SMS Management & Technology

Updated October 5, 2014

Tom Stianos

38 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Information & Data Management Consultant

Current Employee - IDM Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - IDM Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at SMS Management & Technology full-time

Pros

Interesting projects and people to work with, good skills enhancing options.

Cons

Shine projects do not get monitored properly, which makes management believe that all its good when in fact there are things to be done to help our fix.

Monitor projects more closely.
    Change to a service mindset rather than a bum on a seat.

Be prepared to go it alone and you'll thrive.

Former Employee - Practice Lead in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Practice Lead in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at SMS Management & Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, great clients, and a huge amount of autonomy (if you're prepared to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.)

If you're confident, resourceful and assertive, then anything is possible.

Cons

Can be bureaucratic. Great at "steady as she goes", but no spirit of entrepreneurship within the Executive group.

You won't get spoon-fed. If you behave like just another resource, that's how you'll be treated.

Many of the best people have left, stifled by the "bums on seats" mentality and general lack of imagination at the top level.

Show some balls and go beyond the "safe". The "value-added resourcing" business is getting squeezed.

Great People, Good training, OK Salary

Current Employee - Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at SMS Management & Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great networking experiences, good opportunities to work in various areas, good support for training and certifications, great people to work with.

Cons

Strategic challenges moving out of resource augmentation mindset. Salaries are not particularly competitive, the bonus structure is unattainable so don't bank on it.

The perception within the organization and the perception in the market unfortunately are at odds with where we want to go strategically.

Former consultant

I worked at SMS Management & Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good exposure to banking and major telcos in Australia

Cons

The main reason for joining SMS was to avoid risk of being an independent contractor, however given the shift in the market and new policies anyone who is on the bench will quickly be fired

‘Strategy’: A lot of chat about how it is a strategy firm not a bodyshop, but not a reality for a 95% of consultants. Clients perception is as a more expensive way of recruiting contractors, not a go to for fixed price pieces of work, and as such are squeezing rates. Account managers are so desperate for sales that they will lower prices / offer consultants for free for a number of weeks.
    Pay: Don’t expect payrises to keep up with CPI, and bonuses, if they are offered, are a joke
    HR: Consistent lack of communication / understanding between management and HR policies (extended leave etc). This lead to major issues for me and resulted in threats to bring the company to the ombudsman to get appropriate notice paid.
    Training and development: Some in-house training is available, however quality is questionable, will also make you come in on a Saturday, or refuse to allow you to attend if you are on an engagement.

Recognise what you are good at - body shopping - and stand by that.

Eliminate the flat structure if you have not already done so, its a nonsense with range of experience from grad to program directors.

Lots of bad and a little bit of good

I worked at SMS Management & Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some crazy talented people (hit or miss), some really interesting projects (hit or miss). Great networking opportunities, colleagues were very accommodating and always willing to sit down for a coffee and a bit of a chat no matter what the subject. Some aspects of the culture were really great and I enjoyed them immensly. I also enjoyed mentoring the grads coming in, and most of the events (that Senior Management didn't organize) were stellar.

Cons

The senior management has the company on cruise control - every year for the yearly results and the goals for next year are always "Make more money, get more clients". There is absolutely no innovation happening here - it is just a body shop. If I had to use a single word to describe the senior management and the company outlook I would use "Stagnating".

I have another bone to pick and that is salary. According to the internal salary graph I was being paid the same as a graduate student and I have 10 years of experience. This is the graph that HR compiled.

The company recruits heavily in the UK. They then use this advantage of sponsorship and the ignorance of the Brits to under-pay them. I know 3 Brits with a very similar level of experience (one of them the same skill set, other two different but higher paid skill-set) are getting paid 30-40k less than I was at the time. This is disgraceful and shameful. The HR department is a joke.

Senior management and HR are known to be vindictive when anyone says anything bad about them. I suffered through this. My 3 Brit mates suffered through it. Some of the grads I mentored suffered through this.

Fix the above. Stop underpaying expats. Bring salaries in line with the rest of the market or provide actual proof that the salaries are market competitive (stop using the "data is sensitive" excuse to hide this from SMS-ers). Come up with an actual plan to move the company forward and don't just cruise.

Confused business strategy resulting in difficult resource augmentation perception in the market

I worked at SMS Management & Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Reasonably collegiate environment. Some salary packaging. Slightly less political and more work life balance than international consultancies (something less than 2 pounds of flesh)..

Cons

Somewhat cliquish. Clients do not consider the company to be a legitimate consulting company (i.e. resource augmentation) and lack economies of size/scale and therefore difficult to obtain high-level outcome-based engagements for large enterprises. Limited or no tangible knowledge management processes, system or culture. BYOD laptop.Varying personnel standards. Culture of mediocrity in parts.

Clarity on market positioning and willingness to invest in bona fide intellectual property and associated cultural initiatives.

Below average in most ways

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at SMS Management & Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-The consulting staff are fantastic. Really a great bunch of people to work with.
    -work-life balance is great. Well above the average than for most consulting companies.
    -Plenty of opportunities to add to your skills and learn- but this will be on your own time and effort. Company will ABSOLUTELY NOT reserve you for professional growth at the expense of you billing.
    -generally less kissing up to sales managers required to get ahead than other consulting companies.

Cons

-Managers are skilled, but almost solely focussed on sales.
    -Wide variance in regards to career development between offices
    -Salaries/compensation is at the very low end of market.
    -Sole focus on sales.
    -Little professional development, although they are getting better at this.
    -No mentorship/guidance to staff.
    -Difficult to make vertical moves. However, lateral moves are generally easier than competitors.
    -Success will depend on positioning yourself appropriately within the company

Focus less on sales and more on your people.

Desperation (and heavy Bodyshopping) is setting in

Current Employee - Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at SMS Management & Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Opportunity to work with some big clients (but not necessarily the role you want)
    - Pay is not great, but generally higher than tier 1 consultancies

Cons

- Company is on a downward spiral, with strategic fixed price projects pretty much non-existent and a massive push to keep the bench down, bodyshopping consultants for whatever they can be billed for
    - Roles are mainly lone wolf roles "fighting for scraps" left behind by the tier one's
    - Underhanded dismissals are rife, with many management ranks being ousted in the last year. If you're on the bench with low utilization, you are a target.
    - Practice structure has been abandoned in the focus to clear bench numbers.
    - Investing in people mentality has been replaced with expendable consultant approach.

Management changes "on the fly" are being noticed by consultants and they are leaving in drones. Try to be more strategic in your thinking.

Interesting colleagues

Former Employee - Project Manager in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at SMS Management & Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent compensation (despite bad bonus structure), wide variety of interesting projects

Cons

Internally is bureaucratic to get anything done

Great opportunity for Consultants wanting to gain experience with Melbourne's largest organisations.

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

Pros

I Joined as a Consultant in 2012, from a larger global consultancy. I have been pleased with the variety of engagements I have worked on over this time and the development programs that have been in place.
    At SMS I have worked with many experienced Consultants and have always felt part of a team.

Cons

Internal intranet and content management systems could be improved - ease of use and ability to find information.