SHW Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

Marjorie Simmons, LEED AP

Overall. A good work environment

ProsGood benefits, nice people, the projects generally turn out well. They offer the whole week between Christmas and New Year's Day off without using vacation days, which is great.

ConsVery few people get to participate in the actual "design process"... everyone else is mostly a "draftsman."

Advice to Senior ManagementShifting to more of a "studio" environment where everyone has a hand in the design process will likely increase the quality of projects and lead to more satisfied employees.

Excellent place to work. Very fair.

Staff (Current Employee) Berkley, MI

ProsLots of opportunity for those who wish to grow and take their career into their own hands. Company has a great policy of giving the week off between Christmas and new Years. Company has been growing the least three years which has opened positions.

ConsMentoring. Very little mentoring for those wanting to become partners.Firm seems weak in the project manager area. Managers are not good at giving out information on decisions and deadlines. everything seems to be last minute.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your people with a real mentoring program. Upper management seems to be strong, but seems to be lacking in the next level. No clear program on training people for future roles.

Long-term employee provided with great opportunity for career growth but little leadership

ProsSHW Group is an incredibly friendly working environment. The atmosphere is casual, the pace is fast and the firm is always innovating.

ConsThe firm is always innovating which means that non-architectural staff are the last in line for professional development, growth and leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain and hold leaders accountable.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad company that will go bankrupt soon.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsDecent pay, nice facility, some good people.

ConsHigh turnover, plenty of politics, bad management

Advice to Senior ManagementBe realistic, dont play favorites, be fair. Stop the high turnover

shw review interior designer houston

Interior Designer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Prosflexible hours, good environment, ok benefits, travel oppostunity, good training program

Consnone that I can think ok

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Passion for Architecture and a commitment to good design.

3D Artist (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsA small architecture design company totally committed to the art of architecture. Award winning designs and good people. Based in Houston. One on one direct collaboration with co-workers. No feeling of being lost in a big company. When you work here, you are an integral part of the project. Management made a strong effort to stay ahead of technological curves and produce Leed qualified designs. I liked the people and the place and would go back.

ConsThe economy has not been good to small architecture firms and this is one place that suffered with quite a few layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only advice I could give would be to branch out on their design expertise--but I believe since I've been there, they already have.

Good solid firm, need to be more fair and communicative with employees.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsFair compensation and good benefits package. Opportunity to take on new roles and challenges within your position and grow laterally.

ConsCommunication within the firm can be poor, especially in regard to staffing issues. Workload can be quite heavy, with no recognition or added benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward the extra work and effort people put in, work on communicating better - both with the staff and between offices.

Worked for SHW Group? Contribute to the Community!