SHI International Reviews

Updated October 28, 2014
3.5

SHI International President and CEO Thai Lee
Thai Lee

Pros
  • It can be a laid back, flexible work place but that can also depend on your manager (in 10 reviews)

• Great place to work, definitely somewhere that fits into my long-term career goals (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Inside sales reps in Austin are offered 3 times the starting base pay of inside reps in NJ (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management is part of a good ole boys club that came from one of SHIs competitors (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Enabling individuals to grow personally and professionally means the company will do the same. A rising tide...

Current Employee - Marketing in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Marketing in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Privately-owned by an owner/CEO that works harder than you do, SHI plans for the long-term and not quarter-to-quarter. Ideas are welcome and new positions are constantly created to fulfill those ideas and deliver ever-improving products to our customers. This company is also: young, fun, constantly growing, a $5 billion org that considers itself an underdog.

Cons

If you need someone to tell you how to do your job every day you come to work, this place is not for you.

Never forget what I wrote above about the underdog.

Sales is as good as the effort you put into it..

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SHI International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Potential for a large commision check at the end of month.. if you've past your quota

Cons

Not a very good company culture.

Metricing your employees does not enhance performance

Account Executive/Sales/Order Taker/Whatever

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great for a frat/sorority type people right out of college using the "buddy-buddy" system to get right back in the same situation like going through 3 month training-style initiation,pointless classroom business games?, and tests that make you feel just like college classroom baby sitting session (you even get your name labeled on seats & 1 minute after being late from lunch you LITERALLY have your name put on the board?). Pro: benefits (but also takes away from the 30k base w/co-pay) Austin,Texas location does heavy recruiting in the frat/sororities because they are the perfect demographic who just fits into a robot style cookie cutter person who will risk doing boring/bad practice work at the promise they can still be accepted within the group/corp culture.

Cons

Where do I begin? First off. Corporate training is seriously for uneducated business people so if you are anything like an experienced BBA in Marketing/Sales/Finance/Accounting/Comp Science etc etc stay the_ F_away from this situation. You will find yourself explaining sales,marketing, cold calling-biz dev and time management to recent grads who go out drinking on Thursdays still ...by Friday afternoon I was looking for another job. The only experience most of the teachers in corp training had were just working for SHI (seriously almost all!!! - example LinkedIn). How can you better yourself if all your teachers have just been working there out of college? They drink the kool-aid ... ..stay at SHI? drink the kool-aid. Generation xerox. Moreover, all of the Austin location has all of their emails sync'd together ahaha lol (getting pointless emails every 5 minutes that are unrelated)makes no sense. One of the corp trainers threaten if you don't color-code your emails (because SHI isn't responsibly ran) ... you get punished .. .. because your emails need to be color coded?? Another classroom frat type of management....that becomes unproductive over time and poorly ran. I seriously answered almost all of the sales questions when the head sales honcho came in and he immediately noticed I wasn't among the business riff-raff constantly being churned through this technology house. So I went on about my tenure there for about 1 1/2 weeks til I told them "latas" which was the best decision I ever made. I know I wanted a career of advancement at least to a manager role (after 2-3 yrs at shi) as opposed to being demoted to an ORDER TAKER for the rest of my career at SHI (noone moves up). As for sales at SHI, knowing all the corp trainers had to go through Account Executive role (none of them stayed in the role) ... it must of been so bad that they were going to find something else in the company because goals are out-of-reach or 3x daily micro mgmt emails sent out of sales figures and names tied to performance for everyone in the org to point fingers.

-don't treat adults like children in corp training (obvious why they hire young)
    -don't micro manage emails sent to the whole org haha then you have people pointing fingers across divisions (unproductive)
    -don't make promises/commission plans seem great then turn out unreachable basically you find yourself never making money (other than base) and only taking orders and just reselling
    -stay away from the frat mentality (makes your recent grads think this is what having a "real job" is like when I've never seen a corp training class put names of people on the board)
    -be more personal with your employees make divisional email selling figures so the division can make repairs not the "head honcho" of sales (he has more important things to do then read about mofo #412 in the org missed quota by 4k
    -The company seemed desensitized

Lazy employees are the normal

I worked at SHI International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Freedom to do what you want
    No stress

Cons

Terrible pay for non Sales employees
    Working hard gets you no where

Hire some smart people who can actually manage

Great company

Current Employee - Account Representative in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Great benefits

Cons

Need to be more flexible with work hours

Love the culture of HQ

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to start at out of college
    Competitive Salary to start
    Great "extras" - gym, clubs, nurse, free food for vendor trainings, dress down
    Informative training program
    Continually growing

Cons

If you stay too long in your position, it's hard to move on to something else within the company.
    Managers are quick to discipline overloaded workers
    No consistancy between departments
    Only get every other holiday off

Get a management training program

Wonderful company, underpaid a bit

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There a lot of young and good hearted people at SHI. Good work environment, casual atmosphere.

Cons

There are a lot of opportunities but management seems hesitant to let employees leave for other positions within the company. Low pay compared to other companies.

Get a better management training program.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at SHI International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Culture and good benefits. Compensation this great depending on accounts you work hard to get into, given to you, or your quota. Genuinely care about doing the best for the employees.

Cons

The company tries to do too much without enough resources. Huge shift towards micro management. Training and on going development lack effectiveness. Inside reps talent level leaves a lot to be desired

Great Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great young company to work for. Awesome culture and atmosphere.

Cons

Not many opportunities for growth.

Train management on how to deal with conflict resolution. Their personal feelings should not come in to play regarding team issues.

STAY AWAY - Stay far, far away

Former Employee - Account Executive in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at SHI International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great comp plan in the beginning.

Cons

Terrible executive corp management. Too many field reps. Take away more and more accounts to prevent long term success.

If I worked at Softchoice or Dell previously or were a brown noser - I am sure I would have been loved by you and given special treatment. Train your managers! SHI is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

SHI International Photos

SHI World HQ
What individual work cube look like
Break room