SMGI

Tim Koontz

Love My Job!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at SMGI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Since I started working here I have grown personally and professionally. Up to this point I really didn't know what I wanted to do with my life or what my strong points were. SMGI has really enabled me to come out of my shell and be someone. Since I have been meeting with clients and customers I am much more outgoing and am not as shy. I have been promoted in the company and am recognized for my hard work!

Cons

At first it was really hard for me to get out of my comfort zone when I was talking in front of the room and meeting with our clients. You really need to be able to be comfortable talking with people you may not know!

Thank you for always being available. The open door policy is really awesome and it's nice to have your boss able to talk to you when it's needed. The management team also just started offering us benefits which is great! Now that I'm not on my parents insurance anymore, this was really important to me. Since we have new positions opening up here in Pittsburgh, I was able to decide where I wanted to take my career! Thanks!!

Scam

Former Employee - Corporate Trainer in Conshohocken, PA
    Former Employee - Corporate Trainer in Conshohocken, PA

I worked at SMGI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nothing. Maybe the coworkers. Please read below. Only sufficing the 20 word minimum for the pros section

Cons

Everything is smoke and mirrors. This company is just a group of self-glorified door to door salesmen primarily selling Fios. The pay is less than minimum wage. You make 100 dollars per customer you persuade with the deplorable sales tactics they teach. It might sound easy but trust me when i say most customers you successfully 'help' are senior citizens who dont have a clue what's going on. Typically you get one customer every 2 days which is 50 dollars per day for working the hours from 11-8. To put it bluntly, you make more working at McDonald's. This company isn't even good for padding your resume. They are notoriously known as immoral salesman within the Philadelphia area. Do not believe them when they say have branches outside of their Conshohocken and Pittsburgh offices. They make themselves larger than they are to impress newcomers to the company. Stay away. Work at a bank, retail, customer service, retail, just anywhere but here. You have been warned. If you don't believe me, just Google search 'smgi scam Philadelphia. '

Stop acting like you make six figures when you can't even afford a luxury sedan...wait....or even a smart phone

Great corporate culture! Lots of independence!

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at SMGI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've worked with SMGI for 3 months as a Territory Manager in Hoboken. I've loved it so far! I'm on the events team for the Verizon project. The training was great, I was able to get out on my own running my own events and managing my own accounts within 3 weeks. It happened a lot faster than I thought it would.

I also like the flexibility in my job. The manager Jake isn't over my shoulder all the time making sure I'm doing what I'm supposed to. There's a good balance between team work that we do and independent work I do with my accounts and events. Overall I'm very satisfied!

Cons

Sometimes the vendors can be difficult to work with. I'd imagine it's the same for anyone in the events industry. I imagine it gets better as the relationships are strengthened and solidified. We are pretty new to the North Jersey area.

More travel opportunities would be nice. I know we have offices in Philly and Pittsburgh, but I haven't had the chance to visit them yet. I'd like to meet some of the other people on this project in other markets for networking and team building purposes.

MISLEADING

Former Employee - Account Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at SMGI part-time (less than an year)

Pros

learning from mistakes.
    ability to embarrass yourself in commission based environment.
    learn to be weary of any employers that don't disclose full details about company.

Cons

you'll be selling door to door in remote rural areas, misleading under-educated, old people.
    the image of the office and interview are all staged. it's to lure people in.
    misleading salary. there is no salary, only a commission that is much lower than stated.

tell people exactly what they'e getting into so you won't waste the time of those of us who would prefer not to sell door to door

“Freedom to Grow”

Current Employee - Corporate Trainer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Corporate Trainer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at SMGI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The thing I love the most about working at SMGI is the freedom I have to be myself. I am able to focus on my growth without the fear of making mistakes. In order to be successful you have to fail first, this is something that was taught to me from Day 1, and it is true that anyone making a sincere effort to learn and grow will be given plenty of opportunity to do so. This allows individuals to gain the confidence and skills that are necessary to tap into their true potential - all while being surrounded by peers who are supportive and encouraging in this endeavor. It important to have fun along the way and enjoy what you do and this place makes that possible. I have had the opportunity to see 2 promotions to management in the time that I have worked with the company and I look forward to achieving that goal myself within the next 6 months!

Cons

While your strengths will be maximized and you're rewarded based on your success, your weaknesses are also exposed. This job is all about getting outside your comfort zone. It allows you to work with all different types of people which can sometimes be challenging, but it will definitely strengthen your communication skills for sure! You're taught what you need to know in order to be successful in a management role.

