SMGI Reviews

Updated August 2, 2014
Updated August 2, 2014

4.1

Tim Koontz

Great corporate culture! Lots of independence!

Current Employee - Territory Manager  in  Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at SMGI full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've worked with SMGI for 3 months as a Territory Manager in Hoboken. I've loved it so far! I'm on the events team for the Verizon project. The training was great, I was able to get out on my own running my own events and managing my own accounts within 3 weeks. It happened a lot faster than I thought it would.

I also like the flexibility in my job. The manager Jake isn't over my shoulder all the time making sure I'm doing what I'm supposed to. There's a good balance between team work that we do and independent work I do with my accounts and events. Overall I'm very satisfied!

Cons

Sometimes the vendors can be difficult to work with. I'd imagine it's the same for anyone in the events industry. I imagine it gets better as the relationships are strengthened and solidified. We are pretty new to the North Jersey area.

More travel opportunities would be nice. I know we have offices in Philly and Pittsburgh, but I haven't had the chance to visit them yet. I'd like to meet some of the other people on this project in other markets for networking and team building purposes.

I can't wait to be a manager!

Current Employee - Junior Account Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Junior Account Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at SMGI full-time for less than a year

Pros

Growth growth and more growth! I have only worked here for 2 months, and I already saw 3 promotions into management! My degree was in Business Management, but I didn't have any managerial experience other then being a Team Leader at Target. Working at SMGI has actually given me the chance to coach and lead others while I work on getting promoted to a management role myself!

Cons

Coaching others. I never realized that people have so many different learning styles and at first it was really challenging for me. I just figured because I learned one way it would be easy to teach people that, but it's not and you have to work at it. The managers are really hands on with helping though so I think I am getting better!

Offer more training sessions on how to coach/manage other people right away.

“Freedom to Grow”

Current Employee - Corporate Trainer  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Corporate Trainer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at SMGI full-time for less than a year

Pros

The thing I love the most about working at SMGI is the freedom I have to be myself. I am able to focus on my growth without the fear of making mistakes. In order to be successful you have to fail first, this is something that was taught to me from Day 1, and it is true that anyone making a sincere effort to learn and grow will be given plenty of opportunity to do so. This allows individuals to gain the confidence and skills that are necessary to tap into their true potential - all while being surrounded by peers who are supportive and encouraging in this endeavor. It important to have fun along the way and enjoy what you do and this place makes that possible. I have had the opportunity to see 2 promotions to management in the time that I have worked with the company and I look forward to achieving that goal myself within the next 6 months!

Cons

While your strengths will be maximized and you're rewarded based on your success, your weaknesses are also exposed. This job is all about getting outside your comfort zone. It allows you to work with all different types of people which can sometimes be challenging, but it will definitely strengthen your communication skills for sure! You're taught what you need to know in order to be successful in a management role.

Never stop learning and growing. No one is perfect. I think you all set a great example of leadership and are willing to listen to others - even those who are in the entry level - and genuinely take to heart any issue at hand. You genuinely want to be challenged and become better, and I would only encourage you to continue doing so relentlessly. Also thanks for now offering FULL Benefits!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great environment and opportunity

Former Employee - Account Manager/Leader  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Account Manager/Leader in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at SMGI full-time for less than a year

Pros

At SMGI, they really work with every employee and actually care about everyone individually. If you are struggling with any aspect, they try to help you. Crew leaders and coworkers care about your personal life and problems. There is great opportunity for growth and management. As long as you work hard you can really go far with this company. They also don't hold a few past mistakes against you, if you are qualified. This company is also like a community and can be a lot of fun including nights out together. You can learn a lot with this company and I loved my time there.

Cons

The job is straight commission and does take strong people skills and good work ethic. Besides the hours and that, I still think it is a good company.

Keep doing what you are doing, but don't forget the $ value of your employees.

Great experience, difficult work.

