SHI International

Glorified Telemarketing

Former Employee - Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time

Pros

There are a lot of young, fun people here. Also- lots of free food and happy hours, etc. They want you to believe this is a real job with fun perks.

Cons

Hmm, where to begin. If you are someone who desires a job where you can actually use your brain (maybe I should say someone WITH a brain...) I would reconsider taking this job. In fact, not having a brain would probably be helpful here because you are essentially a robot performing the exact same tasks as hundreds of other recent grads. This means cold calling at least 50 companies a day WHO DO NOT WANT TO TALK TO YOU. You are encouraged to find ways to get in contact with the IT directors, honest or not. Did you get a college degree? You are probably better than this.

Expect to see a list every day of how many calls and how much talk time everyone in the Inside Account Executive role made the day before. Expect to get in trouble if you do not make these 50 dials every day. That is the most important thing in this job. If that is what you want in a job, good for you.

Maybe you could reconcile performing meaningless tasks hour after hour, day after day for good money but the reality is you probably won't see much commission for a year (so many reps have told me) so you will be surviving on close to 30k. Which doesn't stretch far in Austin.

If you are desperate for a job and don't mind being a glorified telemarketer then this may be the job for you. I really do not understand why this job requires a college degree.

You are also completely expendable. They are hiring 30+ people to fill this role every month. YOU DO NOT MATTER. Save yourself the trouble and get a job somewhere else. Don't believe everything you hear.

Stop hiring so many people. It is so blatant that individuals do not matter (on that note it is clear why this job is most people's first). Anyone with a solid educational background and the ability to think for themselves can see this for what it really is. Stop micro-managing. Realize that harassing people daily with cold calls is outdated.

Corporate Account Executive

I worked at SHI International full-time

Pros

Great compensation and fun culture.

Cons

Too many internal sales teams covering the same territory.

Working at SHI

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Did well financially and liked working with all managers on my team. Was able to do my own thing for the most part and liked the autonomy.

Cons

1) If you are not used to working many hours and putting in the time necessary then SHI is not the place for you.
    2) They mostly hire recent college graduates. If over 30 it will be difficult to get hired.
    3) Some managers micro manage but most do not. Think this true of any large company.

Good company, some issues with management.

I worked at SHI International

Pros

Supervisors/immediate managers are great for the most part. Some great amenities, benefits

Cons

Cash is enough to survive but below general market rate. Upper management has NO connection to sales teams. Morale always an issue.

Start actually listening to everyone instead of the few cherry picked managers you love.

Fantastic company to work for

I have been working at SHI International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

SHI cares about their employees. Also is always creating new and innovative ways to do business.

Cons

So many new changes in the past few years that it's become hard to keep track of who does what.

Avoid the Sinking Ship known As SHI Corp.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The one thing that SHI does extremely well is hire great people. I have made a great number of friends/coworkers at this company.

Cons

(SHI CORP ONLY)
    From 2008-2013 The Pay, Benefits, Morale, Learning, Management had been second to none. Unfortunately SHI made changes to their corporate compensation and management structure focusing on highly commoditized items which provides no real value to the customer, the company, or the sales people. Obviously this negatively impacted compensation as well as morale across the entire company.

1. Remove the Disease introduced in mid-2013
    2. Get Back to what made SHI great, Selling thing for a profit...lot's of profit
    3. Treat reps like they are people, and not like cogs in a machine. Try and remember why you left Dell/Softchoice/CDW in the first place.

Sink or Swim

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at SHI International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Learn a ton about technology and all the different services that are available to companies. Ability to earn a love of money.

Cons

Market saturation. Lack of clear direction from managers due to rapid growth and ever-changing goals.

Better training and less micro-management

SHI is a great stepping stone for kids right out of college who want to learn sales.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people, lots of young people and fun enviornment

Cons

A lot of changes and moving of managment.

Cube Farm Work Horse

Current Employee - Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good job right out of college - dont expect much else
    Various vendor events
    Some managers are fantastic like mine. They care about you and want to help - but are shut down by higher management when they make suggestions to make things better

Cons

Its a cube farm. Sit at your desk, place orders, deal with crap from customers/vendors, dont talk to anyone. Yes you have vendor events, you get free stuff and food but its all perks for a crap job. Its work work work with no bonus. We dont get paid enough for what we do. It could be a blizzard outside - horrible conditions ex. Hurricane Sandy - and they still expect you to come in and take away PTO days if you do not. I am currently applying to other jobs to leave this place. They dont care about you. Youre just a number. High turn over.

Good for right out of school for "experience" then leave - I dont know how some people stay here this long

Care more about your employees. A ping pong table will not make up for the fact that you take away our PTO for horrible weather conditions. We dont get paid enough to kill ourselves and come into work.

Great if you're a longtime employee, not so much for new ones

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You'll certainly get a great overview of the IT industry, as well as the opportunity to make plenty of industry contacts. Learn what you can (which is a lot) and take that experience to your next job.

Cons

If you began working for SHI between 1996 and 2002, congratulations. You're part of the elite that was promoted to management and apparently can do no wrong. (To be fair, some of the managers meeting this criteria are very good at what they do, but others ... eek.) if you came afterwards, you're guaranteed to do a lot of the work and to get little thanks in terms of compensation or advancement. It's a very political environment - employees don't call it "SHI High" for nothing - and who you know is way more important than your quality of work.

Stop running the company like its 1998. You say you're making all the right moves but look closely - middle management all works for their own agenda, and not cooperatively. And some managers need to start delegating more work to the people who actually report to them (who are pretty good at what they do!) rather than trying to do everything themselves so they get all the credit.