SMGI

SMGI Reviews in Philadelphia, PA

Updated Jun 29, 2014

Tim Koontz

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Event Marketing - Very Satisfied!

Territory Manager (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsI love working at SMGI! Here are what I consider some of the pros to be:

- Compensation: This is my first job out of college and with the base / commission structure, I'm projecting to make $50k this year.
     - Work Environment: The management team here is very laid back and easy to talk to. I'm on a small team of about 10. We all hang out outside the office too. The company really wants it to be a family environment so they host weekly office outings. They have this "we're all in this together" mantra.
     - Benefits: A lot of my friends got in to companies thinking they were getting free benefits, when actually, they had to pay most of it. The company was just taking it out of their check for them. SMGI pays for 100% of my medical, dental, and vision plan.

ConsAny job has it's negatives. There aren't many here, from what I've experienced but these are some things to know before taking a job here:

- Flexible hours are required: This is true especially if you're on the events team. Some of the events will have evening hours. They make up for it by letting you start late on those days, but definitely take note that every day isn't strictly 9-5.
     - Advancement is "merit based": They don't promote off of seniority. If you don't get the job done, new people will come in and pass you up (like me when I started, ha!)

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be beneficial to work more with the managers in other markets. We seem to be expanding so fast it's hard to work with the people outside of the city you're in. I've heard this from a few people on the team. More chances to travel to the other office and more networking events would be awesome!

Flag Review
    SMGI Employer Representative responded to this review Jul 7, 2014 EditDelete
    Thanks for the feedback! We have recently implemented quarterly conferences in various locations, including Las Vegas next month, to reward our top performers in all departments. We agree that ... More

A great place to work!

Area Manager (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsSMGI empowers their people and cultivates individuals to help them grow into the smart, innovative people they are. Teamwork is important here, and everyone has a great dynamic with each other. It’s a company filled with people who are passionate about their own success and growing the company. Ideas are welcome, encouraged, and listened to. They care about your success and really give you every opportunity to grow. It’s a very positive and exciting environment to be in, and a unique company to be a part of.

ConsHard work, which technically isn't a con, but it can seem like one to someone who has trouble envisioning their long term goals. Definitely not the place for someone who lacks ambition. There is a lot of room to differentiate and get noticed at SMGI, people who aren't afraid to work hard thrive here!

Advice to Senior ManagementSMGI has a “work hard, play hard” attitude, which the people here thrive off of. Keep the culture as SMGI continues to grow, and continue to reward employees for their hard work and passion towards the business.

Possesses Opportunities that I didn't Think Possible at My Age

Account Manager - Energy Services (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsUpward and Lateral Mobility - Marketing, Event Planning, Sales, HR, Recruiting, Advertising, Administration, Management - upon starting one has the ability to move up the ladder or to move into a different department, if their strengths or desires better align.

Competitive Earning Potential (with salary, commissions, and bonuses, someone can earn a solid income for themselves and/or family)
    Average Entry Level Employee makes $30K+
    Average Event Planning makes $70K+
    Average Team Lead/Project Manager makes $80K+
    Average General Manager makes $120K+

Positive, Fun Work Environment

Entrepreneurial Company Culture without Bureaucracy or Favoritism

Travel Opportunities

ConsMy project is with a Fortune 500 company and they can be very demanding and high maintenance.
    50 hours a week, not 40, and Saturdays if a deadline or target needs met.
    Not all projects are glamorous Ad Campaigns or Event Planning Projects.
    Constantly Pushed outside Comfort Zone.

The only reason someone should get into sales/marketing/advertising/event planning is if they want to put the work in to earn good money. I would hate my job, if I wanted 40 hours sitting at my desk, with low to moderate responsibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementMORE "SEXY" PROJECTS, but DON'T TAKE AWAY THE EARNING POTENTIAL

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to launch a career

Corporate Trainer (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsIf you have a student mentality and a strong work ethic, this is the best place to launch a career and get into management. SMGI has some great clients and the corporate culture is amazing. From the beginning, you are given a lot of responsibility and the freedom to run with it. The office environment is flexible and cool, and your voice is definitely heard and appreciated here.

ConsAs a young, growing company, there aren't a lot of systems in place, which makes "office-types" uncomfortable. The hours can be long at times, so forget the "9-to-5" thinking that your grandparents were used to.

Advice to Senior ManagementCooler business trips please! Miami? LA? More client trips to New York?

Worked for SMGI? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SMGI reviews and ratings in Philadelphia, PA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SMGI CEO Tim Koontz. All reviews posted anonymously by SMGI employees.