SMC Corporation
www.smcworld.com Tokyo, Japan 5000+ Employees

SMC Corporation Reviews

Updated Mar 25, 2014

Katsunori Maruyama

Nice place to work a high stress job and have your wages and benefits slashed year over year.

I have been working at SMC Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

ProsYou get a car and phone.

ConsIncompetent Upper Management with ZERO formal business education and no real business experience. It's a joke in all actuality. In 5 years to 10 years, by HOPEFUL that you are making what you made when you were first hired on.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign and let the people that are more educated than you and have original ideas take over. You are single handily destroying the US operations. This is a sinking ship with nobody to blame but those at the top. If they would only take some time to listen to their middle management about what is really going on, we can turn this around. The only problem is, you have to be a "yes MAM" or you will pushed out before you know what hit you. I truly hope that Japan is listening and does something about this. Soon. Please.

Meh.

Inside Sales (Former Employee)
Noblesville, IN

I worked at SMC Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay was decent. It made up for most of the stuff you had to deal with day to day. Also, the facility was nice and new!

ConsMicro-management (biggest struggle), nepotism (like I have NEVER seen. Everyone in higher management was closely related), not a chance to move up if you were not related to the Vice President, the work load was outrageous at times and the way they ran their day to day operation was "sweat-shop"-ish.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring your own family. It highly discourages other employees.

Outside Sales

Outside Territory Manager (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at SMC Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLocal Management has been good. They are fair and helpful. Great training for pneumatic products and applications. They also have good inside sales support locally.

ConsUpper management (Corporate) treats outside sales like a number. They are constantly changing bonus structure to suit their needs. They also set unrealistic sales goals for their outside sales force. They do not listen or care what the boots on the ground input is.

My experience at SMC was too long; should have left much sooner.

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at SMC Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood product, low pressure. I have to put down more than 4 words for pros. Stumped.

ConsUS management qualifications: President: son of the founder. COO: some sort of "relationship" ; ) with the son of the founder.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo away and let professionals run your company.

Work here ONLY if you can't get a job any where else!

No Comment Gotta Keep This Job for Now (Current Employee)

I have been working at SMC Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey do make payroll every 2 week's. But they should because pay is sooo low!

ConsWhere do I start? The core problem is that this company is nepotism gone wild. People at the top are there because the Japanese owners must think they can trust them to do their bidding. Leadership has no education or experience outside of the company. But do not ask questions or offer other ways of thinking lest you be fired! It is a company run by fear. I've never seen so many people get fired and/or quit. Except for the Friends and Family crew turnover is huge and morale is bottom of the barrel.

Advice to Senior ManagementDitch management, but it will never happen. The parent company in Japan should see the light. I can't believe they are so snowed that they believe leadership at their North American Hdqtrs is anything close to competent or professional.

JAPAN COMPANY

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SMC Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEASY TO APPLY BUT IT MOVE OUT TO INDIAPOLIS

ConsWorking ,no promotion ,low rate

Advice to Senior ManagementEASTCOAST IS BETTER THAN WESTCOAST

Account Manager

I have been working at SMC Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWell respected brand & industry leader. Diverse product portfolio. Effective local/branch management. If productive, can work independently without having to bare micro management.

ConsMorale is low due to restructured compensation package. No incentive for sales reps.

US middle management carries the company despite sr management efforts to destroy it

Design Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at SMC Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThey have been becoming increasingly difficult to identify. Pay check has not bounced yet. Indoor walking track around perimeter of huge empty manufacturing space. Cameras in office area to ensure everyone is safe.

ConsSales person are GPS tracked every 6 minutes. Closed minded, un-educated senior management, everyone knows it but speak up and your fired. Redefine open door policy.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to what your employees are saying. Why have many mid to upper employees left the company? Its the only way to retain sanity, that's why. US COO and team are clueless opportunists.

Upper management needs to leave

Material Control (Former Employee)

I worked at SMC Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits...yeah that is it.

ConsAll management plays favorites. Plant manager would turn and walk away from me so he would not have to speak to me. Upper management will protect jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not leave your job here because you will be worthless at the next company your at.

Good products BUT....

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at SMC Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIs a japanese company with excellent products. Number 1 in Japan and is the world's largest pneumatic manufacturer.

ConsSenior management does not know what they are doing that led to SMC (so many changes) in employee compensation plan. People are demoralized and good people are leaving the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up senior management! You have to listen to your employees. Your employees work hard and give them the rewards we deserve. You must review the compensation plans for sales and non-sales people, because we have currently have is not fair.

Worked for SMC Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SMC Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SMC Corporation CEO Katsunori Maruyama. All 48 reviews posted anonymously by SMC Corporation employees.