SMART Technologies Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Decent company to work for

Pros

Cool tech and very smart people to work with. Company has quite a vibrant culture especially in PD. People are encouraged to explore and develop new things. Products are really interesting and management understands the right environment for software engineers.

Cons

The pressure caused by quarterly financial result has been mounting high in the company. This needs to be better managed as some of it may have become negative energy.

Advice to Management

The company may have a bias between the new dev center in Seattle location and other locations. The truth is you don't have to move to Seattle to find the right people.

Schizophrenic but salvageable

Former Employee - Program Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at SMART Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Opportunity to gain experience, access to all parts of the business that you wouldn't get anywhere else. Anyone can make a difference - Some truly great and brilliant people. I loved almost everyone I worked with. - passion and dare I say love for the company and the the products - Great products, even with some flaws - Finally got away from the founders' direct, terrible influence and insanity - Hugs from teachers - Knowing your products are used by the most powerful people in the world.

Cons

- Still feeling the effects of truly crazy founders, despite the fact we can now have scissors and coffee in open cups, the inane policies and attitude of the founders still permeate the culture. - Terrible marketing and messaging compared to the competition...just awful - Middle management is generally the remaining problem (culture, communication and quality) - there are some exceptions, and these people aren't being recognized enough - Product quality, PM team is still stuck in 2007. - No growth opportunities - lack of career progression - HR team is scarily incompetent. - Still cliquey and siloed - The CTO's "high potential list" shouldn't exist - Overwhelmed with work, too many individuals with responsibilities for one aspect of the business and no backup when they leave/get sacked/go on vacation - if you aren't in Seattle or ex-Microsoft, you don't matter - general culture of malaise - recent losses of very talented, engaged people really hurt and should be of concern

Advice to Management

Promote from within, don't treat the hold-overs that you kept from the previous regime as "old SMART." You kept us around, now treat us like we mean something. Stop with the bullying tactics and harvest the love that many of us [had] for the company and products, instead of complaining that we left the office before 5 PM. Give the individual contributors some growth opportunities. We stuck with all of the craziness of the previous regime, we stuck through your bullying and lack of leadership. You didn't clean house in the level below you, and it's their inability to execute that is keeping SMART down, not the rest of us. We worked our butts off for you and were treated with disdain when things failed. Take note of the key people that have left this summer...that should concern you. I still want the best for SMART - kapp is an amazing product and opportunity,

Cool, unique, innovative company

I have been working at SMART Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about SMART are the people who work there. Not only do I enjoy the people I work with in my own department, but everyone I have had the opportunity to collaborate with in other departments has been fantastic. Everyone is friendly, approachable, and easy to talk with. The fact that in the past three years SMART launched three new products (amp, kapp, and kapp IQ) shows that it isn't slowing down and it is trying to not only catch up with new technology, but be ahead of the game too. I've had the opportunity to see SMART products being used in a classroom. There is definitely a huge intrinsic reward when you see students shine while using products your company created.

Cons

After many, many years of focus on projectors, whiteboards, and notebook, SMART fell behind a little bit in the tech world and is still playing a small game of catch up. But, if we keep innovating brand new products to the market, like amp and kapp, things will start improving rapidly.

Advice to Management

Lets get back to the positives. Recognize peoples successes and announce them to the company. Give examples of people who are hitting our metrics and representing our culture. Not only will this show people what you expect, it will also give them standards to live up to. Plus, people respond positively to recognition for a job well done.

Overall this is a great company

I have been working at SMART Technologies full-time

Pros

Great People that care about their coworkers Cool Products that will actually change the world in business and education Flat Structure (easy access to executives) Opportunities to work on a variety of projects

Cons

Previous reputation is holding us back Still a division of Old SMART and New SMART High pressure to execute or else the company might not make it long term

Advice to Management

The employees all love the company and the products that they create, the challenge is to motivate everyone in a positive way to see and achieve the same common goal.

Product manager

Former Employee - Product Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at SMART Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great office, centrally located. Some very smart people. Access to education technology market. David Martin and Nancy were good to work with.

Cons

Nepotism among middle management. Poor hires for senior leadership, they are thinking commodity. Consider people as cogs

Advice to Management

Hire out of Bay Area for true tech focus

Poor managers

Pros

People, people, people, location, benefits,

Cons

managers are not strong, upper management is not interested in people. Consistently restructuring leads to a very unstable environment

applciation support

I have been working at SMART Technologies full-time

Pros

Nothing, or maybe good location

Cons

many things, bad management and leadership

CEO

Current Employee - Not Management in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Not Management in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at SMART Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

middle management and front people, very talented and knowledgeable. I see many with the strength to question authority, and to demand that leaders lead by example.

Cons

There is talk of accountability, but I cannot see accountability from the top. Focus on increasing revenue by cutting cost, no much different than many other companies. Driven by bigger profits means losing track of what could make this company a great company. Company health benefits are the worst I have ever seen. CEO lacks the respect and admiration from the people he leads. He has on his own destroy his credibility. Will never be able to recover. Will remain CEO if he brings in revenue which he is desperately trying to do. CEO sends letter to employees talking about life-work balance being crap, suggesting employees are lazy if not at work after 5 or on weekends. Seriously poorly written. The message got lost within the content of the letter which should have been reviewed by someone with skill in writing and communication before sending out CEO puts employees in a difficult situation: work harder so profits are up and your CEO can remain your CEO. Really? Can you not see that as a motivation to not do well?

Advice to Management

Employees ARE your biggest assets, but only when you are able to truly and honestly recognize their abilities and skills, when you are able to successfully coach their development into great assets, and when you have the integrity necessary to make the decisions that earns you the respect and trust of those you lead.

10. Great place to work!

I worked at SMART Technologies full-time

Pros

Love the students and staff

Cons

Hard to find one.

Not like the good old days...

Pros

Nice offices, nice colleagues, salary ok, great products & solutions.

Cons

Lack of leadership, opacity from the management team.

RSS Feed </> Embed