SHI International Reviews

Updated May 2, 2015
144 reviews filtered by

1. Great out of college experience, but be warned.

Former Employee - Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- You will learn sales and be able to absolutely succeed in any future sales jobs.
    - High job security if you work hard (not a meat grinder sales company)

Cons

*Painful watching less strategic and less hard working colleagues being handed entire books of business. This happens quite a bit and can be massively discouraging watching people who work half as hard as you handed the best accounts!*

2. volume hardware and software reseller excelling in customer service

Current Employee - Sales in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Sales in Remote, OR

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great culture and teamwork.
    benefits OK.
    minority/woman run business can get SHI in the door, especially in govt accounts

Cons

re: Sales -- Corp Sales team cannibalizes business from Enterprise AE's.
    Tough for new people, especially in Sales, as established AE's keep accounts they've developed over many years.

Advice to Management

make it easier for new people -- especially new people working remotely -- to assimilate -- perhaps by having a mentor program.

3. Account executive in their public sector

Current Employee - Account Executive in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of flexibility and potential to make a lot of money

Cons

Changing sales structure makes it difficult to work

Advice to Management

Be consistent

5. Great conpany

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people nice environment good lunches

Cons

A lot of turnaround, at the top level

Great job - Low pay for most

Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a great chance to work in outside sales, the job itself was pleasant for me, lots of resources internally, except technical resources in the field.

Cons

No technical resources in the field. Each office of about 15 reps would have 3 people who actually make decent money. Everyone else is a turn and burn employee to bring in accounts for the top dogs. You can become a top dog just have to starve for the first 9-18 months or be lucky/successful right out of the gate. The president of the company out of Austin is a bit on the strange side. He gets involved with each district and employee and acts very erradically to the point of - does he suffer from psychosis? But seriously, does he? My manager was pretty good, but I can make a lot more money elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Spread the love! Give people with experience accounts when they come in and they will stay and work harder!

Good culture, good compensation if you are smart and willing to work hard.

Current Employee - Senior Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good compensation if you're smart and willing to work hard. There are definitely a lot of reps that will not make it at SHI - some for lack of effort, some for lack of talent. The job is not easy, but it's do-able and if you can cut it you can make a lot of money.

Cons

Rapid growth = growing pains, but there's also a lot of opportunity for advancement. Cold calling can be mundane, and make no mistake about it, this job is all cold calling in the beginning, but as you cultivate your business the cold calling will minimize and it's more about maintaining relationships. SHI throws A LOT at you, the mission can feel confused and distracted at times.

8. It's a job, nothing more, nothing less.

I have been working at SHI International

Pros

It's not really an organization prone to mass layoffs, so there's that.

Cons

People are surly, clique-ish and unhelpful. For your entire "career" at SHI, you're more than likely to be doing the same exact job you were hired at.

Advice to Management

Don't put ping pong tables in the cafeteria and start calling the place Google, okay?

Good company, great people

Current Employee - Account Executive in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SHI has great leadership and tremendous resources. You're given ample opportunity to build your business and have a wealth of internal technical contacts to support your efforts. As a large (and still growing) reseller, SHI is committed to getting to the top and bringing its top contributors with them. The culture is second to none, and they make sure to embody the "work hard, play hard" mantra at every possible opportunity.

Cons

Large size and rapid growth can often lead to growing pains. In SHI's case, the challenge falls to the sales managers and reps to ensure that growth quotas are met despite changing focus and shifting resources. I would say that the only drawback to SHI as a whole is that their business system is still very dynamic and not fully developed. Give them time, and they'll be unstoppable. From a field perspective, the technical resources available are limited (again as a result of rapid growth).

Worst and best job I have ever had

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hiring process was a breeze. Took about a week. The laid back dress code (you can pretty much wear whatever you want) I can listen to my headphones all day and/or use my cell without hiding it.

Cons

The pay sucks. When I started here I was making $23,500 a year (mind you everyone who works here is salary only except for warehouse) not paying too much attention to my starting salary I was just happy to find another job so quickly....until I got my first paycheck. If it wasn't so hard finding another job when I first started here I woulda been out the door after my second paycheck. Now I am making 25k a year...still not much but it has improved. Things were so bad I had to get a part time job which doing both now is making me hate SHI even more for paying me so poorly. The employees are rude (nobody holds the door for you let alone says thank you when you hold for them) the gym is too small with only 2 stupid showers in the locker room like really?! I wouldn't recommend this job to my worst enemy. Oh and the very worst...if you don't have a college degree HR won't even let you interview for another position if you don't qualify (so if you have a friend in another dept who can get you a hook up with another position just forget it) there is really no room for growth here it's so sad because this place has a lot of potential.

Advice to Management

Stop having these stupid company events and parties and pay everyone more. This company is a joke when all we're doing is making that ceo Thai richer than what she already is. Also don't be so quick to discriminate against individuals with NO college degree. I can do everyone's job in this place degree or not.

11. Great, young culture, but they produce robots and the pay is below horrible

Current Employee - Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Young culture, good for right out of college students. Great cafeteria (not close to free), ping pong tables, relaxed atmosphere all around. Good perks, because you work with big partners (HP, Microsoft, Apple). Free lunch and breakfasts occasionally. You don't take your work home with you and have a lot of free time to do what you want basically. Good to put on the resume for some experience. Free gym to members, small but does the job. Gym and ping pong are probably my favorite perks.

Cons

The pay is just god awful even for a kid right out of college. 30k salary is way below industry average which makes you think the higher ups don't care for this position as they bring in a new training class every 2 weeks. The turnover rate is very high. They say commission first year, but you won't see any of that until basically 9 months into the job. You have to be there for 6 months to be eligible for commission, than work the full 7th month and get that commission which doesn't pay out until the last paycheck of the 8th month.. so basically like I said, not til the 9th month begins.. So have fun living off of 30k salary...

Advice to Management

I have a great manager so I can't complain. They should train better though, you get put in a 2-3 week training course that is slow as a snail and basically teaches you nothing about the real on the job process.