SIUE Reviews

Updated September 25, 2014
Updated September 25, 2014
4.0

CEO

Great environment and access to superiors!

Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant  in  Edwardsville, IL
    Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Edwardsville, IL

I worked at SIUE part-time for more than a year

Pros

SIUE provides TAs with a chance to work in labs and help develop technical writing skills through the grading of other students work.

Cons

Some of the equipment is outdated and due to insufficient state funding. Many students seem to be interested in doing only the bare minimum when it comes to course work which tends to make grading difficult. Even with the tuition waived for TAs it is hard to live on the small salary.

Easiest Job Ever

Current Employee - Student Worker  in  Edwardsville, IL
    Current Employee - Student Worker in Edwardsville, IL

I have been working at SIUE part-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are a student, the university schedules around your classes and allows you to work on any school work while working.

Cons

Pay is atrocious and there is a strict 20 hours a week policy.

Allow students to work more than 20 hours a week.

Great culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Edwardsville, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edwardsville, IL

I have been working at SIUE full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Encourages educated staff with tuition benefits and great environment. Beautiful campus.

Cons

Does not foster networking environment for staff.

Use campus resources to train staff in technology and interpersonal skills.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Graduate Assistant

Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant  in  Edwardsville, IL
    Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Edwardsville, IL

I worked at SIUE part-time for more than a year

Pros

Tuition remission pays for all tuition, co-workers very supportive of school schedule, variety of tasks, opportunity to learn and teach others.

Cons

Having to work weekends and nights and pay school fees out of the monthly stipend. Sometimes not having enough work which makes it difficult to justify your position.

Keep up the god work.

It is a good start to get some experience and jump to a better grad school

Former Employee - Grad Student At Chemistry Department  in  Edwardsville, IL
    Former Employee - Grad Student At Chemistry Department in Edwardsville, IL

I worked at SIUE full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was good experience to handle a class as TA. it is growing though. Renewed and built a new building, purchased new instruments in chem. department.

Cons

Most of the PI were old at the time I was doing my studies. They have been trying to hire young professor in Chem. department.

hire young and enthusiastic people, so they can bring new idea to improve the department.

Graduate Student

Current Employee - Graduate Student  in  Edwardsville, IL
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Edwardsville, IL

I have been working at SIUE for more than a year

Pros

Great campus, growing programs, GI Bill friendly school

Cons

growing programs experiencing growth challenges, transitioning programs ot on-line programs

Good Experience

I have been working at SIUE

Pros

Along with you school you will have a chance of working in related field of your study

Cons

some times you will have difficulties managing your time to work and study at the same time

Great relevant experience to complement my education.

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant  in  Edwardsville, IL
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Edwardsville, IL

I have been working at SIUE part-time for more than a year

Pros

SIUE has a lot to offer students and staff alike. The experience of working in such a large institution has proven to be valuable in the professional realm.

Cons

There are times when it can be challenging to balance the stress of the position with school and family demands.

Graduate Assistant

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant  in  Edwardsville, IL
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Edwardsville, IL

I have been working at SIUE as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

In parallel with my education I am not only earning money, but also get experienced in different aspects of Civil Engineering. Also, dealing with companies corresponding to geotechnical engineering helps me get more skillful an experienced. I am making the required money for living costs as well.

Cons

Dealing with executive companies as well as students and faculties. Signing different contracts and attending seminars and meetings. Free workshops , etc. I have experienced two different supervisors here with different attitudes. Both have helped me understand how intense a work placxe can be. Passing the deadlines of researches, reports and proposals have been always an important issue here.

SIUE is resource-rich but laid-back enough to let you GROW.

Former Employee - Finance Board Chair, Graduate Assistant, Etc  in  Edwardsville, IL
    Former Employee - Finance Board Chair, Graduate Assistant, Etc in Edwardsville, IL

I worked at SIUE part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

SIUE has a sprawling, beautiful campus and as many resources as you could possibly want in an academic institution or workplace. They're very laid-back, and closely located to the city of St. Louis.

Cons

The resources aren't always easy to find, but once you've found them, you're golden. Also, the changeover in executive management at the university sometimes leads to ruffled feathers and a shake-up in priorities between academics and sports/recreation, but things usually settle down for the best in the end.

Get alumni involved in direct mentoring of students looking to join their field of work, and actively provide that larger network and job opportunities to alumni long after they've graduated. Also, focus on things that make SIUE unique: invest funding in science projects no one else will do, sponsor activities on the hundreds of square acres of forest and trails that few other campuses have offered. Embrace what's different and truly us, and everything else will fall into place.

SIUE Photos

Central campus

+ Add Photo

Worked for SIUE? Contribute to the Community!