SI Organization

Updated August 12, 2014
Updated August 12, 2014

2.4

Mac Curtis

Pros
  • Work life balance (as many others say on here) is really exceptional (in 4 reviews)

• There are some really good people working at the SI (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No sick time, 401k match recended, 1% raise, Little to no training and doesn't appreciate experienced employees (in 4 reviews)

• 5 days of sick leave are offered every year; however, use of them reflects negatively in performance review (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Body Shop - better than some, not the best

Current Employee - Systems Engineer Staff  in  Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer Staff in Chantilly, VA

Pros

Some contracts are great - others are notorious for drama or stagnation. Work life balance is fantastic most of the times, if you meet customer requirements and can hit the appropriate amount of hours there is great flexibility.

Cons

Benefits have been steadily cut, and it takes a herculean effort to promote from within.

Stay Away

Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer  in  Valley Forge, PA
    Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Valley Forge, PA

Pros

People here are professional, very knowledgeable and truly team players. Work can be challenging and interesting

Cons

Company was bought by private equity 3 years ago from Lockheed and it's been downhill since. CEO and CFO run this company in a vacuum with little knowledge of missions, no vision, and totally focused on the bottom line to get the company ready for sale. Attrition is rising. Company is in the process of moving large part of Valley Forge workforce to VA and will result in a significant loss of the experience base on 2 large contracts.
    Questionable moves by management, such as playing financial games with our pension plan and slashing benefits leaves employees with no trust for upper management

Treat employees like you need them or they'll leave.

The SI was required to break from Lockheed Martin and the remainder has something to be desired

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer  in  Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Chantilly, VA

Pros

Decent benefits people were nice

Cons

Much of the expertise has left

Good luck

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Joining a contract not company

Former Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Fairfax, VA

Pros

Interview process was amazingly quick. Received an offer within a couple of days. .

Decent benefits and pay.

Cons

Lack of vision. Focused on contracts only, and not its employees or on actual performance and value provided towards the customer's mission. Lack of support from managers. Very poor communication in general from HR to management and amongst staff. Onboarding process is non-existent. Felt like I worked for the prime instead of SI. Couldn't access email nor enroll in benefits for two and a half months. Once again, no interest from managers to understand what is going on with their staff, general lack of support, non-existent communications unless you haven't submitted your time card.

Communicate with your staff on a regular basis - not only when you think/hear there is a need to. Provide the support and resources your staff needs - it is your job.

Toxic environment after divestiture.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer Senior  in  Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer Senior in Chantilly, VA

Pros

There are some really good people working at the SI. Both managers and just general employees. They were truly a pleasure to work with. Truly passionate about their missions and their jobs.

Cons

I was a previous LM employee. LM has it's flaws and is not perfect, but my experience at the SI, makes LM appear like nirvana in comparison. While some employees may have work life balance, others definitely do not. In the HR dept in particular, work life balance appeared to be frowned upon. There were other depts like that as well. In addition, there appeared to be favoritism shown in HR to those who were young and attractive and they did not appear to follow their own policies with regards to promotions and opportunities. yes people who did not fit the young/ attractive requirements (or only part of them) could also last-for awhile at least. HR staff were generally miserable. As were most other employees. The environment felt oppressive. I am sorry, but if HR is totally disfunctional you can imagine how other areas were. Another con was that the benefits continued to decrease year after year. Finally, the near shut down/layoff of long term employees in King of Prussia was terrible. The appearance and impression I got was that it was all about the bottom line (and if you belonged to the appropriate clique). There were a lot of smart, hard working people at the SI while it was part of LM. The environment became one where people were so miserable they had to leave, they were pushed out or laid off. My hat is off to those who have had the fortitude to remain.

I am glad to hear your HR management has been leaving "for other opportunities." Perhaps by replacing them with someone knowledgable you will have more of an opportunity to get your house in order. Take a look at how you are treating people. i understand business is business, but always remember these are human beings you are dealing with-not robots.

Sub Par Company

Former Employee - Systems Engineer Senior  in  Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer Senior in Chantilly, VA

Pros

You develop a close working relationship with some of your coworkers.

Cons

I was a former employee of the SI and got laid off due to cutbacks. The company did absolute nothing to place me on another existing contract, or furlough me until something else came open. During my employment, I continued to apply to positions with the SI., only to receive the "canned" email from the "talent recruiters", in which they tell me I am not qualified. EXCUSE ME! I have more than 24 years experience and a Masters degree in IT! Oh and BTW most of these "talent recruiters" only have a HS diploma. Interesting!

Or, if one of them did call me back, they would ask for my salary requirement. I would tell them my expectation which was completely in reason, only to be told "oh that is too much money....this position only pays 100K." To which I would reply, "then you don't want a Sr. Systems Engineer, you want a college intern."

I found a company that recognizes talent and is willing to pay for it, I couldn't be happier.

Long story short, this SI is poorly managed company with short vision. Good for interns...maybe. Good for season experience employees, NOT.

Management is only concern about the monthly bottom line, does not foster growth or a sense of teamwork. I don't see them lasting too much longer as a small single company. A large company will eventually buy them and clean that mess up.

Might be a great fit if you retired once, and want a peaceful place with slightly-above-average benefits

Pros

Strong historical track-record.
    Broad range of interesting challenges in the Washington, DC area.
    Wide range of low- to mid-level technical positions.
    If you want a peaceful, steady work-load in a secure environment with just slightly better than average working conditions, this could work very well.
    Very politically correct atmosphere -- if you can claim membership in a historically under-represented group, this could work very well for you.

Cons

Essentially no opportunities beyond low-level technical work outside the Washington, DC area.
    Culture is insiders helping insiders: if you're not an insider, you're going nowhere.
    Adaptability, entrepreneurial skill, desire to improve things -- these aren't in evidence.
    If you want to make a difference, to drive change, to grab a big responsibility and run with it -- look elsewhere.

Speed-of-response is too, too slow. Figure out how to accelerate the work being done. Think about the future -- you're not ready for it, but it's coming, and your "charge number" mentality will kill you.
    Engage the entire workforce, not just the low- and mid-level managers, many of whom are mediocre. You're creating a two-tier system of well-compensated managers, and a stagnant workforce with no hope of improvement, but that's not what you probably want.
    Make your managers accountable for the people, including attrition.

Excellent Company to Work For

Pros

Becoming more nimble since divestiture from Lockheed Martin. Holding company continues to add companies to the portfolio thereby increasing internal staffing opportunities

Cons

Still has big company feel and processes

Continue to pay attention to existing staff and make them feel part of the entire team

Corporate Development

Current Employee - Systems Integration Analyst Staff  in  Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Integration Analyst Staff in Chantilly, VA

Pros

Great culture and excellent strategic management.

Cons

Salary is low and benefits could be better.

Great Internship Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

Pros

All interns were given a lot of responsibility and meaningful roles.

Cons

Company was still new and figuring out the internship program so I'm sure it has improved.

Worked for SI Organization? Contribute to the Community!