SM&P Utility Resources

Good unskilled/Unappreciated Job

Current Employee - Locator in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Locator in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at SM&P Utility Resources

Pros

You have no boss looking over your shoulder. You know what you must complete each day. You get the feeling of satisfaction for a job well done.

Cons

You are expected to work long hours when needed, including overnight when on call. Furthermore all good deeds are forgotten with a single missed step. The focus of management seems to be more done faster, yet they demand that you take your time and get jobs done correct this creates a serious paradox. Further referal bonuses were removed at the start of the year, and since they take 18 months before any get paid the removal cut many people out of money.

Less focus on speed, more focus on quality. Reinstate bonus programs and make the process of determining bonuses clear and open.

Great training, long hours in the summer, low pay. No winter hours so prepare.

Former Employee - Locator in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Locator in Bloomington, IN

I worked at SM&P Utility Resources full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best part of working here was working alone and having a company vehicle.

Cons

No matter the weather you are out in it. So if you do not like working outside this is not the job for you. If you miss mark something you could get someone killed. The job doesn't pay enough to be worth it. Long hours in the summer caused me not to see my daughter for three weeks and we live in the same house.

Consider paying more first off. Secondly continued training after initial one should be a regular practice in the down seasons to keep your locaters sharp, safe, and up to speed of the ever changing safety issues and riggers of the job.

Overworked & Under appreciated

Former Employee - Level I Locator/CDI in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Level I Locator/CDI in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at SM&P Utility Resources

Pros

Work all the overtime you want. The training isn't bad either and the training director is a great guy. So, that's positive.

Cons

Incompetent management that double talks. They tell you they care about safety and quality, but really they care about speed and getting the most bang for their buck. If you miss something and it gets hit, the company will side with the contractor every time. It's always YOUR fault.

Stand behind your employees and hire enough people to really make quality locating your top priority.

It's an ok job but the pay could be better for the duties.

Current Employee - Technician in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Technician in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at SM&P Utility Resources

Pros

Getting a work truck was cool. Training was okay. The people out there on the street were really cool too. I don't have too many bad things to say about the job.

Cons

Long hours and long jobs. High stress for meeting deadlines. Working in multiple areas were quite rough too, just when you get to know a plant a new one comes along.

Quit changing managers over so much. Keep the "middle management" happy by giving them better tools and some more help if needed. Sometimes the districts are too big.

Okay experience, no regrets.

Former Employee - Regional Human Resources Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Human Resources Manager

I worked at SM&P Utility Resources

Pros

Gave me great multi-unit experience and expanded my HR experience which prepared me for the next step in my career.

Cons

Very stressful environment and rough at times. Very focused on productivity and driving hard for results at the expense of others.

Need to understand that the field personnel need to have a work/life balance. When you push people so hard, that is when mistakes occur.