SNAP Interactive

Updated October 30, 2014
Updated October 30, 2014
4.4

Cliff Lerner

Balance b/t startup and corporate env.

I have been working at SNAP Interactive

Pros

- SNAP is neither a wild west startup environment or a highly structured corporate env. It's somewhere in between. One one hand, SNAP has that nimble startup environment with a lot of room for input from everyone at the company. We move quickly, pushing code 20-50 times a day. On the other hand, it has KPIs that we work towards and a plan to monetize on them, rather than just building fun stuff for its own sake. We have a set start time, so it's not the kind of place where people stroll in at noon.
    - The data driven decision making process replaces office politics with hard data. If the new hire's idea performs better in tests than the exec's idea, then the new hire's idea wins.
    - Great colleagues. Most of the people I hang out with socially are people from SNAP
    - Good compensation and perks
    - Focus on learning (tech talks, book clubs, training stipend)

Cons

- SNAP pivots quickly, so it's not a good environment for anyone who likes to follow a rigid process or is uncomfortable changing plans frequently. People coming out of big companies often have a hard time making the transition. It's not for everyone.
    - We have company goals, but those have not yet translated into team goals.

Staff is great - management needs work

I worked at SNAP Interactive

Pros

Smart people - good camaraderie outside of work
    Great benefits
    Snacks / booze in the office

Cons

No long-term direction
    Recent downsizing
    Mismanaged potential

Get to know your employees and work with them

Great years ago but unfortunately no longer so

Former Employee - Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Developer in New York, NY

I worked at SNAP Interactive full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Getting to work with other very tech savvy individuals and great perks.

Cons

Company is publicly traded but still acts like a start-up trying to find its way.

Leadership needs to be more open to discussion rather than creating a dictatorship environment (decisions and directions change on a daily basis ... concentrate on the long-term, as was done years ago)

Great environment

I have been working at SNAP Interactive full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really cool perks and people are collaborative and friendly.
    It is encouraged to participate in any project the company is working on and to speak your mind.

Cons

9:30am to 6:30pm working hours which is really late to start the day.
    Too many weekly mandatory meetings can be overwhelming when you are busy trying to meet a hard-deadline.

“Be prepared to learn. A lot!”

I have been working at SNAP Interactive

Pros

- The culture here places a large emphasis on learning and collaboration. You are empowered to become an expert in field and that company supports you in that effort by offering a $2,000 training stipend to take courses that will help you learn, contribute, and grow.

- The people that work here are incredibly smart and friendly. It has been a pleasure to get to know them. Everyone here has interesting opinions and the platforms to voice those opinions which is unlike anything I've seen at other companies. Imagine tossing around ideas with the CEO on a weekly basis. It happens here and that is pretty cool.

- The company is lean and agile, which makes it easy to pivot. And that happens a lot here. We make dozens of product changes every day based on the immense amount of data we have available. Data drives all decisions made which provides a simple, focused approach for all employees.

- There are tons of other perks such as weekly massages, ping pong, video games, happy hours, discounted gym membership, and innovation hours.

Cons

The work-life balance leaves something to be desired. The company is filled with very passionate and dedicated people -- many work late and many work on weekends.

Management has always made it clear that you can be as involved as you want, although I do believe that people less committed to going that extra mile will see that reflected in the opportunities available for them here.

I would advise upper management to take more risks. As I mentioned, the company is very data driven but I think there have been opportunities to step outside of that and make great things happen, that have been hindered by the company's analytical approach.

Exciting, innovative and collaborative!

I have been working at SNAP Interactive full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It’s a great culture that encourages EVERYONE to add value to the product and company direction. SNAP does a great job at recognizing/ incentivizing hard work and ‘out of the box’ thinking.

Cons

You should be comfortable communicating with different teams; it’s a highly collaborative culture, so introverts be ready!

An Honest Review, For a Change

I worked at SNAP Interactive full-time

Pros

- They give you free snacks and sodas and bring in bagels on Friday
    - Playing video games and ping pong actually happens during work hours and is ok
    - Some of the people who work there are great
    - Benefits and compensation are decent

Cons

- CEO does not believe you are working unless he sees you at your desk. Required work hours are from 9:30-6:30pm but you are encouraged to be there more.
    - Direction and vision are seriously lacking. This is not a company that is leading the charge, it's just trying to keep up with the bigger players and the new guys and wondering why no one is putting it on the cover of Wired.
    - Very high turnover rate
    - Not a very friendly environment for non-developers or anyone in the tech minority
    - Very few opportunities for advancement

(If all those other reviews seem too good to be true, it's because they are. If I were writing a 5-star review of my company, I wouldn't do it anonymously. I only write this one anonymously because if Snap is good at anything, it's being litigious.)

Not held at gunpoint to say this - LOVE WORKING HERE.

I have been working at SNAP Interactive full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Inclusive, friendly work environment
    - Approachable and genuinely nice executives
    - Camaraderie between coworkers (who are all bright and good at what they do)
    - Fun perks: ping pong table, console games, free snacks and drinks
    - Company sponsored outings
    - Monthly Hackathons to inspire innovation and teamwork
    - Weekly and daily company check-ins
    - Celebration of achievements and constructive conversations about weaknesses
    - Cool office space in a great location (easy commute)
    - Accountability and trust - if used properly, there is a good work/life balance

Cons

This applies more to the tech industry as a whole, but it would be great to see more female developers.

I read all of the reviews on here during my interview process, and I could hardly believe that all this positive feedback could be true... but it is.

An open environment focused on learning and fostering participation at all levels.

I have been working at SNAP Interactive full-time

Pros

- whip-smart colleagues help you expand your knowledge
    - developer focused culture
    - supportive of participation in open source projects
    - good benefits including $2000 training stipend, 401k matching, free massages, hackathons

Cons

- no large space for hosting events
    - free snacks could be healthier. It's mostly chips and candy, but we did just start getting dried edamame and dried fruit.

Learn from The Best by Working with The Best!

I have been working at SNAP Interactive full-time (less than an year)

Pros

True "open door" policy where cross-team interactions are encouraged and embraced with "open arms" by everyone in the company. A day never goes by without learning something new OR being able to teach others (As "Knowledge is Power", SNAP certainly hires the smartest and most talented individuals in their perspective areas of expertise...and THAT itself is part of the recipe in making SNAP the "Powerhouse" it is).

Cons

There just aren't enough hours in the day to learn all that is available at your asking (no fault of SNAP's).

A more regular "State of the Union Address" would be helpful regarding various team projects and efforts to more easily wrap employees' minds around the "Big Data" collected which will in return spur additional creative ideas and discussions.