SMGI Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
MJ Frumin and Justin Jaworski

Pros
  • The work environment is so much fun (in 6 reviews)

• We have an awesome team environment, rapid advancement opportunities, and a consistently growing client base (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • door to door sales everyone starts there degree or not (in 9 reviews)

• Some people say there is no "work life balance" (in 3 reviews)

Proud to be a part of a great company!

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at SMGI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity to move up and grow very quickly here. My manager is always available to talk about my own personal career path and goals. Management is always willing to listen to ideas and suggestions to make the company better. There is a lot of money to be made by those who are willing to work for it. Special projects are often offered for employees looking to gain additional experience in different areas. The people here are great! It's really nice to work with such talented professionals. I enjoy my job so much that I've recommended the company to several of my friends who where looking for careers (as opposed to just jobs).

Cons

The work can be challenging sometimes (as with any job), but help is always a phone call away.

Advice to Management

Thank you and keep up the great work!

Feb 20, 2015 – Administrator

Thank you for your review! We are glad to have you with us!

Horrible! Fake! What a JOKE! Do NOT be Mislead! Read All Reviews Before Considering!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at SMGI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people. They make the company worth sticking it out for awhile.

Cons

Work/Life Balance There is none. You will be required to work a normal 8 hour day of doing your job typically 5-6 days a week, but in addition to that, you will be required to attend meetings and training sessions that are not compensated. You will also be working most weekends and possible late shifts. There are office nights which happen one night a week which are not mandatory, but if you don't go, people question your loyalty to the company. A typical work day is around 10 hours. If you want to have a family or life, this company is not for you. Compensation A joke. They now offer "base salaries" (for certain positions only) which are incredibly low and not enough to make a dent in someone's expenses. Typically (if you even get a base), they are around $300 a week before taxes, which is only $15K a year. Basically you need to still be very good at sales, hit your quotas, and then you can make some ok $$. Only the very top managers of this company actually make decent compensation. Sales are a must in any position in this company, and you have to be very good at them. Please don't let them fool you into thinking sales and mostly commission are not at the forefront. Most people would make more flipping burgers then they would at SMGI. Career Opportunities SMGI talks a lot of big picture, which is why I got sucked in in the first place. Throughout my time with this company, I've only seen 1 actual promotion into management. The rest were not actual promotions or they would give people different titles, make them do more work, and no extra payout. Even if you work your butt off and are good at sales, the chances of you actually getting promoted by this company are slim to none. You need to build a "team" before you can get promoted which means you need to find about 10 other people willing to do what you do and stick it out long enough for you to make it. If you want actual career growth, don't work here. Culture & Values The culture seems cool, younger office environment, everyone appears to be working towards something. From what I've seen, the top managers in the company do not value people and see employees as disposable. They only care how big their wallets are and will flaunt their wealth to everyone when they pay the people actually working, next to nothing. I felt very mislead from the time I started to the time I left this company for a real opportunity. Benefits They use the term "benefits" very loosely. They advertise "full benefits" because the company will pay a certain amount of your premium each month. The actual health plans barely offer any type of coverage, so please do not be fooled by this ploy either. You would still have to pay out of pocket for a simple doctor visit. You would probably be better off going to Med Express. They do not offer 401K, PTO, Vacation, or Sick time. There is no PTO unless you are in some type of an admin or recruiting role. For all of the sales positions, if you aren't at work you won't get paid. This company has a long way to go if they plan on sticking around for the long haul. Please do not be fooled by the rave reviews, because I've seen their HR/Admin team write them before. Do your research. Are there some reviews that are clearly written by disgruntled employees? Yes, but unfortunately, they have a lot of truth to them as well. The only good thing this company did was get rid of Door to Door sales, but even without this, the company is still a serious joke.

Advice to Management

Read the negative reviews and make changes. Offer people livable base salaries and a work/life balance. Enough with the smoke and mirrors!

Apr 23, 2015 – Administrator

Hi, I'm sorry you feel this way about our company. There are numerous errors in your post and I will simply respond with the facts: 1. No one in SMGI is required to work more than 8 hours per day ... More

Fake People..There is no way door to door sales people are that excited about their job.

I worked at SMGI

Pros

Great practice with interviewing process although potential employees are mislead into thinking it's going to be a more professional job than it is.

Cons

Door to Door - outside in freezing cold (winter weather conditions) - walking around random neighborhoods in the dark (also subject to season) - general cons that come along with door to door "sales" - people do not like strangers knocking on their door, especially not at night/once it is dark outside - had the police called on me because I did not have a permit to solicit in the area (my veteran field partner knew I needed one) Forced to display unnatural level of excitement about a job that is not exciting Morning "pump-ups" in which you play icebreakers as if you're at camp Forced to be more aggressive with potential "customers" than I was comfortable with (instructed to not take first "no" for an answer) You can work multiple days and make $0 (commission based job)

Feb 5, 2015 – Administrator

Hello, Thank you for your review. As of the beginning of the year (2015), we no longer do door to door sales and we offer base salaries. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

WOW...Unreal what is happening...

