SHI International Reviews

Updated March 24, 2015
138 reviews filtered by

1. It's a job, nothing more, nothing less.

I have been working at SHI International

Pros

It's not really an organization prone to mass layoffs, so there's that.

Cons

People are surly, clique-ish and unhelpful. For your entire "career" at SHI, you're more than likely to be doing the same exact job you were hired at.

Don't put ping pong tables in the cafeteria and start calling the place Google, okay?

Good company, great people

Current Employee - Account Executive in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at SHI International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

SHI has great leadership and tremendous resources. You're given ample opportunity to build your business and have a wealth of internal technical contacts to support your efforts. As a large (and still growing) reseller, SHI is committed to getting to the top and bringing its top contributors with them. The culture is second to none, and they make sure to embody the "work hard, play hard" mantra at every possible opportunity.

Cons

Large size and rapid growth can often lead to growing pains. In SHI's case, the challenge falls to the sales managers and reps to ensure that growth quotas are met despite changing focus and shifting resources. I would say that the only drawback to SHI as a whole is that their business system is still very dynamic and not fully developed. Give them time, and they'll be unstoppable. From a field perspective, the technical resources available are limited (again as a result of rapid growth).

Worst and best job I have ever had

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Hiring process was a breeze. Took about a week. The laid back dress code (you can pretty much wear whatever you want) I can listen to my headphones all day and/or use my cell without hiding it.

Cons

The pay sucks. When I started here I was making $23,500 a year (mind you everyone who works here is salary only except for warehouse) not paying too much attention to my starting salary I was just happy to find another job so quickly....until I got my first paycheck. If it wasn't so hard finding another job when I first started here I woulda been out the door after my second paycheck. Now I am making 25k a year...still not much but it has improved. Things were so bad I had to get a part time job which doing both now is making me hate SHI even more for paying me so poorly. The employees are rude (nobody holds the door for you let alone says thank you when you hold for them) the gym is too small with only 2 stupid showers in the locker room like really?! I wouldn't recommend this job to my worst enemy. Oh and the very worst...if you don't have a college degree HR won't even let you interview for another position if you don't qualify (so if you have a friend in another dept who can get you a hook up with another position just forget it) there is really no room for growth here it's so sad because this place has a lot of potential.

Stop having these stupid company events and parties and pay everyone more. This company is a joke when all we're doing is making that ceo Thai richer than what she already is. Also don't be so quick to discriminate against individuals with NO college degree. I can do everyone's job in this place degree or not.

5. Great, young culture, but they produce robots and the pay is below horrible

Current Employee - Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Young culture, good for right out of college students. Great cafeteria (not close to free), ping pong tables, relaxed atmosphere all around. Good perks, because you work with big partners (HP, Microsoft, Apple). Free lunch and breakfasts occasionally. You don't take your work home with you and have a lot of free time to do what you want basically. Good to put on the resume for some experience. Free gym to members, small but does the job. Gym and ping pong are probably my favorite perks.

Cons

The pay is just god awful even for a kid right out of college. 30k salary is way below industry average which makes you think the higher ups don't care for this position as they bring in a new training class every 2 weeks. The turnover rate is very high. They say commission first year, but you won't see any of that until basically 9 months into the job. You have to be there for 6 months to be eligible for commission, than work the full 7th month and get that commission which doesn't pay out until the last paycheck of the 8th month.. so basically like I said, not til the 9th month begins.. So have fun living off of 30k salary...

I have a great manager so I can't complain. They should train better though, you get put in a 2-3 week training course that is slow as a snail and basically teaches you nothing about the real on the job process.

Great Company! Great learning experience! You can make serious coin if you work hard.

Former Employee - Senior Inside Sales Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Inside Sales Account Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Young Fun Culture, Technology Centric, Opportunity to make really good money and sweet rewards(aka SPIFFs),

Cons

Inside Role can lead to burn-out if not careful
    Advancement to outside role in Austin can be slim, better chances if you move outside of Texas

Culture is King, keep the culture!

SHI was a great experience and enjoyed it.

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at SHI International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Selling great products that can project you into a better role down the line
    - Work with great teams
    - Good job of adapting to changes in Technology

Cons

- Too much Micro Management
    - Too much focus on selling items that dont make AE money (example: Commodity Hardware)
    - Turnover on inside teams

Listen to your Sales people.

8. Inside Account Executive

I have been working at SHI International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone is young and ambitious mostly college graduates. Company puts a great emphasis on being socially exciting with fun company parties, HH team outings, and great rewards.

Cons

Do not drink the "kool-aid" that the trainers give you in the in early months. They like to say you will be making lots of money early on, but realistically won't be making anything for atleast 8-9 months and that's not saying much. This job is gruelling and demands alot of time and energy, and upper management only care for metrics. Cold calling sucks.

Grade everyone realistically on an achievable metrics scale especially for newer account representatives.

9. I have been working at SHI International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Energetic organization
    Revenues are growing so for now, things look exciting.
    Excellent place if you are in your 20's and can survive on 50k per year.

Cons

Commission only environment doesn't work for Solution sales.
    Lackluster compensation plan
    Still feels like a transactional sales company trying to say they are solution oriented one overnight and not changing enough to invest in the right talent to accomplish.
    Lots of talk, short on execution.
    Inexperienced management

If you want quality solution sellers, must have a more cohesive Sales Strategy, more competitive commission package and base salary in line with competitors.

10. SHI

Current Employee - Mobility Sales Specialist in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Mobility Sales Specialist in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

company that is growing year after year
    positive working environment

Cons

concerns about career pathways and rooms for growth within

11. What SHI can offer you

Current Employee - Dell Quest Sales Support Specialist in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Dell Quest Sales Support Specialist in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Headquarters has an onsite nurse, onsite gym and trainer, you're not generally micromanaged, and you feel like the managers, directors, and higher ups in the company do care about your well being and success. Great starting position and introduction into the reseller industry. If you are a senior Account Executive, or strategic account manager you make quite a lot of money,

Cons

Often times, as an agnostic reseller, you almost compete against your own colleagues and there are at times barriers to working together with other teams supporting different vendors (for example, you could be on the Dell team trying to work with the Microsoft team, but they won't work with you because you could take their customer). Also a lot of the work you do (at least as sales support) goes generally unnoticed, ignored, or unrecognized. the ceiling is very low and vertical growth in the same team is highly unlikely.

Management needs to be more willing to work together. There needs to be more unity in the company otherwise the internal competition defeats the ability for teams to make as much money as they possibly could.