SMS

Updated January 21, 2015
Updated January 21, 2015
2.8

Dave Danzig

Pros
  • Selling something that is beneficial to business owners (in 3 reviews)

• A six-figure annual salary is actually possible, from the start, with payment on sales plus bonuses and residuals (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • 100 commission, it's just you, no one else out on a limb (in 3 reviews)

• Oh yes i forgot to mention this is a 100% commission job (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Good for sales experience/compensation

Former Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Chicago, IL

I worked at SMS

Pros

Leading-edge sales processes --good place to learn & earn

Cons

Lack of communication on some issues

Keep providing people opportunity--reward hard work in other words don't change!

Technician

I worked at SMS

Pros

Friendly environment for working, good in working group

Cons

Salary too low, 1 year or more to raise salary

no comment

Best job to learn how to sell

Former Employee - Business Coordinator in Buffalo Grove, IL

I worked at SMS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

being able to change the mindset of a business owner is a heck of a feat to accomplish, but once you do...you can sell anybody

Cons

none...not really..best job I ever ad and will help me in my future career path

just keep doing what you are doing...2 thumbs up

Desktop Support Technician

I have been working at SMS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I got a job right out of college with this company. It is a great place to start and they offer assistance with gaining certifications to further your career.

Cons

Because all of there jobs are contracts mostly with the government, I have only seen my SMS manager 3 times in 2 years. There does not seem like much room to move up in the company unless you get the certifications they are looking for.

May be worth your time but extremely unlikely

Former Employee - Senior Area Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Area Manager

I worked at SMS full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The potential on paper to make decent money is there. The system is intended to motivate and provide support. The commission scale is high. Too bad the product, reputation, and follow through of the company negates pretty much everything.

Cons

Sales people are heavily over promised on lead quality and quality. My first danger signs were at training when a group of about 30 of us were told maybe one would still be around in 60 days. I actually made it longer than that and confirmed I was the only one still around. Inside callers set you up with "leads" for you to follow up with and pitch the service. I was given five leads a day. At least 3 would tell me they told the guy on the phone they didn't want to talk to anyone. The rest were often empty places, places where no one had heard of us, people had heard of us before the company changed the name and didn't want anything to do with us, or had already had one of our reps through and had already had expressed no interest. Every few days I would actually get a open minded prospect willing to listen and expecting me to show up. Extremely heavy pressure to close on the spot and convince business owners to let in a consultant to look over their operation for a set fee, satisfaction guaranteed. The consultant then followed up with an evaluation looking for deficiencies or opportunities for the business owner. My pay was entirely based off of successfully setting up that first consultation with a fee I assigned. That consultant then did the evaluation and collected the fee. Unless it was like the 50% of the time where the business owner did not like the consultant or what they said. Then there was no obligation to pay and I received $0 for all my effort. After losing several commissions that way I ended up spending more on gas running around then I ended up bring in for commission the majority of weeks. I was assigned a few mentors to help and found that they made most of their money by travelling a week at a time to remote or small market locations where this type of service was less common, the pitch was novel, and no one had heard of the many unsatisfied customer experiences. It's hard enough to convince a business owner to let someone in to look at and critique what they do but the whole system comes across like a hard sell cold call with very questionable authenticity. On top of that we were expected to bring in 50 leads a week from cold calling other businesses in the field. I don't have a problem with that but I do have a problem with being told explicitly that is not part of the job during the hiring process and then it becoming part of the job once you start.

The strategy is to train large numbers of sales people and throw them out and just see if anyone succeeds. Their is no risk on their side because pay is determined only on income and all contacts you make are turned over to inside sales reps after you make a visit. You are 100% expendable. If they want to really change their reputation in the office and in the market they need to switch to investing and supporting a qualified people and supporting them with professional consultants to back up the pitch. Focus on quality to improve reputation in the field and customer approach.

Competitive nurturing environment

I have been working at SMS

Pros

Every manager has helped mold and push me to be more productive. The encouragement is great, I don't see that in many other sales organizations. Love the competitiveness, yet all the top people are willing to guide you.

Cons

Attitudes of the poor performers

Get non productive people out quicker

Follow your instincts, don't take this position

Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at SMS full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I thought the training was very strong just based on pure sales value. It was not an accurate portrayal of what lay ahead.

Cons

The appointment setter (BC) was a joke!!!!! 85-90% of my appointments were not appointments at all, they weren't even qualified leads. I had leads that were given to me as confirmed within past 24 hours, upon arriving found out my POC was on vacation and had been all week, or in one case was out of the country for past month and of course could not have confirmed appointment. It is all a bunch of lies and misleading sales company. It is always the SAM's (Senior Area Manager) fault. Deceptive company.

Get some decent BC's and maybe you could keep some SAM's that have some integrity.

Poor associates who make my appointments

Current Employee - Senior Area Manager in Sellersville, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Area Manager in Sellersville, PA

I have been working at SMS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

able to work in the home territory

Cons

Over 1400 employees no one in management is on the same page.

they need better management they work with associates over the phone only.

Senior Area Manager

Current Employee - Senior Area Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Area Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at SMS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

None that come to mind. Unlimited income, if you can convince 6 business owners a week to take up a survey of their business to be told what they are doing wrong. And then actually have them pay for it, which is out of your control.

Cons

Lousy leads-not appointments as promised. Everything is SAM's fault, from bad leads to clients canceling when they read about the lousy product provided on the internet

Follow in the steps of George S. May and shut down.

Terrible Company

Former Employee - Business Coordinator in Buffalo Grove, IL

I worked at SMS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

None....the pay is a LIE. you will never make commission

Cons

Almost all employees have several felonies and it's the only place they can get a job. Management is completely screwed up and disrespectful. They teach you to sell lies and you don't have set hours, you cannot leave until you meet your goal unless you want to be fired. They even have security in the main room because employees get crazy and they have to break up fights. Look them up on google before you consider...all they're about is scamming people out of their money

SMS Photos