Never stop learning and growing. No one is perfect. I think you all set a great example of leadership and are willing to listen to others - even those who are in the entry level - and genuinely take to heart any issue at hand. You genuinely want to be challenged and become better, and I would only encourage you to continue doing so relentlessly. Also thanks for now offering FULL Benefits!!

Great environment and opportunity

Former Employee - Account Manager/Leader in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Account Manager/Leader in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at SMGI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

At SMGI, they really work with every employee and actually care about everyone individually. If you are struggling with any aspect, they try to help you. Crew leaders and coworkers care about your personal life and problems. There is great opportunity for growth and management. As long as you work hard you can really go far with this company. They also don't hold a few past mistakes against you, if you are qualified. This company is also like a community and can be a lot of fun including nights out together. You can learn a lot with this company and I loved my time there.

Cons

The job is straight commission and does take strong people skills and good work ethic. Besides the hours and that, I still think it is a good company.

Keep doing what you are doing, but don't forget the $ value of your employees.

Great experience, difficult work.

Former Employee - Entry Level/Corporate Trainer
    Former Employee - Entry Level/Corporate Trainer

I worked at SMGI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Great experience
    -People we work with in the office (trust me when I say you'll love them...well I loved them until a huge chunk of fab people left the office for various reasons)
    -No cap on what you earn
    -Really cool managers like Tim, Jay...etc

Cons

-no base pay
    -100% commission. Some people earned the $1000 a week but most didnt. There are 2 campaigns, DE (energy) and Verizon. Making someone change their energy provider, something they barely give thought to, is SO much easier than making someone change their TV provider.
    All you have to do with DE is make them sign some stuff, they get changed over (there is a process of course, including the TPV call) and there isn't a fee to cancel.
    VERIZON on the other hand...there is a $250 fee to cancel (customers freak out when you tell them this), you get credit fails and can't sign people up, people are loyal to comcast or think it's a hassle or have OLD notions about verizon, or don't like verizon. Overall it's a pain in the butt and those who are on the DE campaign get promoted faster and make a consistent amount of money. Those on verizon have a harder time
    -Physically incredibly tiring (esp if you don't have a car)
    -Emotionally tiring (awesome people in the office and evil people in the field (potential customers)
    -Must pay for gas, food if you eat outside because it's too heavy to carry lunch, people get annoyed when you ask for rides, expensive traveling by train, if you give people rides, you cut down on time in the field and it translates to losing money
    -If you don't make a sale, you make NO money
    They tell you you can build a team but it's honestly super hard and there are no spaces for excuses

Have people go from DE to verizon (getting to verizon is the promotion).
    No more door to door and do a different type of marketing instead.

Youthful Company!

I have been working at SMGI

Pros

Although a younger company, very ambitious and has a grow-able business model. I like how all of the management started off at the entry level and the strictly internal promotion structure. A great place to learn a lot about growing a biz.

Cons

I would like more opportunities to travel outside of the Northeast.

get better markers for the white boards! ha ha

SMGI Response

Jun 16, 2014

Thanks for the feedback! I've just ordered top of the line markers for every office! You deserve the best.

Also, we have a couple trips to Vegas planned this year. Ask your manager how you can
    ... More

Great place to work, Great people, Great opportunity to advance! - Pittsburgh

Current Employee - Lead Account Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Lead Account Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at SMGI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work independently during the day w/o having to be micro managed! Great hours!! They don't start until 12 and you're done early enough in the evening to have a life!!! This has been the perfect balance transitioning into a career right after school!! They offer personal financing seminars and training on how to budget after school. This has been extremely helpful as a recent college grad!! They people here are amazing!! Everyone is positive and upbeat which makes it easy to WANT to come in every day!!

Cons

Some people say there is no "work life balance". Well I say get better with your time!! You have every morning to get things done during normal business hours and you're off at night to do whatever you want!!

Thanks for now offering benefits!

SMGI Response

Jul 7, 2014

We're glad to hear you're enjoying your time at SMGI on our Pittsburgh team. Thanks for the feedback!

WASTE OF TIME

I worked at SMGI

Pros

none. It's all smoke and mirrors. It's a marketing pitch.

Cons

too many to list.. they've built this business on deceiving young professionals..

stop abusing recent grads