SK Engineering & Constructions Reviews

SK Engineering & Constructions CEO Casey Choi
Casey Choi

It was fun

I worked at SK Engineering & Constructions

Pros

Its a friendly environment and easy to get along with people.

Cons

Its a bit too laid back for my taste and corporate culture is very important apparently.

Advice to Management

Less mandates and more incentives to perform better.

2. SKEC&C USA has a diferent business model, refreshingly aggressive.

Current Employee - Process Engineering in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Process Engineering in Houston, TX

I have been working at SK Engineering & Constructions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Backed by a $100 billion parent company in South Korea. Aggressive and dynamic. Plans for significant growth in the near term. The "Total Solutions Provider" strategy has great potential.

Cons

Still some minor growing pains in the US, but most are being resolved. As the companry matures, most of the initial problems have been mitigated.

Advice to Management

Keep being aggressive; keep growing!

Have work continuously for 8 yrs in various project location

Current Contractor - Engineer in Hanoi (Vietnam)
    Current Contractor - Engineer in Hanoi (Vietnam)

I have been working at SK Engineering & Constructions as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work environment most especially once your immediate superior have known you, work environment will be better.

Cons

Mostly older Manager have bad manners on shouting some global staff even in the front of the subcontractor supervisor or worker, which in the long process losses the respect to that global staff.

Advice to Management

Keep employing those very good and talented global staff for any future job.

Challenging role dealing with different departments and sub-contractors to comply maturity date.

Current Contractor - Painting Supervisor in Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)
    Current Contractor - Painting Supervisor in Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)

I have been working at SK Engineering & Constructions as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

To learn more knowledge and experiences benefiting the hardship encountering in job site until completion of the projects.

Cons

Challenges are always there taking responsibilities of my subordinate and direct personnel assigned .

Advice to Management

Thankful I had a good manager assigned that understand during fruitful terms.

6. Good expeience in process engineering

Former Employee - Process Engineering in Seoul (South Korea)
    Former Employee - Process Engineering in Seoul (South Korea)

I worked at SK Engineering & Constructions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lot of paid hoilidays, work and life balance and good management

Cons

The mode of communication is not in english especially during the project meeting

7. Average

I worked at SK Engineering & Constructions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some really senior people like Mr H.C Jain who can be a perfect mentor in the shaping of a project and an engineer's career.

Cons

Excessive department politics in certain departments.
    Lack of job knowledge of senior engineers who lead the projects.
    Lack of professionalism among people.

Advice to Management

Choose right leaders in order to develop right company.
    The President My Casey Choi is a visionary and his vision is not being realised down the ladder.
    Lack of communication with the Head Office with the department working engineers and dependence on wrong people for information sharing.

8. Not a great option for early to mid-career expat employees

I worked at SK Engineering & Constructions

Pros

Pleasant people (except as noted below), reasonable hours, great projects. Late career expats treated well for the most part.

Cons

No career path for "Global Talent" as all in that category are brought in at the lowest rank of G1/sawon and remain there. This is significant in a hierarchical society such as Korea. Global Talents are rarely invited to meetings with clients or even the project team as a whole. They often never interact with their managers directly. It's very difficult to be an effective member of the team as one must struggle to get adequate information. Korean co-workers and managers matter-of-factly make negative comments about colleagues and clients of other races. (It's worth knowing a little more Korean than you let on.) There are two CEOs and HR answers to a different one than the project teams. Little to no effective project-related training provided in English. If you are just in Korea to save some money and put a project name or two on your CV, then maybe it's OK. But it can be a less-than-collegial environment for non-Koreans.

Advice to Management

Decide if the company is going to be yet another Korean company profiting internationally, or a global company. If it's meant to become global, hold all meetings on international projects in English and diversify your workforce. Stop hiring so many people with so little knowledge of the world outside of hagwons and highrises.

9. Most Ideal Company in South Korea

Current Employee - Static Equipment Engineer in Seoul (South Korea)
    Current Employee - Static Equipment Engineer in Seoul (South Korea)

I have been working at SK Engineering & Constructions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All you need is provided by company

Cons

Salary increase is slow for global staff

Advice to Management

Give chance to the selected global staff to become permanent employee

10. It will only be a good move if you are Korean

Former Contractor - Quality Manager in Seoul (South Korea)
    Former Contractor - Quality Manager in Seoul (South Korea)

I worked at SK Engineering & Constructions as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was and benefits were good

Cons

They will tell you anything to get you if they need you regardless of what the truth is.

Advice to Management

Expand your horizons and recognize that your international employees have skills you could use. I was hired purely to make an impression on the client but then never utilized. I could have passed on a great deal of knowledge to younger employees but sat like a fire extinguisher only to be paraded when a show was needed.

11. I experienced to work with different people and langauges.

Current Contractor - Material Controller (E&I) in Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)

Pros

Nice to work in SK company they give all the benefits of all workers,Unluckily our project was near to finish,

Cons

Your need to work the way Korean work,Its nice work with them.

Advice to Management

I wanna say taking care our good Workers and Engineers dont let them to trnasfer in other
    company