SMS Reviews

Updated April 10, 2015
64 reviews filtered by
2.3
Dave Danzig

Pros
  • Selling something that is beneficial to business owners (in 3 reviews)

• A six-figure annual salary is actually possible, from the start, with payment on sales plus bonuses and residuals (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • 100 commission, it's just you, no one else out on a limb (in 3 reviews)

• Oh yes i forgot to mention this is a 100% commission job (in 2 reviews)

1. Pier agent

Current Employee - Pier Agent in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Pier Agent in Miami, FL

I have been working at SMS (Less than a year)

Pros

You never get bored as you work in a cruise line environment with different cruise lines and different people every day

Cons

Very little pay for the responsibilities we have at check in stage.

Advice to Management

Please try to select people who look more professional and are more professional at interview stage and pay us better for what we do.

2. Steel Mill Burner

I worked at SMS

Pros

Initial knowledge not needed to begin

Cons

Terrible hours and schedule leaves no personal life

Advice to Management

Better communication

Senior Area Manger

I worked at SMS part-time

Pros

Huge commission. Very good field support and training. The consulting really works for some clients, but they really have to buy into the program.

Cons

Be extremely thorough in your research of this company. The odds of success are very, very low. You will spend a lot of your money in fuel. It benefits the company to have you out there for free marketing. The company has a questionable reputation with its market. A lot of the reps agree that, for whatever reason, the company acts very shady. The telemarketing and inside sales department really hurt the outside sales activity. Myself and other reps have commented on clients literally being enraged at the telemarketing department because of rudeness and the they impose pressure on setting "appointments". They are not "meetings or appointments" they are more "confrontations" than anything. Winning the "sit" is only the beginning. My challenge was all of the hurdles needed to overcome just to get the client to listen to you, and after all that work, 3 out of my four sales fell through. Also very, very, very slow commission pay out. I could go on but just really check this out before you jump in.

Advice to Management

Its all about the company. As friendly as the people I worked with are, Its about the Burgesses. You should be really concerned about the perception that the market has about you as a company. I could have made a living on the people who made comments like " I wouldn't by the goose that laid the golden eggs from you people". That hurts you and the people who work for you.You should change that.

5. Inside sales rep

Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at SMS

Pros

Garaunteed job. They hire anyone. Free lunch during training. Garaunteed $300 a week.

Cons

Everything else about it bogis leads the bc floor is high school and isr floor ... Hell with cubicles . Everyone is stressed out from the job and on edge . Bc have to park at other building and walk to work office . Comission forget about it . But if you want to sit for 8 hours harassing people with a rude team around you in a cramped office this is the job for you.

Advice to Management

Use your analysts on your own business.

A most dishonest bunch

Former Employee - Senior Area Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Area Manager

I worked at SMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have to say their training program was very good but it went all downhill from there.

Cons

They promise qualified leads and yet more of the places i went to said that they told the telemarketer Not to send anyone.

Advice to Management

There is no advise that can un-spoil a rotten apple.

Senior Area Manager

I have been working at SMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We not only change businesses but we change owners lives and their families lives in turn.
    Lucrative compensation.

Cons

At times it takes weeks to find a fitting business coordinator, so you can maximize your earning potential.

Advice to Management

Continue to care about those who care about you and the company. Most managers are really trying to help you. But you want to have to be helped and go all in on this one.

Awful experience, poorly managed company, abusive staff, and a fraud!

Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at SMS

Pros

Well, they do have a business license.

Cons

Everything about SMS is a con simply because they are con artists!

Advice to Management

Close the company down and go out of business!

SMS/GPS/ISI/Global Resorce/IPA Sales,SAM, and BC positions are bogus!!!

