SK+G

Updated Jun 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jerry Kramer

SK+G offers a unique opportunity to work with the best of the best in a great office environment

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsSK+G has provided incredible opportunities for growth and career development. The agency works with a variety of clients within the leisure and lifestyle realm, giving its employees diverse experiences - especially within the public relations department. Management is incredibly understanding, helpful and always willing to jump in and do the dirty work to get the job done. That team environment is one of the best aspects of working at SK+G. The agency as a whole also highly values a healthy work/life balance, which I greatly appreciate and feel is a rare find in the PR and advertising world, particularly in Las Vegas.

ConsAs with most agencies, clients with unrealistic expectations and short deadlines can create a stressful environment and some long days, however I feel SK+G does its best to counter that stress with great office culture. Weekly 'happy hour' type events as well as periodic fun activities help take the edge off.

Puts out very nice work, is full of sharp and creative talent but odd personalities at the top

Account Management (Former Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsI liked and respected my coworkers, and the place cleared out pretty early each night. There was a happy hour every Friday and events for holidays (and made up holidays). The company definitely made an effort to create a good environment in that way.

ConsIt makes sense that only those drinking the KOOL AID were the ones whose word meant anything at all to senior management. In particular there was one person at the top who was tough to work with or be anywhere near. When I left I felt that I'd been taken advantage of and wished I could have retracted all my time and effort, for which I did not get the advancement promised.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement didn't listen to me when I worked there so I won't bother.

Stressful and professionally unrewarding.

Junior Art Director (Former Employee)

ProsGood younger pool of talent and people and many clients.

ConsUnrewarded hard work, stressful, unrealistic deadlines and expectation. Clear favoritism to a very select few people.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis agency has a great way of making super talented people overworked to the point of making them look amazingly untalented. Creative people are not robots or monkeys at keyboards, having 4 jobs for 4 different clients all due at the same time is not the best way to use talent.

This agency is about favoritism. Newcomers are often loaded with extra work while some, especially senior people in the graphic design and accounting departments, sit on their hands with minimal work. Management has their handful of favorite people and leave many others to work late nights and have crappy unrealistic assignments.

Bottom line, the worst part of this agency is Human Resources and creative department management. The directors are very fake and have no problem screwing with the people who produce the work. They disregard the their worker's problems, play with titles, and rearrange office assignments on a whim with complete disregard to how it might affect the people in the creative departments. Creative people have a rhythm and management really seems to be oblivious to how it affects their employees.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Quality Scam Agency

Senior Art Director (Current Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsI have to say, they work with pretty cool clients.

ConsI've been contacted by the MD himself telling me they were looking for a new art director and he would've liked to give me a test project to see the way I work and if a visa was worth it (i'm not from the US). I worked hard for two weeks and in the end the client went for my visual treatment. After that, the MD sent me an email saying the meeting went well and to let him know, in case I managed to find a way to get a Visa myself as they would be interested in having an interview with me. So in the end, they had quality work, for free. Well done. Very professional. NOT.

Advice to Senior ManagementI've always been working with the big players in the industry and I was shocked to see how cheap and unprofessional these people are. Absolutely disgusting.

Great coworkers, insane expectations

ProsCoworkers are great and the brands are interesting.

ConsNo raises. Ridiculous client expectations are always met. The turn around times are insane.

The agency has provided a good environment for my professional growth and allowed me to work with many talented people.

Las Vegas, NV

ProsWe work with some of the leading brands in their respective categories and have had the chance to work on a number of high-profile initiatives. We have a talented group of employees who make the tough days easier. We are hungry and persistent, which is one of the reasons we've survived The Great Recession and are growing again. But the best aspect of SK+G is without the people who work here.

ConsThe downsides of working at SK+G are similar to the challenges any ad agency employee faces no matter where they work - difficult and sometimes unappreciative clients as well unrealistic deadlines.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to communicate in an open and candid manner with all employees, offer opportunities for educational/career advancement, and smell the roses more often.

