SMS Reviews

• Buffalo Grove, IL
Dave Danzig

1. Best job to learn how to sell

Former Employee - Business Coordinator in Buffalo Grove, IL

I worked at SMS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

being able to change the mindset of a business owner is a heck of a feat to accomplish, but once you do...you can sell anybody

Cons

none...not really..best job I ever ad and will help me in my future career path

Advice to Management

just keep doing what you are doing...2 thumbs up

SMS/GPS/ISI/Global Resorce/IPA Sales,SAM, and BC positions are bogus!!!

Current Employee - Inside Sales/Business Coordinator in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales/Business Coordinator in Buffalo Grove, IL

I have been working at SMS full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The only pro listed above is really a con. They do everything they can to work with people and keep people because the salary, commission, and bonus structure are BS! I am a real salesman and have been in sales for over a decade.
    (I wouldn't still be doing it if I wasn't successful)

Cons

In any job where I made a sale, I got paid. NOT HERE FOLKS!! Your salary in every position is dependent on what they guy involved in the process after you does. If he fails you don't get paid. Let me break it down for you. The idea is to get a consulting project for the company. It starts with a Business Coordinator doing some appointment setting for a sales rep. IF he gets an appointment (and the leads are absolutely terrible/ wrong names, wrong addresses, out of business, income incompatible; 65% of the companies leads in its decade old database are no good) the sales rep that goes to the appointment MUST convince the client he needs an Analyst for you to get your commission!!! Once the sales rep/ SAM sells it (if he does) He doesn't get paid unless the Analyst he sends in after he leaves collects an analysis fee (which the client has an option not to pay, given to him in writing) Also even if the client is convinces he needs an Analysts, the company has way less Analysts than reps so they may not even send the Analyst, thus no pay for the rep. If the Analysts is successful in convincing the client he needs consulting, the Analysts doesn't get paid until the consulting fees are collected! SO IN A NUT SHELL, YOU CAN BE THE VERY BEST AT YOUR JOB AND NEVER MAKE A CENT!! I was an INSIDE sales rep which is the same as an outside one in pay structure but i did my sales over the phone. I made quite a few Analysts appointments in my short time in that department but they didn't send out an Analyst even once!! (in my opinion, due to work place politics: If your not in bed with the management, your last on the list) So I moved to the Business Coordinator department to do appointment setting. Even with horrible leads I managed to begin the upper 50% of my department in performance from day one in the department. I was only there for 3 weeks and generated 50 SOLID leads for the reps. The clients I had told me everything about their companies and my reps knew exactly what they needed to do. Out of 50 leads generated only 2 resulted in an Analyst being sent and only 1 fee collected. Long Story short: AFTER 10 YEARS AS A SUCCESSFUL SALESMAN, I WAS REDUCED TO MINIMUM WAGE!! I stayed with SMS (and their list of alias names) for 3 months and never saw more than $320 for a weeks work!! When I put in my 2 weeks notice, I was told not to worry about two weeks and to just take it as time off (unpaid of course) so I was essentially fired. Luckily I had another job with a former employer in less than an hour. I quit on a Monday and was supposes to have received a paycheck the prior Friday!! Its been several days since payday and nobody knows where my paycheck is........they get real butt hurt if you quit, so if your stuck at SMS, I suggest you quit right after receiving your paycheck and pray they send the ones still owed to you in the mail.

Advice to Management

If I were John Burgess (the owner) I would start fixing my tarnished lead database. (it isn't hard to do) If those 65%
    of bad leads i mentioned were fixed it would raise sales by 65%. AND I WOULD FIGURE OUT A WAY TO PAY EMPLOYEES FOR THEIR OWN PERFORMANCE AND NOT FOR THE PERFORMANCE OF OTHERS!!

Terrible Company

Former Employee - Business Coordinator in Buffalo Grove, IL

I worked at SMS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

None....the pay is a LIE. you will never make commission

Cons

Almost all employees have several felonies and it's the only place they can get a job. Management is completely screwed up and disrespectful. They teach you to sell lies and you don't have set hours, you cannot leave until you meet your goal unless you want to be fired. They even have security in the main room because employees get crazy and they have to break up fights. Look them up on google before you consider...all they're about is scamming people out of their money

A very business like and professional atmosphere, results oriented.

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Buffalo Grove, IL

I worked at SMS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Sales bonuses.good atmosphere, competitive, sporting tickets, free dinners and cash as bonuses. The organization has a good model and structure, and is aggressive in pursuing new clients. Inside sales has warm leads, already visited by outside sales representatives.

Cons

Repetitive, phone calls all day many clients to contact across U.S. and Canada.

a very disorganized, frantic sales floor.

Former Employee - Business Consultant in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Business Consultant in Buffalo Grove, IL

I worked at SMS full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There is opportunity to make money here

Cons

what they tell you is that there is high turn over and you have to survive on minimum wage until prove your sales skills, this could take months to occur.

Advice to Management

they should offer a better training ramp up income.

Company culture reflects concern for its client, its employees and the community

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Executive in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Executive in Buffalo Grove, IL

I have been working at SMS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are opportunities for advancement within the company; potential for excellent income for those who work hard consistently; the company provides regular and highly motivating recognition for achievement.

Cons

Very little variation in the day to day activities.

Advice to Management

A fitness room would provide fun, healthy breaks for employees who spend most of the day seated in front of a computer.

Great place if you are willing to work hard-make a great living!

Current Employee - Hiring Manager in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Hiring Manager in Buffalo Grove, IL

I have been working at SMS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you enjoy helping companies and helping people and have a great work ethic, the money will certainly follow. SMS has provided me a great opportunity for 20 years.

Cons

Long hours, far from home

Earn what you are worth

Current Employee - Senior Hiring Manager in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Hiring Manager in Buffalo Grove, IL

I have been working at SMS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Earn what you are worth.... Daily training.... Always growth to move up!

Cons

High volume of phone calls

Great place to start a rewarding career!

Current Employee - Senior Area Manager in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Area Manager in Buffalo Grove, IL

I have been working at SMS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities for advancement, team environment, offer qualify service, good bonuses and incentives, effective training

Cons

High health insurance cost, some overtime

A family-orientated company

Current Employee - Recruiter in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Buffalo Grove, IL

I have been working at SMS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No evenings or weekends.
    It's a place where people can start a new career, to get back on their feet with the recession that we are in.
    Very family-friendly atmosphere
    This company gives the the opportunity to do what I've dreamed of doing.
    Selling something that is beneficial to business owners.

Cons

Some people don't put 100% into their position.
    Some employees take extended and/or multiple allotted breaks.
    More team work.

Advice to Management

More scheduled meetings

SMS Photos