SMART Technologies Reviews

Updated March 23, 2015
103 reviews filtered by

1. Great ability to make real changes at the company--it is almost a public startup. Lots of opportunity to make a differen

Current Employee - Middle Management in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at SMART Technologies

Pros

autonomy, empowerment, large scoped roles, Canadian company holidays, seasoned management, cool technology, education focused, enterprise greenfield, cohesive strategy

Cons

old SMART habits still too common, small company thinking, poor stock plan (none), no career paths, still too much dead weght

2. Political Environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at SMART Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I joined Smart because of flexible working environments.

Cons

Management has no clue about the talent of employees. they simply sack some employees when they see a threat to their own job.

Avoid getting rid of employees who are hard working and talented.

3. For a technology company the environment and culture was not very progressive.

I worked at SMART Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits were good and coworkers were friendly.

Cons

Little to no opportunity for advancement. Pay does not meet market value.

Engage more with employees to give clear objectives and direction. Provide positive feedback when it's due.

5. Part of the Enabling team

I worked at SMART Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Gym and daycare on site.

Cons

A culture of fingerpointing. No one wants to take ownership and make things right. Issues are brought to management, but nothing seems to get done. People Services is trying to improve the culture though having employee engagment surveys and surveys to rate your manager, however nothing seems to be done, even if a manager receives a low score. There are members in the management team who think it is okay to ignore their employees and not acknowledge their presence. If there are processes, they are manual and most times the processes are broken. Most employees do not even know how to use the products that Smart is selling. The products are in the meeting rooms, but employees do not us them. If we don't find our product useful, why would we expect our customers to find our products useful. The latest new product, KAPP seems like a flop. I would not recommend working for this company. There is a lot of dysfunction, and given the managers that are at the company, I do not see the company being successful.

6. Taxing, frustrating, no sense of humanity, demeaning

I worked at SMART Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Sadly, nothing to put here

Cons

Starting salary low so negotiate your salary before accepting offer - difficult if not impossible to succeed - goals way out of reach and have to be fulfilled above and beyond work time so cuts into work/life balance - no consideration for 'doing your job' well day after day - no respect for the 'Steady Eddie' - education discrimination (anything less than a Canadian university degree is considered beneath them) - preach that they have good work/life balance but don't practice it - forced to use your 'work/life balance' time for mandatory Christmas shutdown - if you can make a good chart you're the best - management has very little training in human behavior from the top down - management style is upstream focused and not downstream focused - singled out individuals are ignored until they basically leave the company

EVERY person who works at SMART should feel like they are appreciated for working there. If your people are stressed out and unhappy there is no way the company will succeed - and 'replacing' the 'malcontents' with 'compliant' replacements is not the long-time healthy way to address the problem. Build a sense of family within your culture and get rid of the harsh statements like 'don't be a victim' (this from a Director). People should not be just a commodity...

You go beyond your goals they cut your salary and bonus

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at SMART Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I decided to work here because they are very good at selling the company and its future so I mistakenly decided to take the offer and work for SMART.

Cons

Sad environment, people shows happiness in front of the management but once they are gone people show how worried they are, insecure, unstable... Now they cut our salaries and they announced that the bonus will be only 50% because the company was down significantly.

To engage people you don't need to be a clown in front of the audience, you need to be real

Intern Adventures at SMART

I worked at SMART Technologies

Pros

Great culture, Amazing people, best atmosphere an intern could ask for. People here will help you progress in your career and grow continuously.

Cons

Location is really the only complain I have. I can't really say anything else bad about this amazing, revolutinizing company that has completely changed the way it operates over the last year.

9. Ok place to start out at

I worked at SMART Technologies

Pros

Opportunities for advancement and movement

Cons

Lots of meetings and rules.

10. Friendly coworkers

I worked at SMART Technologies

Pros

-friendly and competent coworkers
    -very nice building

Cons

increasing competition from other companies in the market

11. It has been great, I love the people and the leadership

Current Employee - Facilities Coordinator in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Facilities Coordinator in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at SMART Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

work life balance is great. Good team envirnment

Cons

I a not sure I ahve any cons for now

SMART Technologies Photos