SM Energy

SM Energy President, CEO, and Director Tony Best

Tony Best

Good Experience, Interesting People

Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsPositive work environment. Enjoyed working with my team of like-minded individuals. Definitely learned valuable lessons from each member. Management does a good job of making sure employees feel valued in their roles. Both times I got to set up meetings for Tony Best, for instance, I was treated like a specialist and encouraged.

ConsThough it was great experience in general, my job was somewhat vague. Management moved slow (for example, I left the company before I was ever granted key system permissions necessary for my job in spite of requesting said permissions regularly).

Felt like I was in middle school again and not at the popular kids table.

Land (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGood company to start off in, most regular FT nice people, Good health plan. Great CEO, too bad he's retiring! Family freindly.

ConsManagement childish, rude, unprofessional, and picks favorites to promote. Low pay. HR was the worst I have ever dealt with, also very unprofessional and didn't care about what they are working there for...people.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake classes on how to manage, communicate, and have people skills.

Started as a dream, turned into a nightmare.

Administrative (Current Employee)

ProsThe benefits package is good, the company reaches out to the community. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of pros for this company anymore.

ConsLeadership skills are terrible. Micromanagement has gotten out of control. Workers are treated like brainless toddler, not hard working, self sufficient adults. Leads and Supervisors are vindictive and manipulative. Going to HR has no effect, as they just care to sweep things under the rug. You will be treated as an unequal peon if you don't constantly suck up to bosses, regardless of work produced or efficiency. You can ask for training, but they will dance around the thought, promise it to you, then never train you. If you are looking to advance your career, or even get it jump started, stay away from this company. They will consistently hold you down. You can't trust a single person in a position of power. You can always expect to get slammed behind your back. The benefits package is great, but not when the environment is life sucking and detrimental to health. This place is run like a terrible high school girl movie. The "in crowd" aka leads and those whose noses are shoved so far up their rear ends they can smell what the bosses smell, and "the others" aka everyone else. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some classes on how to effectively manage people. Upper level management needs to take a careful stock of how their employees are treated and how they feel. If the company's "best assets are above ground", you need to start treating them as such. Many people in this company can see through all of the dances, the facades, and fakeness. Realize all of the good people that still remain and show them you actually care and stop with the word service. Realize you have staffed your company with some smart, hard working people and start taking care of them before they jump ship with the rest that already have. If you care about this company like it has been stated, you might want to look into why so many good people are leaving the company to go where they are treated with respect and encouragment.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

WORST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE ! AVOID THIS PLACE !

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexable hours and 3 day weekends every other week. Good benefits a and holidays.

ConsMicro management is awful. Treated like I was back in grammar school! If you are the bosses buddy, you're fine. Otherwise, expect to be treated badly. Most of the managers I worked with wouldn't even be considered for these same positions in any other company. Office managers don't know the first thing about oil & gas exploration or how to treat people with respect. Everyone is afraid to go to HR with problems for fear of being fired when their manager finds out. If there a problem, there is nobody to trust.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake classes in self control and how to treat others. Possibly get counseling on a regular basis and learn people skills. Treat others as you'd want to be treated. Wake up and see the ones that kiss up to you and put a stop to it. It's embarassing for the others to watch this going on. You look rediculous and stupid for not spotting it. Learn to treat your staff as adults and remember that your big, overpaid salary doesn't make you better than your staff, even though you think so.

Hell on Earth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are none. This place is a sweat shop/hell hole. They tell you about the great benefits..but more than offset that will below average salary. Good luck spending those "benefits" on a mortgage or car note. Management? lack thereof would be a better description. The best day of your life is when you RESIGN from this god forsaken place

ConsSalary, hostile work environment, Cliques, Back Stabbers Management which will LIE to your face.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo paraphrase John McKay...what do you think about your Management Teams Execution...I'm in favor of it

Great culture, but continues worst practices with contractors.

Contractor (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsSmart people, healthy culture, they take care of their salaried employees.

ConsThe IRS would have a field day with employee v contractor questionaires, plus how long some contractors have been at the same gig here. Plus, htere are friendships between management and heads of staffing companies that at least look like conflicts of interest. If you're an independent contractor (1099), go in with your eyes wide open, consider it a short term stay, and watch your client mix. Also, be aware that there is no remote work policy; you will be working 100% onsite.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at your contract labor practices.

Good Experience

ProsGreat people, great incentives, love working here. The corporate culture is good that this company gives back so much to the community they live and work in.

ConsUnsatisfied with some management, see large amounts of money being spent on different projects, yet beneficial training classes are marked too expensive. Have seen favoritism in the past, that doesn't seem to go away.

Great potential, beware of Contract-to-Hire positions

IT Contractor (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsFull-time employees treated well, Great CEO, love the maverick culture in this industry. Great benefits you will not find elsewhere.

ConsWith fast growth many contractors were hired (like most of the IT Dept) under Contact to Hire positions, but few were added full time, Mgmt just extended contract dates. Contractors are treated poorly and HR does not want to deal with them. Some of the departments have veteran employees with entitlement attitudes that are difficult to work with, especially if you are a contractor as there is a fear of easily being dismissed without any warning.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease deal with the large # of contract employees appropriately, they are people just like the FT staff that have believed they would be hired FT. Take a strong look at the HR fiefdom, the department has been allowed too much freedom and it does not see the big picture.

It's a job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGood work life balance. Hands off management style. Very knowledgeable coworkers.

ConsWork load is demanding. As a contractor, I was promised to be hired within a year. It never happened even after working there nearly 2 years. Yet when I asked if it was an issue with my work, there was no negative feedback and was told I was doing a great job. Management very clickish group. If you're not in their circle, there's no room for advancement. Tends to hire cheap fresh out graduates and not seasoned employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more upfront with your contractors and don't string them along without any real feedback.

Amazing career opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompany culture focuses on employee improvement
    Large enough company for career movement
    Small enough company for rich personal relations

ConsCompany currently experiencing growing pains

Advice to Senior ManagementThe quietest employees may contribute the most valuable service, remember to appreciate them.

Worked for SM Energy? Contribute to the Community!