SMGI

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A great place to work!

Current Employee - Area Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at SMGI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

SMGI empowers their people and cultivates individuals to help them grow into the smart, innovative people they are. Teamwork is important here, and everyone has a great dynamic with each other. It’s a company filled with people who are passionate about their own success and growing the company. Ideas are welcome, encouraged, and listened to. They care about your success and really give you every opportunity to grow. It’s a very positive and exciting environment to be in, and a unique company to be a part of.

Cons

Hard work, which technically isn't a con, but it can seem like one to someone who has trouble envisioning their long term goals. Definitely not the place for someone who lacks ambition. There is a lot of room to differentiate and get noticed at SMGI, people who aren't afraid to work hard thrive here!

SMGI has a “work hard, play hard” attitude, which the people here thrive off of. Keep the culture as SMGI continues to grow, and continue to reward employees for their hard work and passion towards the business.

WOW...Unreal what is happening...

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at SMGI

Pros

During my time with the company I did get paid well ($1000-$1500/wk), for the sole fact that I was forced to because it was 100% commission based. Pros, I was pretty well allowed to do whatever I wanted to because I was doing well enough for the client and the company so no one said anything. Honestly, my co-workers were the only thing that kept me around.

Cons

Where do I begin...
    -Lets start with the lies in some of these review (which current employees are told to write whenever there is a bad review). THERE IS NO WORK/LIFE BALANCE. You work 9am-9pm 5 days a week and then a half day Saturday. That is 66 hrs/wk minimum.
    -Additionally, it was all commission. The 'benefits' package was a scam. HealthCare, which for the first year I was in the company was not provided, only covered about 50% of the actual cost for the plan. Secondly, you are given "unlimited vacation and personal days, as long as they are reasonable". So when you would ask for a day off the Director would question you to no end about why you thought you should be taking a day off and they were rarely approved.
    -You also will no doubt be working 6 days a week even though they tell you 5.
    -You will be lucky to get your last paycheck once you quit. Only way you get it is if you send constant emails asking about it. I can only imagine if there were some past employees who were actually shorted pay once quitting. On multiple times my paychecks were wrong. Same thing happened for other employees as well, some didn't even get paid because the company 'forgot'.
    -Majority of the company is door to door so be on the lookout if they "invite a select few back for a full day interview." You will shadow an employee in "their territory" and follow them like a puppy dog to see if they can convince a old lady to sign up for a higher energy rate.
    -Morning meetings: at first they seem okay and they are 'developing' you as a professional. But, then once you hear the same one again you realize they are all just there to convince the new people that what you are doing isn't completely crazy

Cut it out and stop lying to people. No new offices are not opening up because you are already cutting (firing) employees. Unless you want to work on a door-to-door energy campaign there is zero room for growth.

Possesses Opportunities that I didn't Think Possible at My Age

Current Employee - Account Manager - Energy Services in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Account Manager - Energy Services in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at SMGI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Upward and Lateral Mobility - Marketing, Event Planning, Sales, HR, Recruiting, Advertising, Administration, Management - upon starting one has the ability to move up the ladder or to move into a different department, if their strengths or desires better align.

Competitive Earning Potential (with salary, commissions, and bonuses, someone can earn a solid income for themselves and/or family)
    Average Entry Level Employee makes $30K+
    Average Event Planning makes $70K+
    Average Team Lead/Project Manager makes $80K+
    Average General Manager makes $120K+

Positive, Fun Work Environment

Entrepreneurial Company Culture without Bureaucracy or Favoritism

Travel Opportunities

Cons

My project is with a Fortune 500 company and they can be very demanding and high maintenance.
    50 hours a week, not 40, and Saturdays if a deadline or target needs met.
    Not all projects are glamorous Ad Campaigns or Event Planning Projects.
    Constantly Pushed outside Comfort Zone.

The only reason someone should get into sales/marketing/advertising/event planning is if they want to put the work in to earn good money. I would hate my job, if I wanted 40 hours sitting at my desk, with low to moderate responsibilities.

MORE "SEXY" PROJECTS, but DON'T TAKE AWAY THE EARNING POTENTIAL

Great place to launch a career

Former Employee - Corporate Trainer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Corporate Trainer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at SMGI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you have a student mentality and a strong work ethic, this is the best place to launch a career and get into management. SMGI has some great clients and the corporate culture is amazing. From the beginning, you are given a lot of responsibility and the freedom to run with it. The office environment is flexible and cool, and your voice is definitely heard and appreciated here.

Cons

As a young, growing company, there aren't a lot of systems in place, which makes "office-types" uncomfortable. The hours can be long at times, so forget the "9-to-5" thinking that your grandparents were used to.

Cooler business trips please! Miami? LA? More client trips to New York?