SKC Communications

Wonderful Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Shawnee, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shawnee, KS

I have been working at SKC Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

The atmosphere is great. The people genuinely like to work here. Sales, Operations and Accounting work together to do what is best clients and SKC alike. Management listens to employees, but doesn't micro-manage.

I love working here! Promoting from within is extremely encouraged! There are many employees that have been here for 10-15+ years. If you are good at what you do, you are praised by management.

Cons

It is still a job, so 40 hours is expected. Other than that, I have no complaints.

Continue to listen and care about your employees. The Thank You cards, emails and just sopping by to say hi and show how much you care, matters immensely to all of us. I feel empowered to do what is needed to make my job successful. Keep doing what you are doing!

Amazing Place to Work

I have been working at SKC Communications full-time

Pros

I am amazed by the review that I have read on here about the company. I have been here for over 3 years and it has been a great experience. The bad reviews we of course from sales people that must not have been able to sell.

There are people that have been at SKC for over 15+ years. That speaks volumes with todays job hoping mentality. What I love is that everyone wants to help, and that is from the top down. If you need to talk to the owners, they will go out of their way to help. All you have to do is ask.

Cons

None that I can think of, maybe I work too much but its because I like it.

Keep listening to your people, you do it now and please dont stop.

Horrible company

Former Employee - Sales  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at SKC Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have a hard time thinking if anything good to say. Paychecks were at least in time in most cases.

Cons

Satellite office management was clueless at best, training was non-existant and upper management was more concerned with their bottom line than with their people.

Try to realize that your people could be your greatest asset & invest in them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Look elsewhere.

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Shawnee, KS
    Former Employee - Engineer in Shawnee, KS

I worked at SKC Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

The day I quit. I can't really think of anything else beyond that.

Cons

Ego, Ego Ego. It's too bad that managers, VP's, sales, you name it..bad mouth clients behind their backs if the client sounds novice about their needs. There is a reason they are called clients/customers, it's because they don't know what they don't know, be thankful they exist so they can pay your salary. Bonuses and raises were promised but never delivered. When called out on it, they acted like "oops", I forgot. Language internal was awful, certain long running employees would intimidate and bully like a bunch of grade schoolers... it was really odd.

Allow some "bottom up" mentality. Your employees are your greatest asset. If you treat them bad, nothing else matters. Check the ego's at the door.

OK Company

Current Employee - Field Engineer  in  Shawnee, KS
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Shawnee, KS

I have been working at SKC Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Get to travel around the country

Cons

Career advancement is very lacking

Create a better culture for advancing employees

Churning through salespeople

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at SKC Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

I am hard pressed to think of any "pros" at this point. The checks always cleared and the "tech summit" is a fun party.

Cons

The company is extremely frugal to the point of alienating employees with statements like "take manufacturers reps to meetings and make them pay for lunch, etc. so we don't have to". Opportunities for success for new sales reps vary greatly as some reps get a "commission guarantee" for a full year, while others only receive it for 6 months.

The average sales cycle is 6 months or more, and lead time on installs is about 10-12 weeks. With a very meager base salary, it's nearly impossible to bridge the gap financially if you don't bring a book of business from another company. There is little or no opportunity for advancement, so most people are stuck in the same job they began in, regardless of tenure.

Training is non-existant. Training consisted of riding to a couple of meetings with a sales director and/or another sales person, then the instructions of "just set meetings". Still to this day, I still haven't been able to get anybody in our satellite office to come up with a good "value prop" for the purpose of scheduling meetings.

Have some concern for something other than your own pocketbooks. Engineers and techs that have been around for over 4 & 5 years are now taking home less pay today than when they started due to tax increases that have been greater than their raises. Make sure your sales directors are honest with candidates throughout the interview process so that there is not so much job dissatisfaction once reality sets in.

Too Much Ego

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Kansas City, KS

I worked at SKC Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Family owned business, pays commissions and expenses quickly

Cons

Poor Management from the top down.

Telling your employees how you take such good care of them does not mean that it is true. It is simply your marketing message. Leave your ego at the door and ask your staff what you can do to actually deliver what you claim to deliver.

You cannot expect your installers to travel 7 days a week. They are burned out and their work is suffering.

You have placed your faith in poor managers. They are not empowered to perform, manage their employees and take care of your customers. Therefore the CEO is required to manage too many departments. When all you need is the balls to fire bad managers and replace them with people who are true leaders and managers. Not family or sales people who have done well.

Worked for SKC Communications? Contribute to the Community!