SHL Group

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John E. G. Bateson

Once was a great private company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
North Atlanta, GA

I worked at SHL Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe people who work(ed) here are one of a kind, like a big family. People seemed to be hired for who they were and trained as necessary. (the way everyone should be doing it)

ConsPurchased by SHL and was left wondering what was happening for a good 2 years, then SHL got purchased and ow it is very corporate, very publicly held.

Advice to Senior ManagementRelax

Manager

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at SHL Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork life balance, very supportive manager, enjoy working with clients, work with other smart and talented professionals, work from home when needed.

ConsWith each merger/acquisition, we continue to lose PTO/holiday, however SHL UK, retains many days off. Some of the senior leadership is incompetent, Product development is a sad joke, technology is primarily concerned with merging platforms rather than striving to be a best in class.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour obsession with the bottom line is demotivating.

Smoking mirrors - company built through acquisition - was only focused on getting sold. Revenues are decreasing YOY.

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at SHL Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome good client logos
A few decent people in certain leadership roles

ConsCEB had no idea what they were buying here. No organic growth. Many customers are leaving due to poor service, but SHL only tracks them as a lost customer if their ENTIRE Spend is gone. For example - if an account used to spend $500k year and now spends $2k/year - that is not a lost account in their book. CEB did a very poor job of due diligence. What they would have realized is that SHL/PreVisor was a patchwork of two struggling companies looking to help their VC's get their money back.
Operates like a 20,000 employee company - limited collaboration. No new products.
Only 5-10% of sales reps hit their number. Very poor place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop worrying about what looks good on paper and start taking care of your customers and employees - then good things will happen.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Can't wait to get out

I have been working at SHL Group full-time

Pros*You get to travel the world.
*Health benefits are ok.
*You are always busy.

Cons*The company hasn't seen any organic growth in years.
*All the growth comes from mergers and acquisitions.
*Too much office politics and drama.
*Highly inefficient, functions like a government institution.
*The company hasn't innovated in years. Competition is catching up.
*Job security is minimal.
*Work-life balance is non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace half the people in the company with better employees.

Culture is weak

I have been working at SHL Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPay is comparable to industry and there are some learning opportunities. This is good for a first job right out of school.

ConsCulture is weak, people don't have much passion for the company, high turnover rate, very high workload and no work-life balance. Most employees are unhappy and wanting to leave. Since we merged with CEB, it's been all about selling more products. It's all about increasing revenues at all costs. No matter how hard we work, we keep losing market share to competition.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better work-life balance if you want to keep the better employees.

Positive

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Paris (France)

I have been working at SHL Group as a contractor for more than 10 years

ProsChallenging missions and office culture of empowerment

ConsLack of job security and unpredicatbility of assignments

Poor leadership

Consultant (Former Employee)
Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at SHL Group part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood client base, nice office, ok salary, traffic is fine, in city centre, spent lots of money on marketing, quite well known

ConsPoor leadership, old products, unprofessional team, atmosphere is not good, good people left, limited consulting experience, grow slowly, not familiar with local market

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't play politics

I worked there for 1 year as an intern

I have been working at SHL Group as an intern

ProsTechnicality and skills to learn

ConsVery focused on their theories no room for innovation

Advice to Senior ManagementHire the right people, not just people

Not very positive

Thames Ditton, England (UK)

I have been working at SHL Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt helps other companies with their talent measurement solutions.

ConsUnfortunately do not practice what they preach. SHL has got bad management practices. They do not value the employees who don't have influence and there's also a very high turnover. Senior people don't seem to connect well with what's happening on the ground. Some people are over paid, at the expense of others.

The company lacks fresh thinking and the problem is that people work in the same positions for many years and in some cases decade(s), it's not uncommon to hear of people reprising old roles. The office environment ends up political and unprofessional.

SHL seems to pride itself on its reputation as the biggest in the business, but one wonders how long this would be sustained, considering the amount of competition in the industry. The talent measurement industry is growing at a fast rate, but so are the major competitors in terms of their value and their presence.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEB takeover might be a positive thing for the SHL brand CEB can really pick what's working well and what isn't and then work towards restructuring and changing the culture. From observation, CEB seems more structured, forward moving and has a more professional approach to practices, it's yet to be seen whether CEB culture will reshape SHL.

The blind leading the blind

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SHL Group

ProsWell-meaning, hard working, well paid teams.

ConsUnusually high and rapid staff turnover (the irony) leads to inexperienced managers operating well beyond their capabilities or experience. Frustrating to have lived through.

Worked for SHL Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SHL Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SHL Group CEO John E. G. Bateson. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by SHL Group employees.