SHRM

SHRM President and CEO Henry G. Jackson

Henry G. Jackson

Intern

I have been working at SHRM

Prosflexibility, respect, good teammates, good locations

Consnot open to change, slow-paced

Flexible Work Environment, Good Benefits

I worked at SHRM full-time

ProsFlexible work hours, telecommuting available. Good benefits and compensation. Nice co-workers. Interesting work.

ConsNot much upward mobility, organizational structure relatively flat.

flexible schedule, friendly colleagues

I have been working at SHRM

Proswork flexibility is good, supervisor is very easily reached and helpful.

Consthe work itself is not too exciting.

Stay away

I worked at SHRM

ProsGood people; coworkers are all nice and welcoming for the most part

ConsNo room to move up, if you are a driven go-getter but not in any position of authority your voice will not be heard

Had summer internship there, great experience. The summer intern program had over 20 interns.

I worked at SHRM

ProsGreat company with caring people. Besides the roles at each department, the interns had one big project together.

ConsDoesn't open full-time positions for international students.

Good benefits but extremely poor management

I worked at SHRM full-time

ProsGreat mission.
Good benefits onsite parking.

ConsDirectors and above make all of the decisions. It's hard to be heard in this organization. Those with ideas or complaints are often shrugged off by upper management.

In desperate need of better people management. They hire directors who may bring the results they expect, however, their people management skills are poor or non-existent.

They send the right message to the public, however, they do not practice what they preach internally.

There's not much room to grow. If you want to grow, they usually move people laterally and give a slight not-worth-it raise.

Too many meetings with no progress.

They are afraid of innovation arguing that what they've always done has seemed to work.

Advice to Senior Management360 reviews - Management needs to be held accountable and stop getting away with poor management.
Make the new product development process smoother. The process is so long that by the time the product is approved by an exhaustive stream of management the product or idea is obsolete.

Friendly employees

I have been working at SHRM

Prosthe employees are friendly and professional individuals.

ConsToo much spare time. Employees look tired most of the time. Smoking is allowed right outside the entrance. no professional attire required. It's a laissez-faire environment..

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage staffs to dress professionally and stop smoking on the premise.

Good benefits but poor upper management

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at SHRM full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits and some great front line workers

ConsExtremely top heavy. Upper management should attend some HR classes. I have never seen such poor HR practices. They say culture matters but their actions do not match their words. Lots of clicks in upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to your employees and your members.

SHRM takes care of its employees well

I worked at SHRM full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSHRM really takes care of its employees well - from annual opportunities for raises and bonuses to a pension and a 401 (k) plan to 6 weeks paid leave if you have a child, adopt a child or FOSTER a child. Many of the staff members are very nice. If you work in the right department, you can have very supportive bosses and room to grow. The office promotes work/ life balance, and the headquarters is located right near the King Street metro stop and ramps to 495. Depending on your job, you may have the opportunity to travel around the country, even in departments like member care where you don't normally see employees who travel.

ConsSHRM is an odd combination of an organization that changes a lot (staff and executives coming and going, strategy and department reorganizations, etc.) AND an organization that never changes. SHRM is concerned about doing things correctly, great if you're an employee who would get fired at another org but gets a second chance with a PIP here, but not so good when employees who should be let go can stay for years and years.

Advice to Senior ManagementI loved working at SHRM, but the organization needs to become a lean, mean, responsive machine. There are too many employees in general, and not enough in certain areas. Letting employees go is not a bad thing when you do it for the right reasons. Pick your mission, any mission, and stick with it. Be amenable to adaptation and change. You'll become a thought leader with your actions, not with campaigns trying to make you into thought leaders.

Mission-oriented colleagues

Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at SHRM full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAt the Director and VP levels and below the organization is focused on delivering on its promise to its members. Incredible focus and passion for human resources as well as the members. The Annual Conference is a powerful example of teamwork within the organization. It would be hard to identify a colleague who doesn't touch the conference in some way. As a non-profit it prides itself on running more like a for-profit business.

ConsRifts between the executive leadership and the board make the organization a challenge sometimes. It just depends who the CEO is and who the board chair is.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe sure to value your employees. They're the best in the business.

Worked for SHRM? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SHRM reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SHRM CEO Henry G. Jackson. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by SHRM employees.