SHI International

www.shi.com
Employer Engaged

Great if you're a longtime employee, not so much for new ones

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You'll certainly get a great overview of the IT industry, as well as the opportunity to make plenty of industry contacts. Learn what you can (which is a lot) and take that experience to your next job.

Cons

If you began working for SHI between 1996 and 2002, congratulations. You're part of the elite that was promoted to management and apparently can do no wrong. (To be fair, some of the managers meeting this criteria are very good at what they do, but others ... eek.) if you came afterwards, you're guaranteed to do a lot of the work and to get little thanks in terms of compensation or advancement. It's a very political environment - employees don't call it "SHI High" for nothing - and who you know is way more important than your quality of work.

Stop running the company like its 1998. You say you're making all the right moves but look closely - middle management all works for their own agenda, and not cooperatively. And some managers need to start delegating more work to the people who actually report to them (who are pretty good at what they do!) rather than trying to do everything themselves so they get all the credit.

Cube Farm Work Horse

Current Employee - Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good job right out of college - dont expect much else
    Various vendor events
    Some managers are fantastic like mine. They care about you and want to help - but are shut down by higher management when they make suggestions to make things better

Cons

Its a cube farm. Sit at your desk, place orders, deal with crap from customers/vendors, dont talk to anyone. Yes you have vendor events, you get free stuff and food but its all perks for a crap job. Its work work work with no bonus. We dont get paid enough for what we do. It could be a blizzard outside - horrible conditions ex. Hurricane Sandy - and they still expect you to come in and take away PTO days if you do not. I am currently applying to other jobs to leave this place. They dont care about you. Youre just a number. High turn over.

Good for right out of school for "experience" then leave - I dont know how some people stay here this long

Care more about your employees. A ping pong table will not make up for the fact that you take away our PTO for horrible weather conditions. We dont get paid enough to kill ourselves and come into work.

Great company to gain experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I've been here going on 3 years and it's been great. The company is growing so there are opportunities for growth within the company. Every place has some cons, but overall this is a great place to work with a great vibe.

Opportunities to learn, managers who want to help you advance, amazing culture, and (mostly) awesome co-workers

Cons

Low pay, really my only issue

Pay employees (if they are good at what they do) more to have qualified teams to support the business.

Fast Growing Company

I have been working at SHI International

Pros

fast growing company with solid value system

Cons

Work life balance can be difficult to achieve

Good opportunity for a beginning IT sales career, but not much else

Former Employee - Corporate Account Executive
    Former Employee - Corporate Account Executive

I worked at SHI International full-time

Pros

Great place to start an IT sales career, sort of like IT Boot Camp. Gives you a great opportunity to learn a little bit about a lot of different products and technologies.

Cons

Stacked-ranking approach to sales management coupled with countless reports and metrics to hit make doing your job successfully impossible, even when hitting sales numbers. There is little time in the day left to actually 'sell' after getting the required administrative tasks completed. Favoritism among management creates animosity on sales teams and can lead to embarrassment at events when reps are singled out as stars and others are ignored. No real value proposition to present to customers due to identical business model as numerous competitors, aside from Minority-Owned Status.

Reduce the amount of administrative tasks you put upon your field sales reps, play fair, provide support, and think about your value prop market by market. What works in one state may not be the approach needed in others.

Its an Animal House

I have been working at SHI International

Pros

Great way to learn IT industry in all ways. You can become very dangerous learning the industry from SHI. Decent pay.

Cons

The leadership says they care...don't believe the hype. Its a shark tank, period. Stay away, lest you be eaten. Very selfish company with a "me me me" mentality. Everyone also constantly passes the buck, unwilling to help. Instead, you get a snarky condescending used car salesman atmosphere. This company has a lot of hubris (just go to a sales conference awards show to see what I mean). However, theres a sprinkling of some genuine good people there.

Realize that just because YOU think you have a value prop that is sooooo good, doesn't mean much. In reality, customers view you as self serving jerks, rather than truly caring consultants. Simplify and hire/train more true professionals rather than some 21 yr old college kids. Your corp division is a bunch of out of control punk kids.

Need to Review Growth Plan & Management Accountability

I worked at SHI International

Pros

-Young, vivacious, but professional environment

Cons

-Management brought in from competitors has skewed company's growth plan & vision
    -Disparity of how management is held accountable for their actions
    -Very stiff consequences for minor offences committed by some individuals and no consequences for larger ones committed by others

For upper management specifically, review the standards to which you hold your managers on the team level (inside & field). Set precedent to what is acceptable/unacceptable behavior and hold all to the same consequences.

Also note, hiring more heads doesn't always equate to more profit.

Little training, high expectations

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at SHI International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to meet and work really great and energetic people, the commission rate is decent compared to other companies

Cons

Managers have little upper management training, you receive little to no training and the expectations are very high,

Listen to your sales people when they have complaints or concerns and actually address them and not just tell them they're being looked at.

Account Exectuive

Current Employee - Account Executive in New Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great oppurtunities for learning IT industry

Cons

As company grows and profits rise some employees are not compensated for hardwork No Recognition or appreciation from Upper management HR

Just to be aware that we are people and not just numbers Fix HR constant taking away of benefits

review company

Former Employee - Contracts Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Contracts Manager in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very youthful colleagues, high energy, good atmosphere, great HR.

Cons

Not enough work in a small start-up group, made it very difficult to go in every day and look for things to do. Now I'm back to drawing board.