SHI International Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
3.2

SHI International President and CEO Thai Lee
Thai Lee

Pros
  • It can be a laid back, flexible work place but that can also depend on your manager (in 10 reviews)

• Surrounded by lots of great people who have the flexibility to be creative and provide feedback to executive management for improvements (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Inside sales reps in Austin are offered 3 times the starting base pay of inside reps in NJ (in 8 reviews)

• Low base salaries for experienced sales reps so the financial peaks and valleys can be extreme (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

SHI is a great stepping stone for kids right out of college who want to learn sales.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, lots of young people and fun enviornment

Cons

A lot of changes and moving of managment.

Avoid the Sinking Ship known As SHI Corp.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The one thing that SHI does extremely well is hire great people. I have made a great number of friends/coworkers at this company.

Cons

(SHI CORP ONLY)
    From 2008-2013 The Pay, Benefits, Morale, Learning, Management had been second to none. Unfortunately SHI made changes to their corporate compensation and management structure focusing on highly commoditized items which provides no real value to the customer, the company, or the sales people. Obviously this negatively impacted compensation as well as morale across the entire company.

1. Remove the Disease introduced in mid-2013
    2. Get Back to what made SHI great, Selling thing for a profit...lot's of profit
    3. Treat reps like they are people, and not like cogs in a machine. Try and remember why you left Dell/Softchoice/CDW in the first place.

Sink or Swim

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at SHI International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learn a ton about technology and all the different services that are available to companies. Ability to earn a love of money.

Cons

Market saturation. Lack of clear direction from managers due to rapid growth and ever-changing goals.

Better training and less micro-management

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast Growing Company

I have been working at SHI International

Pros

fast growing company with solid value system

Cons

Work life balance can be difficult to achieve

Cube Farm Work Horse

Current Employee - Inside Account Manager  in  Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good job right out of college - dont expect much else
    Various vendor events
    Some managers are fantastic like mine. They care about you and want to help - but are shut down by higher management when they make suggestions to make things better

Cons

Its a cube farm. Sit at your desk, place orders, deal with crap from customers/vendors, dont talk to anyone. Yes you have vendor events, you get free stuff and food but its all perks for a crap job. Its work work work with no bonus. We dont get paid enough for what we do. It could be a blizzard outside - horrible conditions ex. Hurricane Sandy - and they still expect you to come in and take away PTO days if you do not. I am currently applying to other jobs to leave this place. They dont care about you. Youre just a number. High turn over.

Good for right out of school for "experience" then leave - I dont know how some people stay here this long

Care more about your employees. A ping pong table will not make up for the fact that you take away our PTO for horrible weather conditions. We dont get paid enough to kill ourselves and come into work.

Great if you're a longtime employee, not so much for new ones

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You'll certainly get a great overview of the IT industry, as well as the opportunity to make plenty of industry contacts. Learn what you can (which is a lot) and take that experience to your next job.

Cons

If you began working for SHI between 1996 and 2002, congratulations. You're part of the elite that was promoted to management and apparently can do no wrong. (To be fair, some of the managers meeting this criteria are very good at what they do, but others ... eek.) if you came afterwards, you're guaranteed to do a lot of the work and to get little thanks in terms of compensation or advancement. It's a very political environment - employees don't call it "SHI High" for nothing - and who you know is way more important than your quality of work.

Stop running the company like its 1998. You say you're making all the right moves but look closely - middle management all works for their own agenda, and not cooperatively. And some managers need to start delegating more work to the people who actually report to them (who are pretty good at what they do!) rather than trying to do everything themselves so they get all the credit.

Good opportunity for a beginning IT sales career, but not much else

Former Employee - Corporate Account Executive
    Former Employee - Corporate Account Executive

I worked at SHI International full-time

Pros

Great place to start an IT sales career, sort of like IT Boot Camp. Gives you a great opportunity to learn a little bit about a lot of different products and technologies.

Cons

Stacked-ranking approach to sales management coupled with countless reports and metrics to hit make doing your job successfully impossible, even when hitting sales numbers. There is little time in the day left to actually 'sell' after getting the required administrative tasks completed. Favoritism among management creates animosity on sales teams and can lead to embarrassment at events when reps are singled out as stars and others are ignored. No real value proposition to present to customers due to identical business model as numerous competitors, aside from Minority-Owned Status.

Reduce the amount of administrative tasks you put upon your field sales reps, play fair, provide support, and think about your value prop market by market. What works in one state may not be the approach needed in others.

Great company to gain experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been here going on 3 years and it's been great. The company is growing so there are opportunities for growth within the company. Every place has some cons, but overall this is a great place to work with a great vibe.

Opportunities to learn, managers who want to help you advance, amazing culture, and (mostly) awesome co-workers

Cons

Low pay, really my only issue

Pay employees (if they are good at what they do) more to have qualified teams to support the business.

Its an Animal House

I have been working at SHI International

Pros

Great way to learn IT industry in all ways. You can become very dangerous learning the industry from SHI. Decent pay.

Cons

The leadership says they care...don't believe the hype. Its a shark tank, period. Stay away, lest you be eaten. Very selfish company with a "me me me" mentality. Everyone also constantly passes the buck, unwilling to help. Instead, you get a snarky condescending used car salesman atmosphere. This company has a lot of hubris (just go to a sales conference awards show to see what I mean). However, theres a sprinkling of some genuine good people there.

Realize that just because YOU think you have a value prop that is sooooo good, doesn't mean much. In reality, customers view you as self serving jerks, rather than truly caring consultants. Simplify and hire/train more true professionals rather than some 21 yr old college kids. Your corp division is a bunch of out of control punk kids.

Need to Review Growth Plan & Management Accountability

I worked at SHI International

Pros

-Young, vivacious, but professional environment

Cons

-Management brought in from competitors has skewed company's growth plan & vision
    -Disparity of how management is held accountable for their actions
    -Very stiff consequences for minor offences committed by some individuals and no consequences for larger ones committed by others

For upper management specifically, review the standards to which you hold your managers on the team level (inside & field). Set precedent to what is acceptable/unacceptable behavior and hold all to the same consequences.

Also note, hiring more heads doesn't always equate to more profit.

Worked for SHI International? Contribute to the Community!