Former Employee - Entry Level/Corporate Trainer
    Former Employee - Entry Level/Corporate Trainer

I worked at SMGI full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Great experience
    -People we work with in the office (trust me when I say you'll love them...well I loved them until a huge chunk of fab people left the office for various reasons)
    -No cap on what you earn
    -Really cool managers like Tim, Jay...etc

Cons

-no base pay
    -100% commission. Some people earned the $1000 a week but most didnt. There are 2 campaigns, DE (energy) and Verizon. Making someone change their energy provider, something they barely give thought to, is SO much easier than making someone change their TV provider.
    All you have to do with DE is make them sign some stuff, they get changed over (there is a process of course, including the TPV call) and there isn't a fee to cancel.
    VERIZON on the other hand...there is a $250 fee to cancel (customers freak out when you tell them this), you get credit fails and can't sign people up, people are loyal to comcast or think it's a hassle or have OLD notions about verizon, or don't like verizon. Overall it's a pain in the butt and those who are on the DE campaign get promoted faster and make a consistent amount of money. Those on verizon have a harder time
    -Physically incredibly tiring (esp if you don't have a car)
    -Emotionally tiring (awesome people in the office and evil people in the field (potential customers)
    -Must pay for gas, food if you eat outside because it's too heavy to carry lunch, people get annoyed when you ask for rides, expensive traveling by train, if you give people rides, you cut down on time in the field and it translates to losing money
    -If you don't make a sale, you make NO money
    They tell you you can build a team but it's honestly super hard and there are no spaces for excuses

Have people go from DE to verizon (getting to verizon is the promotion).
    No more door to door and do a different type of marketing instead.

Great place to work, Great people, Great opportunity to advance! - Pittsburgh

Current Employee - Lead Account Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Lead Account Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at SMGI full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work independently during the day w/o having to be micro managed! Great hours!! They don't start until 12 and you're done early enough in the evening to have a life!!! This has been the perfect balance transitioning into a career right after school!! They offer personal financing seminars and training on how to budget after school. This has been extremely helpful as a recent college grad!! They people here are amazing!! Everyone is positive and upbeat which makes it easy to WANT to come in every day!!

Cons

Some people say there is no "work life balance". Well I say get better with your time!! You have every morning to get things done during normal business hours and you're off at night to do whatever you want!!

Thanks for now offering benefits!

SMGI Response

Jul 7, 2014

We're glad to hear you're enjoying your time at SMGI on our Pittsburgh team. Thanks for the feedback!

Youthful Company!

I have been working at SMGI

Pros

Although a younger company, very ambitious and has a grow-able business model. I like how all of the management started off at the entry level and the strictly internal promotion structure. A great place to learn a lot about growing a biz.

Cons

I would like more opportunities to travel outside of the Northeast.

get better markers for the white boards! ha ha

SMGI Response

Jun 16, 2014

Thanks for the feedback! I've just ordered top of the line markers for every office! You deserve the best.

Also, we have a couple trips to Vegas planned this year. Ask your manager how you can
    ... More

WASTE OF TIME

I worked at SMGI

Pros

none. It's all smoke and mirrors. It's a marketing pitch.

Cons

too many to list.. they've built this business on deceiving young professionals..

stop abusing recent grads

The real insight

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Conshohocken, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Conshohocken, PA

I worked at SMGI full-time for less than a year

Pros

There was a really great work enviorment .... Everyone is young and it fun .....

Cons

-door to door sales everyone starts there degree or not
    -Work on commission
    -Use your own car and gas
    -Lies

Actually look at the resume know what people you are hiring.... stop praying on recent college graduates who are desprite,these are people who just got bills for the first time in thier life they cant afford to work on just commision , pay people for thier time even if its just minimum wage cause your hours are rediculous those are 10 hour shift ..... 11 to 9 is outragous ... Its not about people beingLazy its about the principle ... Its almost slavery .... With those hours how do you considere yourself to have a life ....

Very happy so far with my time here

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Conshohocken, PA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Conshohocken, PA

I have been working at SMGI full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been with SMGI for just over a year. Here are a few of the major things I appreciate about the company.
     - Great training program
     - Competitive pay
     - Travel opportunities
     - Advancement opportunity
     - Weekly office outings (Philadelphia)

Cons

I honestly can't think of anything negative to say about the company. I've been very happy so far. The company has been very transparent in regards to what they expect out of me as an employee.

Keep it up! I'm excited to see where we go next. I've heard a lot of talk about these new cities we're going to open up in this year. I'm just excited to see it play out.

Worked for SMGI? Contribute to the Community!