www.shiftcomm.com

SHIFT Communications Reviews

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014

Todd Defren

Smart, hardworking culture, but not for everyone

I have been working at SHIFT Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

SHIFT has some of the best and the brightest people in the industry. Folks work hard, play hard, and do some amazing stuff for the company and for its clients. If you want a graduate education in PR and marketing that pays you rather than the other way around, work here.

Cons

SHIFT isn't for everyone. The hours are long. The work is hard. If you're looking for the typical PR job where you come in at 10, leave for the bar at 3, and take a 2 hour lunch, this place will kick your ass until you get it in gear or you get out. If you're a slacker, you're going to hit the bricks in 3 months or less. If you can't work hard and work smart, you won't make it. The secret to a lot of the other bad reviews on here? Most of those folks weren't good enough to cut it. You have to be willing to work your ass off, and if you do, it's an amazing experience.

Out of touch

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SHIFT Communications (less than a year)

Pros

Smart and interesting co-workers. Good mentorship and "buddy" programs for new employees.

Cons

Such a strange place to work. The hours are very long with no regard to work-life balance, regardless of the fact that they constantly tout that value. It's such a ridiculously rigid structure that it does not allow for innovation or creativity - instead, you're relegated to doing exactly what your "job description" is without regard to what's actually needed. They lived in fear of upsetting their clients so they never set realistic expectations, and we were expected to finagle our reporting to reflect success regardless of the actual outcome. There is a really high turnover rate, especially as of the beginning of 2014, with quite a few higher level folks quitting, and senior management refuses to acknowledge that this is a problem - instead pretending that its totally normal to ignore fact that people were unhappy. The compensation was also not at par with other local agencies.

They need to hire new senior management with more experience outside of SHIFT to work to solve the problems that are driving people to quit. Management needs to treat the employees like adults and acknowledge the issues at hand.

Growing pains.

I worked at SHIFT Communications

Pros

Strong understanding of what it sells, what it measures and what it takes to retain clients. Tactically one of the best and most ethical PR shops around. Media relations bread-and-butter and experimenting with automating.

Cons

Needs to decide what it wants to be when it grows up (or if it wants to). It can stay a 100-125 shop and keep a kumbaya culture where birthday surprises take a front seat to a killer work ethic and spirit of challenging work, or it can roll up it sleeves and recognize that some of the perks have to go hand-in-hand with some more demanding hours, tactics and strategies.

Don't let automating technology replace relationship building and don't hide behind past successes, logos of big name clients that the agency was able to pitch but didn't win and awards that are easy to win.

Nit a good one.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at SHIFT Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good place to start and learn .

Cons

You work more hours than you thought you would.

Senior Account Executive

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SHIFT Communications full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Ability to work on other projects besides just the client project.

Cons

There wasn't any opportunity to learn and every employee under a certain manager was unhappy (and they all left) but that didn't matter to the GM. Hopefully this has changed and the company realizes that it's not just important that a client likes their direct manager but that the direct manager treats their team with respect and gives them opportunities to learn and grow.

Great company that cares a lot about its employees

Former Employee - PR Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - PR Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at SHIFT Communications as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

great clients, lots of opportunities to learn about the industry. Great mentors!

Cons

Honestly, can't think of much!

n/a

A cold working environment

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SHIFT Communications full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I worked there for a year and was thrown in the deep end and learning how to swim by yourself - those are good lessons taught. Essentially their methods and PR practices are good - skills any decent PR agency would possess. For that, I am thankful.

Cons

There was one time where everyone was required to ask their team member at least 3 questions that were non-work related every week. The fact that this was a requirement made by the General Manager and Managing Director just shows the level of warmth and teamwork among the staff members. I agree with all the previous comments regarding this company and you weren't supposed to voice out concerns even when you had them - it was always "put on a smiley face, because aren't you excited that you're here at work everyday??" or "Yay me, I did such a fabulous job" though never mind that the Senior Managers and Managers were the ones taking all the credit. I can go on and on, but in summary, the company culture was just AWFUL. They have very high turnover rate and I'm sure if you asked anyone else who used to work there, they would feel the same way. Oh yeah and we were all very underpaid with promises of advancement that never came. Overall, I'm glad I worked here, otherwise I wouldn't be as strong as I am at work today. But I would never wish my experience upon any of my friends.

I don't think the CEO even cares what's going on with his staff apart from the high level stuff. The management should be changed effective immediately. Perception is reality, right? :)

Good Internship Experience

Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SHIFT Communications as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly, smart, people who are supportive and helpful. Relaxed, fun culture, everyone works hard and also likes to have fun. People are genuinely interested in how you are doing, and want to help you succeed.

Cons

Not the best pay, sometimes felt like I didn't have enough to do.

Keep up the good work, make sure to keep supporting the lowly interns!

bad management, takes workers for granted

I worked at SHIFT Communications full-time

Pros

they're clever in faking it to clients, but behind closed doors, they backstab each other and make other people look bad just to make themselves look good.

Cons

Super high turnover rate due to the horrible working hours and bad attitudes of the management. They work you to the core and pay half of what other PR agencies are offering. Everyone is out for themselves and they possess zero teamwork. They don't care if you don't have work life balance, they say they do, but they will load work on you at 6pm and expect it to be done on the same day. So I stayed till late almost every night being bullied.

The management should be changed, not the working staff.

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SHIFT Communications full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Location (SF)

Good place to start career and gain experience

Team / Agency outings and fun culture within the agency

Agency alias that enables you to use others across different offices (Boston / New York) as resources

Cons

Clients

Long hours

Length of interview process

SHIFT Communications Photos

SF team from SHIFT takes ice-skating break
NYC team holiday outing