SK+G Reviews

Updated August 24, 2014
Updated August 24, 2014
2.6

Jerry Kramer

Nice place to work, great office environment, perks and friendly people.

Former Employee - Information Technology  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at SK+G full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are very good, paid vacations, ad agency feel. Lots of opportunities to learn interaction with people.

Cons

Cubicle most likely. Some drama as can be expected with creative and prima-dona types.

No complaints. A very good place to be all things considered.

SK+G offers a unique opportunity to work with the best of the best in a great office environment

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at SK+G full-time

Pros

SK+G has provided incredible opportunities for growth and career development. The agency works with a variety of clients within the leisure and lifestyle realm, giving its employees diverse experiences - especially within the public relations department. Management is incredibly understanding, helpful and always willing to jump in and do the dirty work to get the job done. That team environment is one of the best aspects of working at SK+G. The agency as a whole also highly values a healthy work/life balance, which I greatly appreciate and feel is a rare find in the PR and advertising world, particularly in Las Vegas.

Cons

As with most agencies, clients with unrealistic expectations and short deadlines can create a stressful environment and some long days, however I feel SK+G does its best to counter that stress with great office culture. Weekly 'happy hour' type events as well as periodic fun activities help take the edge off.

Puts out very nice work, is full of sharp and creative talent but odd personalities at the top

Former Employee - Account Management  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Account Management in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at SK+G full-time for more than a year

Pros

I liked and respected my coworkers, and the place cleared out pretty early each night. There was a happy hour every Friday and events for holidays (and made up holidays). The company definitely made an effort to create a good environment in that way.

Cons

It makes sense that only those drinking the KOOL AID were the ones whose word meant anything at all to senior management. In particular there was one person at the top who was tough to work with or be anywhere near. When I left I felt that I'd been taken advantage of and wished I could have retracted all my time and effort, for which I did not get the advancement promised.

Management didn't listen to me when I worked there so I won't bother.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stressful and professionally unrewarding.

Former Employee - Junior Art Director
    Former Employee - Junior Art Director

I worked at SK+G full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good younger pool of talent and people and many clients.

Cons

Unrewarded hard work, stressful, unrealistic deadlines and expectation. Clear favoritism to a very select few people.

This agency has a great way of making super talented people overworked to the point of making them look amazingly untalented. Creative people are not robots or monkeys at keyboards, having 4 jobs for 4 different clients all due at the same time is not the best way to use talent.

This agency is about favoritism. Newcomers are often loaded with extra work while some, especially senior people in the graphic design and accounting departments, sit on their hands with minimal work. Management has their handful of favorite people and leave many others to work late nights and have crappy unrealistic assignments.

Bottom line, the worst part of this agency is Human Resources and creative department management. The directors are very fake and have no problem screwing with the people who produce the work. They disregard the their worker's problems, play with titles, and rearrange office assignments on a whim with complete disregard to how it might affect the people in the creative departments. Creative people have a rhythm and management really seems to be oblivious to how it affects their employees.

Quality Scam Agency

Current Employee - Senior Art Director  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Senior Art Director in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at SK+G as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I have to say, they work with pretty cool clients.

Cons

I've been contacted by the MD himself telling me they were looking for a new art director and he would've liked to give me a test project to see the way I work and if a visa was worth it (i'm not from the US). I worked hard for two weeks and in the end the client went for my visual treatment. After that, the MD sent me an email saying the meeting went well and to let him know, in case I managed to find a way to get a Visa myself as they would be interested in having an interview with me. So in the end, they had quality work, for free. Well done. Very professional. NOT.

I've always been working with the big players in the industry and I was shocked to see how cheap and unprofessional these people are. Absolutely disgusting.

Great coworkers, insane expectations

I have been working at SK+G

Pros

Coworkers are great and the brands are interesting.

Cons

No raises. Ridiculous client expectations are always met. The turn around times are insane.

The agency has provided a good environment for my professional growth and allowed me to work with many talented people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at SK+G

Pros

We work with some of the leading brands in their respective categories and have had the chance to work on a number of high-profile initiatives. We have a talented group of employees who make the tough days easier. We are hungry and persistent, which is one of the reasons we've survived The Great Recession and are growing again. But the best aspect of SK+G is without the people who work here.

Cons

The downsides of working at SK+G are similar to the challenges any ad agency employee faces no matter where they work - difficult and sometimes unappreciative clients as well unrealistic deadlines.

Continue to communicate in an open and candid manner with all employees, offer opportunities for educational/career advancement, and smell the roses more often.

Ok for 1st career.

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at SK+G

Pros

There were some really great, dedicated professionals employed at SK+G while I was an AE. A lot of employees would really band together to get projects done (even if that meant all night work). Great Design Team and great Design Team leadership. Group Creative Directors are great and easy to work with.
    Most of the Account Supervisors are great, easy to work with and really want to help their team grow and learn.
    The environment was open and loose which was a great change from a "buttoned down" environment.

Cons

No ECD meant the owner would make ECD decisions, kill presentations, pitches, concepts before client presentations (sometimes hours before a pitch). It seemed as though the Group Creative Directors were left powerless to really execute and act as Creative Directors because of the ownership (they often seemed beat down under this leadership).

Employees were often treated as "children" from the Office Manager and it seemed as the norm around the office was "you should be lucky to have this job."

Some of the departments operated with little or no leadership (i.e Interactive and Broadcast Departments routinely failed to meet internal and external deadlines which meant working alongside these employees was VERY difficult) and very frustrating). No consequences for departments not delivering on time to clients (AM team routinely had to apologize and ask for forgiveness).
     I would be hard pressed to say I knew of anyone that really enjoyed their position or really wanted to be employed by SK+G (toward the end of my employment) due to many internal management "issues."

Talk to employees and keep them in the loop regarding possible new business. Allow everyone a chance to work on new business pitches (sometimes the best ideas come from the fresh people).
    Evaluate what's going on within the agency. Find out why the Interactive Department routinely does not meet deadlines and why does the Broadcast Department seemingly operate as if they were more important then the rest of the agency.

Work at Starbucks. You'll have better pay, respect and benefits.

Current Employee - Art Director  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Art Director in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at SK+G

Pros

The group of low level employees - mostly entry level - are eager, enthusiastic and really talented.

Cons

Gross incompetence at the very top. The success of the company was based on personal relationships of the owner turned into professional relationships, but when that well dried up, there were no clients and because the owners know nothing about this business or industry, they can't rebuild the company.

Don't start businesses in industries you know nothing about. Seriously. Stop doing it.

live everyday to the fullest.

Former Employee - Junior Graphic Designer  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Junior Graphic Designer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at SK+G

Pros

the work enviornment was the best thing about sk+g. the office is fabulous and the people on the working level cared about your well-being. the type of work was also another plus, being in the advertising industry with a heavy slant towards casinos and luxury hotels, it game a freedom that most designers don't get to experience in corporate america.

Cons

each day could be your last.

none

Worked for SK+G? Contribute to the Community!