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at SMGI

Pros

During my time with the company I did get paid well ($1000-$1500/wk), for the sole fact that I was forced to because it was 100% commission based. Pros, I was pretty well allowed to do whatever I wanted to because I was doing well enough for the client and the company so no one said anything. Honestly, my co-workers were the only thing that kept me around.

Cons

Where do I begin... -Lets start with the lies in some of these review (which current employees are told to write whenever there is a bad review). THERE IS NO WORK/LIFE BALANCE. You work 9am-9pm 5 days a week and then a half day Saturday. That is 66 hrs/wk minimum. -Additionally, it was all commission. The 'benefits' package was a scam. HealthCare, which for the first year I was in the company was not provided, only covered about 50% of the actual cost for the plan. Secondly, you are given "unlimited vacation and personal days, as long as they are reasonable". So when you would ask for a day off the Director would question you to no end about why you thought you should be taking a day off and they were rarely approved. -You also will no doubt be working 6 days a week even though they tell you 5. -You will be lucky to get your last paycheck once you quit. Only way you get it is if you send constant emails asking about it. I can only imagine if there were some past employees who were actually shorted pay once quitting. On multiple times my paychecks were wrong. Same thing happened for other employees as well, some didn't even get paid because the company 'forgot'. -Majority of the company is door to door so be on the lookout if they "invite a select few back for a full day interview." You will shadow an employee in "their territory" and follow them like a puppy dog to see if they can convince a old lady to sign up for a higher energy rate. -Morning meetings: at first they seem okay and they are 'developing' you as a professional. But, then once you hear the same one again you realize they are all just there to convince the new people that what you are doing isn't completely crazy

Advice to Management

Cut it out and stop lying to people. No new offices are not opening up because you are already cutting (firing) employees. Unless you want to work on a door-to-door energy campaign there is zero room for growth.

A great place to work!

Current Employee - Area Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at SMGI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SMGI empowers their people and cultivates individuals to help them grow into the smart, innovative people they are. Teamwork is important here, and everyone has a great dynamic with each other. It’s a company filled with people who are passionate about their own success and growing the company. Ideas are welcome, encouraged, and listened to. They care about your success and really give you every opportunity to grow. It’s a very positive and exciting environment to be in, and a unique company to be a part of.

Cons

Hard work, which technically isn't a con, but it can seem like one to someone who has trouble envisioning their long term goals. Definitely not the place for someone who lacks ambition. There is a lot of room to differentiate and get noticed at SMGI, people who aren't afraid to work hard thrive here!

Advice to Management

SMGI has a “work hard, play hard” attitude, which the people here thrive off of. Keep the culture as SMGI continues to grow, and continue to reward employees for their hard work and passion towards the business.

Great place to launch a career

Former Employee - Corporate Trainer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Corporate Trainer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at SMGI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you have a student mentality and a strong work ethic, this is the best place to launch a career and get into management. SMGI has some great clients and the corporate culture is amazing. From the beginning, you are given a lot of responsibility and the freedom to run with it. The office environment is flexible and cool, and your voice is definitely heard and appreciated here.

Cons

As a young, growing company, there aren't a lot of systems in place, which makes "office-types" uncomfortable. The hours can be long at times, so forget the "9-to-5" thinking that your grandparents were used to.

Advice to Management

Cooler business trips please! Miami? LA? More client trips to New York?

Possesses Opportunities that I didn't Think Possible at My Age

Current Employee - Account Manager - Energy Services in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Account Manager - Energy Services in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at SMGI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Upward and Lateral Mobility - Marketing, Event Planning, Sales, HR, Recruiting, Advertising, Administration, Management - upon starting one has the ability to move up the ladder or to move into a different department, if their strengths or desires better align. Competitive Earning Potential (with salary, commissions, and bonuses, someone can earn a solid income for themselves and/or family) Average Entry Level Employee makes $30K+ Average Event Planning makes $70K+ Average Team Lead/Project Manager makes $80K+ Average General Manager makes $120K+ Positive, Fun Work Environment Entrepreneurial Company Culture without Bureaucracy or Favoritism Travel Opportunities

Cons

My project is with a Fortune 500 company and they can be very demanding and high maintenance. 50 hours a week, not 40, and Saturdays if a deadline or target needs met. Not all projects are glamorous Ad Campaigns or Event Planning Projects. Constantly Pushed outside Comfort Zone. The only reason someone should get into sales/marketing/advertising/event planning is if they want to put the work in to earn good money. I would hate my job, if I wanted 40 hours sitting at my desk, with low to moderate responsibilities.

Advice to Management

MORE "SEXY" PROJECTS, but DON'T TAKE AWAY THE EARNING POTENTIAL

RSS Feed </> Embed