to find new roles across the company and across the US.

Cons

Increasingly challenging quota attainment - the opening position has a seemingly short shelf life.
    The number of new reps creates a challenging learning environment for new teams.

Great at first but a lot has changed

I have been working at SHI International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Co-workers
    Great pay, if you're good at what you do
    Great benefits and perks
    Majority of the time, no micro managing

Cons

Management is a mess. One day it's this and the next is the complete opposite.
    Hiring way too people
    Call center attitude
    Management is too worried about dials and stuff that doesn't make the reps money.
    Too many unnecessary meetings(just let me work, it's sales)
    Our system tools are the worst in the business
    A LOT of favoritism(I even have to "brown-nose" to get accounts thrown to me)

Let's take a step back in the SMB space. We have voiced our opinions for months now, but little has changed. Our work space is starting become a call center. Please stop preaching on numbers that do not make us money.

Worked for SHI International? Contribute to the Community!