SM&P Utility Resources

Mike Stayton

Good unskilled/Unappreciated Job

Locator (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsYou have no boss looking over your shoulder. You know what you must complete each day. You get the feeling of satisfaction for a job well done.

ConsYou are expected to work long hours when needed, including overnight when on call. Furthermore all good deeds are forgotten with a single missed step. The focus of management seems to be more done faster, yet they demand that you take your time and get jobs done correct this creates a serious paradox. Further referal bonuses were removed at the start of the year, and since they take 18 months before any get paid the removal cut many people out of money.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess focus on speed, more focus on quality. Reinstate bonus programs and make the process of determining bonuses clear and open.

Overworked & Under appreciated

Level I Locator/CDI (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsWork all the overtime you want. The training isn't bad either and the training director is a great guy. So, that's positive.

ConsIncompetent management that double talks. They tell you they care about safety and quality, but really they care about speed and getting the most bang for their buck. If you miss something and it gets hit, the company will side with the contractor every time. It's always YOUR fault.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand behind your employees and hire enough people to really make quality locating your top priority.

It's an ok job but the pay could be better for the duties.

Technician (Current Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsGetting a work truck was cool. Training was okay. The people out there on the street were really cool too. I don't have too many bad things to say about the job.

ConsLong hours and long jobs. High stress for meeting deadlines. Working in multiple areas were quite rough too, just when you get to know a plant a new one comes along.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit changing managers over so much. Keep the "middle management" happy by giving them better tools and some more help if needed. Sometimes the districts are too big.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Okay experience, no regrets.

Regional Human Resources Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGave me great multi-unit experience and expanded my HR experience which prepared me for the next step in my career.

ConsVery stressful environment and rough at times. Very focused on productivity and driving hard for results at the expense of others.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to understand that the field personnel need to have a work/life balance. When you push people so hard, that is when mistakes occur.

Worked for SM&P Utility Resources? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SM&P Utility Resources reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SM&P Utility Resources CEO Mike Stayton. All reviews posted anonymously by SM&P Utility Resources employees.