SNAP Interactive
www.snap-interactive.com New York, NY 16 to 50 Employees

SNAP Interactive Reviews

Updated Mar 3, 2014

Cliff Lerner

Balance b/t startup and corporate env.

I have been working at SNAP Interactive

Pros- SNAP is neither a wild west startup environment or a highly structured corporate env. It's somewhere in between. One one hand, SNAP has that nimble startup environment with a lot of room for input from everyone at the company. We move quickly, pushing code 20-50 times a day. On the other hand, it has KPIs that we work towards and a plan to monetize on them, rather than just building fun stuff for its own sake. We have a set start time, so it's not the kind of place where people stroll in at noon.
- The data driven decision making process replaces office politics with hard data. If the new hire's idea performs better in tests than the exec's idea, then the new hire's idea wins.
- Great colleagues. Most of the people I hang out with socially are people from SNAP
- Good compensation and perks
- Focus on learning (tech talks, book clubs, training stipend)

Cons- SNAP pivots quickly, so it's not a good environment for anyone who likes to follow a rigid process or is uncomfortable changing plans frequently. People coming out of big companies often have a hard time making the transition. It's not for everyone.
- We have company goals, but those have not yet translated into team goals.

Great environment

I have been working at SNAP Interactive full-time for more than a year

ProsReally cool perks and people are collaborative and friendly.
It is encouraged to participate in any project the company is working on and to speak your mind.

Cons9:30am to 6:30pm working hours which is really late to start the day.
Too many weekly mandatory meetings can be overwhelming when you are busy trying to meet a hard-deadline.

“Be prepared to learn. A lot!”

I have been working at SNAP Interactive

Pros- The culture here places a large emphasis on learning and collaboration. You are empowered to become an expert in field and that company supports you in that effort by offering a $2,000 training stipend to take courses that will help you learn, contribute, and grow.

- The people that work here are incredibly smart and friendly. It has been a pleasure to get to know them. Everyone here has interesting opinions and the platforms to voice those opinions which is unlike anything I've seen at other companies. Imagine tossing around ideas with the CEO on a weekly basis. It happens here and that is pretty cool.

- The company is lean and agile, which makes it easy to pivot. And that happens a lot here. We make dozens of product changes every day based on the immense amount of data we have available. Data drives all decisions made which provides a simple, focused approach for all employees.

- There are tons of other perks such as weekly massages, ping pong, video games, happy hours, discounted gym membership, and innovation hours.

ConsThe work-life balance leaves something to be desired. The company is filled with very passionate and dedicated people -- many work late and many work on weekends.

Management has always made it clear that you can be as involved as you want, although I do believe that people less committed to going that extra mile will see that reflected in the opportunities available for them here.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise upper management to take more risks. As I mentioned, the company is very data driven but I think there have been opportunities to step outside of that and make great things happen, that have been hindered by the company's analytical approach.

Exciting, innovative and collaborative!

I have been working at SNAP Interactive full-time for less than a year

ProsIt’s a great culture that encourages EVERYONE to add value to the product and company direction. SNAP does a great job at recognizing/ incentivizing hard work and ‘out of the box’ thinking.

ConsYou should be comfortable communicating with different teams; it’s a highly collaborative culture, so introverts be ready!

An Honest Review, For a Change

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SNAP Interactive full-time

Pros- They give you free snacks and sodas and bring in bagels on Friday
- Playing video games and ping pong actually happens during work hours and is ok
- Some of the people who work there are great
- Benefits and compensation are decent

Cons- CEO does not believe you are working unless he sees you at your desk. Required work hours are from 9:30-6:30pm but you are encouraged to be there more.
- Direction and vision are seriously lacking. This is not a company that is leading the charge, it's just trying to keep up with the bigger players and the new guys and wondering why no one is putting it on the cover of Wired.
- Very high turnover rate
- Not a very friendly environment for non-developers or anyone in the tech minority
- Very few opportunities for advancement

(If all those other reviews seem too good to be true, it's because they are. If I were writing a 5-star review of my company, I wouldn't do it anonymously. I only write this one anonymously because if Snap is good at anything, it's being litigious.)

Not held at gunpoint to say this - LOVE WORKING HERE.

I have been working at SNAP Interactive full-time for less than a year

Pros- Inclusive, friendly work environment
- Approachable and genuinely nice executives
- Camaraderie between coworkers (who are all bright and good at what they do)
- Fun perks: ping pong table, console games, free snacks and drinks
- Company sponsored outings
- Monthly Hackathons to inspire innovation and teamwork
- Weekly and daily company check-ins
- Celebration of achievements and constructive conversations about weaknesses
- Cool office space in a great location (easy commute)
- Accountability and trust - if used properly, there is a good work/life balance

ConsThis applies more to the tech industry as a whole, but it would be great to see more female developers.

Advice to Senior ManagementI read all of the reviews on here during my interview process, and I could hardly believe that all this positive feedback could be true... but it is.

An open environment focused on learning and fostering participation at all levels.

I have been working at SNAP Interactive full-time

Pros- whip-smart colleagues help you expand your knowledge
- developer focused culture
- supportive of participation in open source projects
- good benefits including $2000 training stipend, 401k matching, free massages, hackathons

Cons- no large space for hosting events
- free snacks could be healthier. It's mostly chips and candy, but we did just start getting dried edamame and dried fruit.

Learn from The Best by Working with The Best!

I have been working at SNAP Interactive full-time for less than a year

ProsTrue "open door" policy where cross-team interactions are encouraged and embraced with "open arms" by everyone in the company. A day never goes by without learning something new OR being able to teach others (As "Knowledge is Power", SNAP certainly hires the smartest and most talented individuals in their perspective areas of expertise...and THAT itself is part of the recipe in making SNAP the "Powerhouse" it is).

ConsThere just aren't enough hours in the day to learn all that is available at your asking (no fault of SNAP's).

Advice to Senior ManagementA more regular "State of the Union Address" would be helpful regarding various team projects and efforts to more easily wrap employees' minds around the "Big Data" collected which will in return spur additional creative ideas and discussions.

Imaginative and inviting environment that encourages learning and creativity.

I have been working at SNAP Interactive full-time for less than a year

Pros-Great co-workers
-Awesome environment
-Ability to learn, and available stipends to take classes
-Encouraged to work your way up
-Amazing benefits
-Great location!

ConsI can't think of any.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you're doing.

A great place to work and play

I have been working at SNAP Interactive full-time

ProsSome of the smartest people you'll ever meet collaborating in a warm and vibrant environment. Great benefits and perks like massages, knick tickets, ping pong, wii, free snacks and drinks etc. A family-like atmosphere b/c the company values personality and culture fit as much as skill during the interview process.

ConsWith growth comes organizational challenges and sometimes there are too many meetings and it's tough for everyone to maintain the same voice. But management is proactive and receptive and these things keep improving.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up and continuing being open to change and progress.

Worked for SNAP Interactive? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SNAP Interactive reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SNAP Interactive CEO Cliff Lerner. All 38 reviews posted anonymously by SNAP Interactive employees.