SMGI Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.7
MJ Frumin and Justin Jaworski

Pros
  • The work environment is so much fun (in 6 reviews)

• We have an awesome team environment, rapid advancement opportunities, and a consistently growing client base (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • door to door sales everyone starts there degree or not (in 9 reviews)

• Some people say there is no "work life balance" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Expansive opportunities, with New Markets and Divisions, for our Fortune 100 client

Current Employee - Team Lead in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at SMGI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's been so far a progressive journey being apart of the growth of the Pittsburgh market! The New management team that earned the Pittsburgh market this past year are not only a great support system they are also very structured, respectful, and logical with the New merit based systems in place when it comes to their employees progressing within SMGI. It's not political like some companies can be and the performance based system allowed even my current manager to surpass the concept of seniority. It's nice to work for a company that rewards us for our actions. The company is opening New opportunities that evolved and adapted to the changes within the demands of the market. Giving myself and our team of up and coming market managers freedom of choice and upward mobility. We just opened new divisions for our fortune 100 client in Pittsburgh positioning our product in a much more convenient and updated fashion. KIOSK and BIG BOX RETAIL is now offering a base, allowing everyone to get paid for their time to develop their skills and progress within the company comfortably or getting paid competitive commissions that do the same. The company also takes care of their driven employees by creating on going bonuses that benefit their employees financially for every pay term. Personally as a current team lead I'm learning about building a thriving and competitive office and one thing I do like is the fact that we have been selecting quality over quantity when employing candidates to thrive with our company. Although most people can be taught and coached to perform we look not only for sales reps but future managers which means we look for individuals with strong leadership capabilities that can meet us halfway to be a future asset within our company. The traveling opportunities are fantastic! As we have been growing and branching out to New markets we have opportunity to take business trips to different states/cities to not only test the market but help build opportunity in those markets as well.

Cons

It takes time to build a top thriving market and up and coming market managers for our client while there are new markets already waiting for our specialists to build others, as of right now there's not enough specialists ready to take over the other areas.

Advice to Management

The company should really capitalize on career fairs and create an opportunity meeting to target more quality candidates to help expedite the build of this market so we can quickly get to the other markets waiting for our services.

Apr 24, 2015 – Administrator

Thank you for your review! I am glad you are enjoying your time here at SMGI and are taking advantage of this great opportunity. Also thank you for your advice and it will be definitely taken into ... More

2. Overall good experience

Former Employee - Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at SMGI

Pros

I had the ability to intern at SMGi this passes summer and I really enjoyed the work environment. I was given the opportunity to work alongside team leads and management while still having freedom to work on my own. I was treated as an equal even though I was only an intern and was given countless opportunities to thrive and learn. It is a fun work environment with people who push you to succeed while still assisting you in the development process. All in all, I really liked it and learned alot about sales and working with a large client.

Cons

Working on weekends can be annoying but its when the sales are highest.

Advice to Management

Work with college kids that are young and hungry and have goals of advancing in a company.

Jul 31, 2015 – Administrator

Thank you for your review of our internship program. I am glad you got to see our great work environment and team while gaining valuable hands on experience in your field of study. We will take your ... More

3. Leaving to pursue dreams

Former Employee - Team Leader in Conshohocken, PA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Conshohocken, PA

I worked at SMGI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At SMGi I learned self-worth and how to work hard to reach goals. SMGi feels very "homey" and at this company everyone is very connected. At SMGi the employees who work the hardest are the employees that are rewarded. One of the best things about SMGi is that the management is very flexible when it comes to schedules.

Cons

This job tends to have no boundaries when it comes to personal time being separate from work. Because it is commission based, if there is an opportunity to make a sale on a day off or after hours you would only be hurting yourself if you let that opportunity pass.

Advice to Management

My advise would be to try and create more stability for the team. It is a little unsetting not knowing what things can be like in 6 months. Also, while recruiting it would be smart to make sure that the employee lives close to where their territory will be. A lot of travel time daily takes a huge toll after awhile and it lowers motivation.

5. Job review

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at SMGI (Less than a year)

Pros

Great sales experience and environment that was fun and challenging at the same time The managers are hardworking and dedicated to the business

Cons

the weather was terrible with all the snow and long evening hours although new job locations in doors im sure eliminate weather being a factor day to day

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Jul 10, 2015 – Administrator

Hello, Thank you for your review. I am glad you had a good training experience and found the job challenging and fun. You are correct, our Retail and Kiosk locations our employees work out of make ... More

Trainer

Former Employee - Corporate Trainer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Corporate Trainer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at SMGI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment great people, good training

Cons

Door to door 100% commission

Jul 6, 2015 – Administrator

Hello, I am glad that you enjoyed your time at SMGI and received our great training program. As of 2015 we no longer do door to door sales and offer a base salary. Thank you for your review!

A Company that holds true to their Mission Statement!

Current Employee - Administrator for Corporation in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Administrator for Corporation in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at SMGI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SMGI is a company that guides their employees to grow to their full potential, plus some. This is a company that provides guidance, feedback and support when needed. It is gratifying to work for a company that is built, ran and supported from Hard work, Integrity, Values, Dignity and Respect for others. "To SERVE the needs of our clients THROUGH a structure that BENEFITS the desires of our employees while EMPOWERING them to become GREAT."

Cons

I have nothing negative to comment on about SMGI.

Jun 1, 2015 – Administrator

Thank you for your review! I am glad you are enjoying your time here at SMGI. Keep up the good work!

HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at SMGI

Pros

Being in the city is a pro, I guess.

Cons

As a well educated recent college graduate Albert in the NY office sold it as if it were an opportunity to really excel in the world of marketing. Was promised to be "hosting exclusive events in NYC high rises" and "room for advancement with a quick path to director level" By events in high rises he actually meant hauling a tent and table around the city on public transportation to stand in lobbies and try to sell cable to tenants. Maybe it just wasn't for me, but what was advertised throughout interview process was not at all what I got. The job is pretty much a door to door salesman selling cable and bothering people at home with flyers and knocking on doors.

Advice to Management

Be honest in the interview process and don't waste an applicant's time.

SMGI

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camden, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camden, NJ

I have been working at SMGI

Pros

I have been working for SMGI for some time now and I must say that in my short working history this is by far, one of the best places I have ever worked. There is so much room for growth and advancement it is impossible not to be successful. I would recommend us to anyone that is looking to be a part of a growing, successful, team oriented company!

Cons

I can't say that I have come across any Cons for working here.

May 27, 2015 – Administrator

Thank you for your great review. I am glad you are enjoying your employment at SMGI. Also we do take referrals from our employees! Thanks again.

Meh

Former Employee - Sales in Conshohocken, PA
    Former Employee - Sales in Conshohocken, PA

I worked at SMGI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun business environment with plenty of growth opprotunities available.

Cons

Interview process led me to believe one thing when I got a completely different thing. I can see how this company could work for some. As far as money goes (which, let's be honest, is the most important thing) it was very hard to tell what salary was going to look like. Verizon Fios door to door mostly. Lots of walking and long hours outside in temperatures.

11. Entry level with room for growth.

Current Employee - H R Recruiter in Conshohocken, PA
    Current Employee - H R Recruiter in Conshohocken, PA

I have been working at SMGI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are well experienced and knowledgeable about the business. Supervisor possess excellent teaching skills when it comes to training about the company and all of the different aspects.

Cons

Have been here less than a month have yet to see anything negative.

Mar 30, 2015 – Administrator

Thank you for your review and also welcome to SMGI!

RSS Feed </> Embed