SLI Systems

4.3

Dr. Shaun Ryan

Amazing Culture with Solid Leadership and Innovative Products

I have been working at SLI Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

SLI has a really strong culture that works very well around the globe starting with the New Zealand office. People truly care and support each other professionally and personally. Transparency and trust are high throughout the teams, leadership and globally across offices. The company is also very focused on feedback from customers and look to them to help improve the products and service.

Cons

Lots of opportunities and not enough people to scale faster, however, the HR and leadership teams are very deliberate with hiring to make sure the culture and position are a fit. It's nice that a team will wait to find the right person than just drop a worker in a seat.

Continue to focus on growth but maintain the culture. It's what sets us apart and why I look forward to 5 years and more down the road.

cssr

Current Employee - CSSR in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - CSSR in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at SLI Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great on resume, excellent way to sharpen customer service skills

Cons

is hard to truly move up in a company who has very limited positions outside of retail sales. Composition plan is horrible, VERY hard to make quota unless you areimpersonable with clients/don't care what you sell people, just to make your number

Great product but lacking in senior management support

I worked at SLI Systems full-time

Pros

Smart product with a lot of ROI and value for their clients. Some very talented team members that are not allowed the opportunity to share process or product enhancement ideas. Great place for someone who thrives in a micromanagment styled structure with lots of process. Little room for strategic value to be shared.

Cons

Senior management style was a micromanaged environment with little room for change or strategic value to be provided.

More opportunity for experienced members of the team to contribute to process growth.

Great company

I have been working at SLI Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Incredible staff of hard working and talented folks.
    Great company culture that makes coming to work fun
    Massage therapist, happy hours, ping pong
    Opportunity to grow
    Office has incredible views
    Flexible schedules
    Not micromanaged

Cons

Deep in San Jose
    Not close to many places to eat for lunch
    Start-up company, lacking full start-up feel

Continue the hard work, keep up the transparency, and watch how quickly you are growing.

Best company I have ever worked for! Great product, positive work environment, flexible hours!

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at SLI Systems

Pros

- Great product (Clients love us!)
    - Smart co-workers who know what they are doing
    - Upper management is open to feedback
    - Flexible schedule
    - Great work/life balance (you don’t have to feel guilty about going to a dr. apt, there is no expectations to work late or on the weekends)
    - Super nice and helpful team lead/VP who cares about your well-being (Customer Success Department)
    - Weekly massages
    - Free parking/gym in the building
    - Food (snacks, candy, chips, cereal, cereal bars, cheese sticks and anything else you want they will get it for you) & Drinks
    - Worldwide offices and most likely you will get to travel to one of them

Cons

- Not much inter-department communication
    - Too many new college grads

Positive energy and an awesome product

Current Employee - Sales in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Jose, CA

I have been working at SLI Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company just went public. Leadership is clear on objectives, the product works, and the people are passionate about it. It's disrupting the traditional eCommerce platforms out there.

Cons

Too many fresh college grads. There is a tough balance between fun workplace and factory mentality that has not been struck.

Continue motivating, be clear with company position, hire more experienced folks.

SLI Systems provides a fantastic work environment filled with integrity, support, and unexpected perks.

I have been working at SLI Systems (less than an year)

Pros

At SLI Systems, everyone is very nice, open, and willing to help you with any questions and confusions you might have. The people are smart, experienced, and self-made. There are tons of fun company-wide and office-wide events, gatherings, games, etc that happen every month, which gives employees more to look forward to and helps build a community within us. The VPs are on top of their game, and are always willing to assist anyone and everyone, not just within their department. Also, the size of the company allows for each voice to be heard and for changes/ideas to be implemented more quickly. I have had a great experience working here at SLI, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is interested.

Cons

I have honestly not encountered any negatives to working here.

None!

Best technology company I've worked at!

Current Employee - Director of Sales in San Jose, CA

I have been working at SLI Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- New Zealand founders & management creates a company culture not found in Silicon Valley or the states and thus provides a good work life balance
    - Clients love us - as they come first!
    - Unique ever-changing technology, high client touch approach

Cons

- Management hasn't been able to figure out how to propel the company to greatness
    - Company structure has become siloed with too many VP's
    - Communication is poor given the New Zealand/US time zones and email is the dominant communication vehicle
    - Employees are typically underpaid

- Open up to employee feedback at lower levels and don't let one man dictate the direction of the business at the expense of the company and good people
    - Try to foster more inter-departmental conversation

A breath of fresh air!

Current Employee - Product Manager in Christchurch (New Zealand)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Christchurch (New Zealand)

I have been working at SLI Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I came to SLI Systems after working for a very large bricks and mortar corporate for the last 7 years - and haven't looked back once. I don't say this lightly because with a mortgage and young family it was a big decision for me to decide to leave the security of my last job behind, but after one morning at SLI I knew I had made the right decision.

There is a real sense of dynamism:
    * Innovation, initiative and self management are not just tolerated but encouraged.
    * The client base is always pushing us to do new and exciting things.
    * Our competitors look to us for ideas so they are always playing catch up
    * Management are always making the latest technology available e.g. Google Glass.

At the same time SLI also has the atmosphere of a small family business:
    * Staff are allowed to bring their pets into the office
    * Despite the recent growth everyone still finds time to sit down together for morning tea
    * The VP of Engineering is always buying some new gadget to install in the office

Cons

The only cons I can think I don't get to see many of my colleagues and clients on a daily basis because they are scattered all over the word from San Jose, to New York, Tokyo, London & Melbourne - but on the bright side they are great places to go and visit!

If I was to offer management any words of advice it would be this: "Don't Change!"

Once you go public there is the inevitable restrictions that come as a company increases in size, so my only advice would be don't let this stifle the innovative spirit that has contributed to your success to date.