SMS Management & Technology Reviews

Updated February 19, 2015
49 reviews filtered by

Confused business strategy resulting in difficult resource augmentation perception in the market

I worked at SMS Management & Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Reasonably collegiate environment. Some salary packaging. Slightly less political and more work life balance than international consultancies (something less than 2 pounds of flesh)..

Cons

Somewhat cliquish. Clients do not consider the company to be a legitimate consulting company (i.e. resource augmentation) and lack economies of size/scale and therefore difficult to obtain high-level outcome-based engagements for large enterprises. Limited or no tangible knowledge management processes, system or culture. BYOD laptop.Varying personnel standards. Culture of mediocrity in parts.

Clarity on market positioning and willingness to invest in bona fide intellectual property and associated cultural initiatives.

Lots of bad and a little bit of good

I worked at SMS Management & Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some crazy talented people (hit or miss), some really interesting projects (hit or miss). Great networking opportunities, colleagues were very accommodating and always willing to sit down for a coffee and a bit of a chat no matter what the subject. Some aspects of the culture were really great and I enjoyed them immensly. I also enjoyed mentoring the grads coming in, and most of the events (that Senior Management didn't organize) were stellar.

Cons

The senior management has the company on cruise control - every year for the yearly results and the goals for next year are always "Make more money, get more clients". There is absolutely no innovation happening here - it is just a body shop. If I had to use a single word to describe the senior management and the company outlook I would use "Stagnating".

I have another bone to pick and that is salary. According to the internal salary graph I was being paid the same as a graduate student and I have 10 years of experience. This is the graph that HR compiled.

The company recruits heavily in the UK. They then use this advantage of sponsorship and the ignorance of the Brits to under-pay them. I know 3 Brits with a very similar level of experience (one of them the same skill set, other two different but higher paid skill-set) are getting paid 30-40k less than I was at the time. This is disgraceful and shameful. The HR department is a joke.

Senior management and HR are known to be vindictive when anyone says anything bad about them. I suffered through this. My 3 Brit mates suffered through it. Some of the grads I mentored suffered through this.

Fix the above. Stop underpaying expats. Bring salaries in line with the rest of the market or provide actual proof that the salaries are market competitive (stop using the "data is sensitive" excuse to hide this from SMS-ers). Come up with an actual plan to move the company forward and don't just cruise.

Below average in most ways

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at SMS Management & Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-The consulting staff are fantastic. Really a great bunch of people to work with.
    -work-life balance is great. Well above the average than for most consulting companies.
    -Plenty of opportunities to add to your skills and learn- but this will be on your own time and effort. Company will ABSOLUTELY NOT reserve you for professional growth at the expense of you billing.
    -generally less kissing up to sales managers required to get ahead than other consulting companies.

Cons

-Managers are skilled, but almost solely focussed on sales.
    -Wide variance in regards to career development between offices
    -Salaries/compensation is at the very low end of market.
    -Sole focus on sales.
    -Little professional development, although they are getting better at this.
    -No mentorship/guidance to staff.
    -Difficult to make vertical moves. However, lateral moves are generally easier than competitors.
    -Success will depend on positioning yourself appropriately within the company

Focus less on sales and more on your people.

Desperation (and heavy Bodyshopping) is setting in

Current Employee - Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at SMS Management & Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Opportunity to work with some big clients (but not necessarily the role you want)
    - Pay is not great, but generally higher than tier 1 consultancies

Cons

- Company is on a downward spiral, with strategic fixed price projects pretty much non-existent and a massive push to keep the bench down, bodyshopping consultants for whatever they can be billed for
    - Roles are mainly lone wolf roles "fighting for scraps" left behind by the tier one's
    - Underhanded dismissals are rife, with many management ranks being ousted in the last year. If you're on the bench with low utilization, you are a target.
    - Practice structure has been abandoned in the focus to clear bench numbers.
    - Investing in people mentality has been replaced with expendable consultant approach.

Management changes "on the fly" are being noticed by consultants and they are leaving in drones. Try to be more strategic in your thinking.

6. Interesting colleagues

Former Employee - Project Manager in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at SMS Management & Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent compensation (despite bad bonus structure), wide variety of interesting projects

Cons

Internally is bureaucratic to get anything done

.. It could have be much better

Former Employee - Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at SMS Management & Technology full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Variety of Tier One clients, Diversity of projects and engagements through various industries, Skillsets of Consultants, Resource sharing

Cons

Bodyshopping style of Consulting, Repetitive clients, Taking on new Graduates to cut costs, Being designated to random projects, Size of the Bench, Budget cuts overall (and for Christmas parties), Failure with international hubs, Always sending people out to clients in the sticks. A Tier Two Consulting firm at best, overall.

Get to know your Consultants better, rather than having them know you. Give the new Consultants a chance to get out there and deliver. Hire for the right season, and not promise projects you cannot win or deliver.

Great opportunity for Consultants wanting to gain experience with Melbourne's largest organisations.

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at SMS Management & Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I Joined as a Consultant in 2012, from a larger global consultancy. I have been pleased with the variety of engagements I have worked on over this time and the development programs that have been in place.
    At SMS I have worked with many experienced Consultants and have always felt part of a team.

Cons

Internal intranet and content management systems could be improved - ease of use and ability to find information.

An employer that understands it's people are its value.

I have been working at SMS Management & Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

After working for a previous employer who proved to be very removed from their values, I can happy say that SMS and its values are one in the same.

As a company, they understand that their people are there biggest asset and promote a good work life balance.

SMS’s flat structure and its supportive culture ensure that all staff are treated equally. It is not unusual to find my self bumping into the CEO in the elevator and enjoying a chat.

I am a true believer that you get out what you put in. With that in mind, SMS will provide you with countless opportunities and experiences to enhance your career.

Don’t get me wrong, as with all companies there will always be politics and nuances that not everyone will agree with. However in comparison to my previous employers I find that these are very far and in-between at SMS.

If you are willing to put time and effort into your career, want the opportunities for career progression without the politics and games, I can highly recommend SMS.

Cons

Whilst I personally don't see this is a negative, as I stated above, you get out what you put in.

Great people, but your career is what you make it

I have been working at SMS Management & Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Great people
    - Opportunity to work in various industries and roles
    - Excellent networking opportunities

Cons

- No clear career progression, must be VERY proactive and driven, which is not for everyone.
    - Accept that you are there to make the company money
    - Often unclear business direction
    - Utilisation more of a priority

Plenty of opportunity but lacking direction

Current Employee - Consultant in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at SMS Management & Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with, flat operating culture, opportunity to get involved with some large projects within high profile organisations.

Cons

Fragmented approach to conducting business, with no cohesive direction or plan across business units and practices.