SHRM

I'm a temp with SHRM

Current Employee - Marketing in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at SHRM

Pros

great team to work with

Cons

the org is kinda slow, lack of energy

N/A

Sad and disappointed. Mostly miserable. It doesn't have to be this way.

Current Employee - Top Performer
    Current Employee - Top Performer

I have been working at SHRM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers who care about each other and the member experience. Flexible work environment.

Cons

Poor management and systems. Does not practice what they preach, nor walk the talk. Very odd experience but it may be due to Sr. Leaders who have never actually worked in world class HR organizations. While even the CHRO may be a thought leader, it is obvious he has never lead an actual day to day HR department. Sometimes I am just embarrassed by how bad it is.

We need leadership like Mike Losey again. Maybe having a new board president will help. One can hope.

Start over. Be more transparent leaders, tell employees what is going on and the plan going forward. Cut out the politics and game playing that put employees in bad situations with members so you can prove a point. It is just bad, bad, bad. No doubt we will suffer this year from a bonus stand point.

Awesome Coworkers but Management leaves little to be desired

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at SHRM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The team I worked with was great. Everyone was very supportive of one another and didn't engage in that gossipy negative culture. The benefits are also fantastic and I think a lot of people stay way longer than they normally would because the benefits are so good.

Cons

Leadership is floundering. There is no strong inspirational leadership. Also, no innovation. They are very resistant to change and it can take years to see a project to completion. It's also very difficult to move ahead in certain departments.

Management should consider some of the innovative HR/Management techniques that are discussed during SHRM's conferences. Without agility and innovation, the young up-starters leave and the organizational culture is left feeling very old and extremely stuffy.

December 2014 Layoffs

I worked at SHRM

Pros

SHRM provides solid benefits including a traditional pension with vesting after 5 years. Many departments offer work-at-home flex options. Compensation ranges are market average for most below senior management; the ranges appear to be above market average for senior management, which also enjoys generous annual bonuses.

Cons

In December 2014, SHRM underwent a round of layoffs, with 11 active employees let go and 15 open positions eliminated. These layoffs were not related to individual performance but made necessary by cost cutting in the wake of a steep projected drop in 2015 revenues. In 2014, SHRM's management chose to end its long-term affiliation with the Human Resources Certification Institute, which oversees HR's leading professional certifications: PHR, SPHR and GPHR. A significant source of SHRM's revenues have been derived from selling training sessions, study materials and continuing professional education credits for these certifications. SHRM has launched its own rival certifications, known as SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP, but it is unclear whether these new certifications (and the revenue SHRM would generate from related trainings, materials and exams) will become the new industry standard. If HR professionals maintain their current designations and seek continuing professional education credits tied to keeping them current, and if those entering the HR profession do not gravitate to the new SHRM certifications, then SHRM faces a significant revenue challenge going forward and additional layoffs can be expected.

The December 2014 layoffs have been detrimental to employee morale, in part because of the way they were handled. Those let go were informed on Monday, Dec. 8, that their positions were eliminated (a shock to many who were long-time employees) and then escorted out of the building; they were able to retrieve their belongings under supervision the following Saturday. While severance was provided, no outplacement services were offered. Many SHRM employees chose not to attend the organization's holiday party, held on Dec. 12.

Following SHRM's advice given to members; don't provide a negative example of what not to do.

Focused on promoting the vision of Human Resources and making a global impact on the workplace.

I have been working at SHRM

Pros

Encourages local chapters to become more involved in their primary vision.

Cons

Doesn't support small chapters very well. Big initiatives that are difficult for small chapters to accomplish.

Morale could not be lower

I have been working at SHRM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits are great. Pension, flexible schedules, casual dress. The people are great to work with (there are a few bad eggs but that's anywhere you work) and they along with the benefits are the main reason I have been here so long....well, that and a paycheck...

Cons

All of the certification change and upheaval has lost SHRM a lot of money. Recent layoffs seem to have been the straw that broke the camel's back as far as employee morale goes; the layoff process (although that word was never used, "restructuring" was the PC way of telling employees about it) was really strange and didn't seem to follow the guidelines SHRM tells HR people to use when going through something like that. A company-wide email was sent out by the CEO the next day saying that those who lost their jobs were non-essential, and oh by the way "our people matter" and he hopes we all come to the holiday party that week. The holiday party being a sad lunch on a day when most people work from home anyway, with no music or decorations that almost no one went to.

Everything takes forever at SHRM and there are projects that come from upper management or the board that "must" get done--as in, let's all panic and drop everything we're doing so that this "because they say so" project gets completed and the due date is two weeks ago--even though the people who actually have to do it know the project will either fail or is a waste of effort. But as another reviewer said, you have to smile and nod and just keep going.

Upward mobility can be difficult and because of politics, there always seems to be a reason why they "can't" make that happen. Good employees can definitely end up feeling used and unappreciated.

Echoing other reviewers:
    --Upper management and directors have poor management and people skills.
    --"They send the right message to the public, however, they do not practice what they preach internally." HR department leaves a lot to be desired.
    --"There is no strong inspirational leadership. Also, no innovation."
    --"Great place if you want to feel unappreciated, undervalued and overworked. Especially bad to long-term employees."

All in all, the financial situation at SHRM has made employees wonder if and when a second round of layoffs will happen.

Be more transparent with your employees about what to expect in the future. If you have hard-working employees that deserve raises, show your appreciation and do it; it costs you less money in the long-term. Don't be ruthless with people who have worked hard and supported the company. Find a way to boost employee morale by doing something meaningful. And by all means, keep bonuses this year--with morale at its lowest, you can't afford not to.

Temporary Worker

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at SHRM as a contractor

Pros

The people are very professional. No drama here.

Cons

Compensation was significantly below what I've made in other jobs.

Pay what your peers are paying their workers.

I would do it again.

I worked at SHRM as an intern

Pros

1. Interesting work assignments
    2. Intelligent, yet kind and thoughtful coworkers
    3. Work/Life balance
    4. Fair pay
    5. Very willing to help me get to the next step of my career

Cons

1. Poor inter-department communication means redundant and/or conflicting information is presented to the public. While many organizations struggle with the same issue, there is room for improvement here.
    2. While I enjoyed doing the work I was assigned, I was assigned work infrequently. Some but not all interns expressed similar feelings. Episodes of boredom earns SHRM a 4/5 instead of 5/5

Good job overall. Have a plan keep your interns occupied before you hire them. Thanks for the opportunity.

Fired by Forwarded Email

I worked at SHRM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are pretty good and the main reason I stayed for as long as I did.

Cons

No loyalty to employees. I worked at SHRM full-time for more than 8 years and my employment was terminated by email. Terrible people managers, inter-departmental communication and cooperation. Years of employment means nothing if you're not part of the "in crowd" and an incredibly disappointing HR department that does not follow what the society preaches.

Try actually "walking the walk"

Great people, laid-back culture, change moves slowly

Current Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at SHRM full-time

Pros

Benefits are great, telework is welcomed, and there's not a ton of micro-management. An overall laid-back culture lets you have a life outside of work.

Cons

Implementing changes requires tons of patience, as it will be guaranteed to take a long time unless there's a crisis. The way projects/systems are implemented requires tons of maintenance and oversight. You'll work on some projects that you know are either going to fail or are not worth your time, but because of various political factions, you'll have to smile and do it anyway.