Ok for 1st career.

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsThere were some really great, dedicated professionals employed at SK+G while I was an AE. A lot of employees would really band together to get projects done (even if that meant all night work). Great Design Team and great Design Team leadership. Group Creative Directors are great and easy to work with.
    Most of the Account Supervisors are great, easy to work with and really want to help their team grow and learn.
    The environment was open and loose which was a great change from a "buttoned down" environment.

ConsNo ECD meant the owner would make ECD decisions, kill presentations, pitches, concepts before client presentations (sometimes hours before a pitch). It seemed as though the Group Creative Directors were left powerless to really execute and act as Creative Directors because of the ownership (they often seemed beat down under this leadership).

Employees were often treated as "children" from the Office Manager and it seemed as the norm around the office was "you should be lucky to have this job."

Some of the departments operated with little or no leadership (i.e Interactive and Broadcast Departments routinely failed to meet internal and external deadlines which meant working alongside these employees was VERY difficult) and very frustrating). No consequences for departments not delivering on time to clients (AM team routinely had to apologize and ask for forgiveness).
     I would be hard pressed to say I knew of anyone that really enjoyed their position or really wanted to be employed by SK+G (toward the end of my employment) due to many internal management "issues."

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to employees and keep them in the loop regarding possible new business. Allow everyone a chance to work on new business pitches (sometimes the best ideas come from the fresh people).
    Evaluate what's going on within the agency. Find out why the Interactive Department routinely does not meet deadlines and why does the Broadcast Department seemingly operate as if they were more important then the rest of the agency.

Work at Starbucks. You'll have better pay, respect and benefits.

Art Director (Current Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsThe group of low level employees - mostly entry level - are eager, enthusiastic and really talented.

ConsGross incompetence at the very top. The success of the company was based on personal relationships of the owner turned into professional relationships, but when that well dried up, there were no clients and because the owners know nothing about this business or industry, they can't rebuild the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't start businesses in industries you know nothing about. Seriously. Stop doing it.

live everyday to the fullest.

Junior Graphic Designer (Former Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

Prosthe work enviornment was the best thing about sk+g. the office is fabulous and the people on the working level cared about your well-being. the type of work was also another plus, being in the advertising industry with a heavy slant towards casinos and luxury hotels, it game a freedom that most designers don't get to experience in corporate america.

Conseach day could be your last.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

How not to run an agency.

Management (Current Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsFor many, simply a salary that barely sustains. Some good people and many diamonds in the rough, talent wise.

ConsThe fall of SK+G came when the product became second to everything else. This happened with the hire of Eric Stein the Executive Creative Director, who we now know falsified his resume. Under his tutelage, we have not managed to win a single new account, whether through a pitch or where we are the only agency involved. This has been ongoing for over 3 years. As a whole, we have seen more money spent on furniture than on securing talent for all departments. We currently do not have a traffic department, interactive department and are functioning with very little to get by. The abuse of the agency towards its clients, especially where retainers are concerned, was criminal. Overall, an agency is to make a difference for their clients and we are sowing the seeds not doing this.

Our employees are treated like dogs and because of the market we are in, talent has to be secured from outside therefore the agency punishes those who want to leave within the year they sign up.

Strategically the agency has no footing and is unable to guide a client and the work. While we position ourselves as full service, it is just a phrase, we do not offer proper guidance to our clients in almost every area from media to creative.

The turnover rate has been high, going as high as 70% in each of the past few quarters. Constantly overburdening every department for periods of time have cost the agency.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn some ways I would say to look at the agency study done a few years back. Nothing from that study was ever implemented or acted upon and I believe it is too late for the agency to turn around, especially in the current climate. Overburdened with 2 buildings purchased and unable to ascertain new business, SK+G is not positioned well for this climate, let alone to turn it around.

Worked for SK+G? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SK+G reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SK+G CEO Jerry Kramer. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by SK+G employees.