SHI International Reviews

Reset
3.7
SHI International President and CEO Thai Lee
Thai Lee

Pros
  • Laid back depending on your manager (in 10 reviews)

• Great place to start an IT sales career, sort of like IT Boot Camp (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Inside sales' commission is a joke compared to outside sales, considering we do all of the day-to-day business to keep customers (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management has NO connection to sales teams (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great company and coworkers - a place to stay and grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The environment is nothing like your typical IT sales company. I've met some of my closest friends at work and really enjoyed my coworkers and managers along my path to a very successful and challenging career. SHI also provides great benefits and job security. The free on-site health clinic, gym, cafe and numerous employee/partner social events make the work environment very satisfying. Plus SHI is one of the few companies out there that continues to put up record sales numbers every year. Great place to work, definitely somewhere that fits into my long-term career goals.

Cons

Upper management tends to have poor management skills and not have enough of a connection with what's going on with everyday employees. The company and employees would really benefit from management-level training. Managers should also have more accountability for their actions.

Advice to Management

Consider a work from home policy for tenured employees. The work world is becoming increasingly mobile, so employees who are trusted and have proven themselves over time should be allowed to work from home on occasion. Also consider extra vacation time/reward for 10+, 15+ and 20+ employees as a "thank you" for the commitment, dedication and hard work over the years. Milestones like these are not common in the IT industry, and should be rewarded.

2. Great Company. not so great compensation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great people and relaxed work environment

Cons

not so great on the compensation side

Advice to Management

pay more

Good first job

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They trained me well and prepared me for the professional world. They also have fun company events and optional lunch and learns where you can learn more about the products you sell.

Cons

Little to no manager accountability. If you kiss up and get in good with your manager you will thrive.

Advice to Management

Hold your managers more accountable.

5. Good entry level position

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International (Less than a year)

Pros

SHI is a good company for recent graduates. They only hire individuals who have received some sort of degree. Though you may not need to have sales experience, you will gain valuable experience and have an understanding of what inside sales is if applying to be inside account manager.

Cons

It's a desk job. Personally, I would like to have something that would involve more critical thinking and challenged you intellectually, but that only speaks to my current position with the company.

Great Start for Young Grads

I worked at SHI International full-time

Pros

Extremely good amenities for the busy man (full sized gym, as big as some of the gyms I've worked out in here in NYC) Basketball court, room for lateral movement if you decide you want to dive into a different area.

Cons

Not much room for growth, and the vacation policy is not something to write home about as it is included with your total PTO.

Advice to Management

Promote and empower people to grow within their roles so that they'll want to keep working there. Offer lucrative salary and performance-based raises!

7. Inside Account Manager

Former Employee - Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent growing company. Great Benefits. I love how majority of the company is young. There is unlimited coffee there! Also vendors come in and frequently buy lunches and other types of snacks for you and it is quality food

Cons

There really is no cons to the company. Everyone is very friendly and supportive there. There is a two strike and you are out policy.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Keep up the good work and I'm sure SHI will thrive even more.

8. Opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

On your first day at SHI you will encounter supportive, like-minded and fun co-workers, some of which will become trusted friends over time. You will increase your earning potential as you build a career in a growing industry and develop an understanding of both the business and technical aspects of IT. You will pick up skills and expertise you never new existed but are vital to virtually every business, school and government agency in the world. Over time you will encounter abundant entrepreneurial opportunities available to those willing to pursue.

Cons

There are no "cons" specific to SHI that do not exist elsewhere. Like any long-term career, you will encounter sometimes difficult times but you will be empowered to find the solution.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide "old-fashioned" world-class customer service as you continue to evolve with the ever-changing IT industry. In other words: stay the course.

BDM

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International (More than 3 years)

Pros

SHI is compromised of the best, most humble, talented, fun, and passionate people. Employees are treated somewhat decently, the benefits are average. Thai sits on the floor with the team and frequently works on Saturdays.

Cons

SHI does not provide a clear career pathway. Unless you are extremely lucky you will be told "if you want to make money at SHI, your best bet is to leave the company and come back, we only offer lateral moves" For a technology company SHI could really use some updates to their infrastructure.

Advice to Management

I understand that you do not want to push back on HR or step on toes, but please for the sake of SHI's future, for the sake of actually holding onto truly talented folks, demand some re-org in HR management.

Inside sales enterprise

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very young company. Lots of social events like sponsored breakfasts, lunches and even happy hours. Most managers are wonderful and flexible when needed. Benefits are okay. Great gym and nurse onsite.

Cons

there is no consistency manager to manager. Senior management is clueless and out of the office constantly attending events they're not needed at. Communication between departments is a joke. Promotions are often given as rewards to those who can't hack it in their current role.

Advice to Management

You should really spend some time and reward those loyal workers who have stuck with the company - increase vacation days or offer a work from home option a few days a week. SHI isn't a bad place to work by any means, but show us were appreciated once in a while - and not by have another vendor sponsored event.

11. Inside account manager - Strategic accounts

Current Employee - Inside Account Manager -Strategic in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Inside Account Manager -Strategic in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, young work culture, depending on manager can be a little flexible with hours. Fun events, in-house gym and health clinic.

Cons

Salary/tenured commission could be more competitive.

Advice to Management

Should have a tenured commission scale to incentive staying in sales. Everyone was raised to the highest scale recently, and this took away incentive to stay in sales. Increase vacation days.

RSS Feed </> Embed