Current Employee - Inside Sales/Business Coordinator in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales/Business Coordinator in Buffalo Grove, IL

I have been working at SMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro listed above is really a con. They do everything they can to work with people and keep people because the salary, commission, and bonus structure are BS! I am a real salesman and have been in sales for over a decade.
    (I wouldn't still be doing it if I wasn't successful)

Cons

In any job where I made a sale, I got paid. NOT HERE FOLKS!! Your salary in every position is dependent on what they guy involved in the process after you does. If he fails you don't get paid. Let me break it down for you. The idea is to get a consulting project for the company. It starts with a Business Coordinator doing some appointment setting for a sales rep. IF he gets an appointment (and the leads are absolutely terrible/ wrong names, wrong addresses, out of business, income incompatible; 65% of the companies leads in its decade old database are no good) the sales rep that goes to the appointment MUST convince the client he needs an Analyst for you to get your commission!!! Once the sales rep/ SAM sells it (if he does) He doesn't get paid unless the Analyst he sends in after he leaves collects an analysis fee (which the client has an option not to pay, given to him in writing) Also even if the client is convinces he needs an Analysts, the company has way less Analysts than reps so they may not even send the Analyst, thus no pay for the rep. If the Analysts is successful in convincing the client he needs consulting, the Analysts doesn't get paid until the consulting fees are collected! SO IN A NUT SHELL, YOU CAN BE THE VERY BEST AT YOUR JOB AND NEVER MAKE A CENT!! I was an INSIDE sales rep which is the same as an outside one in pay structure but i did my sales over the phone. I made quite a few Analysts appointments in my short time in that department but they didn't send out an Analyst even once!! (in my opinion, due to work place politics: If your not in bed with the management, your last on the list) So I moved to the Business Coordinator department to do appointment setting. Even with horrible leads I managed to begin the upper 50% of my department in performance from day one in the department. I was only there for 3 weeks and generated 50 SOLID leads for the reps. The clients I had told me everything about their companies and my reps knew exactly what they needed to do. Out of 50 leads generated only 2 resulted in an Analyst being sent and only 1 fee collected. Long Story short: AFTER 10 YEARS AS A SUCCESSFUL SALESMAN, I WAS REDUCED TO MINIMUM WAGE!! I stayed with SMS (and their list of alias names) for 3 months and never saw more than $320 for a weeks work!! When I put in my 2 weeks notice, I was told not to worry about two weeks and to just take it as time off (unpaid of course) so I was essentially fired. Luckily I had another job with a former employer in less than an hour. I quit on a Monday and was supposes to have received a paycheck the prior Friday!! Its been several days since payday and nobody knows where my paycheck is........they get real butt hurt if you quit, so if your stuck at SMS, I suggest you quit right after receiving your paycheck and pray they send the ones still owed to you in the mail.

Advice to Management

If I were John Burgess (the owner) I would start fixing my tarnished lead database. (it isn't hard to do) If those 65%
    of bad leads i mentioned were fixed it would raise sales by 65%. AND I WOULD FIGURE OUT A WAY TO PAY EMPLOYEES FOR THEIR OWN PERFORMANCE AND NOT FOR THE PERFORMANCE OF OTHERS!!

Liars

Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at SMS

Pros

Nothing. At least I can say I've been to Chicago now.

Cons

Every "lead" they send you has been called many times before. They send you on appointments that do not exist. They lie to their prospects, they lie to you, they even lie to each other in the home office. If you don't mind being lied to and being instructed to lie to prospects, then by all means, jump right in and apply.

Advice to Management

Close the doors. Honest, upstanding people do not do business this way.

Avoid this sinking ship at all costs.

Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at SMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- You'll learn how to sell...aggressively.

- SOME of the experienced senior staff (based in IL) are competent.

Cons

- You are a con-artist. This isn't necessarily your fault, but the actual product that SMS sells -- its business consultation -- is a joke. Not only will they not explain their process to you, the employee, but the testimonials they do offer are all shaky at best. If you want the real story, just search for the CEO, BBB ratings, and OTHER client testimonies.

- Incredibly high work demand, often ignoring work-life balance completely. Nowhere near enough compensation for travel, especially given the amount of leads that are DOA.

- The 100% commission wouldn't be bad if: 1. Your commission wasn't based on a "satisfaction or your money back" product, and 2. Your closing rates were better. Most businesses don't want the services of SMS because they don't really offer much.

- The company still has a bad rep, and there are plenty of leads who know about it. SMS assumes that the businesses it wants to work with won't know about what they do...SMBs are not PREY.

Advice to Management

I don't know. This company is far past the point of assistance. I'd advise you to cut your losses and buy your nice private island while you can.

SMS Photos