SNC-Lavalin

Be The First To
Add Photos

SNC-Lavalin CEO Bob Card

Bob Card

Pros:
  • "Lots of opportunities to learn by getting involved in projects at the ground level"
    in 7 reviews
  • "They never messed up my paycheck and they have a good benefits package"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management turns over frequently and hires/promotes friends"
    in 6 reviews
  • "No work-life balance especially in finance"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Positive environment for all employees

Assistant Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsPositive environment for all employees. work environment

ConsPositive environment for all employees. culture

Advice to Senior Managementupward management

Typical large engineering firm

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMany opportunities to work on different kinds of engineering projects in US and overseas. Good co-workers.

ConsConflict prone management on big projects. Micro-management by managers to control contact with clients which inevitably led to incorrect relay of information and delays in project completion. Management always reluctant to train entry-level engineers. Too much finger pointing when things went wrong.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease offer training for employees to keep their skills updated. Do more employee reviews instead of one annual evaluation.

A good company to work for.

Accounting (Former Employee)
    Bothell, WA

ProsDecent pay, good benefits, fun people.

ConsOvertime expectations, lack of support sometimes.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It could be better!

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsFlexible work hours; ESOP program is great; 401K package is mediocre; PM+ is a very nice tool for managing a project

ConsCommaraderie is lacking; management is very, very slow to correct problems; need to threaten to leave to get fairly compensated; compensation is not comensurate with contributions; one can be incompetent and still get raises; will not provide new desktop computer unless yours breaks - we have some antiques around here.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed a better personnel review procedure. In other words, why does SNC tolerate (and reward) people that are either incompetent or are not doing their jobs?

Great place to work and grow the company into the #1 EPC/Cm in the world

Project Controls Manager (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

Prosflex schedule
    4 day work week (4-10's)
    Oil and gas
    No parking garage and not in Downtown or on the West side. More central location.
    Pay is great.
    In house project management system.

Conssmaller company, less recognized in the Houston area
    Bechtel, Fluor, KBR and Jacobs are all more well known in the US, therefore tend to have an easier time to get work.
    SNCL bought out a small local operation and made that their Houston office. This was evident in the lack of continuity and corporate culture that is aligned with Montreal or Calgary (World HQ).
    Not much interaction with World HQ personnel.

Advice to Senior Managementhave a more robust long range plan

It is being good experience. Still learning EPCM contracts managing.

Contracts Administrator (Current Employee)
    Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

ProsGood work environment. Opportunity to work in abroad assignments. Good work-life balance.

ConsBig company structure, cant move fast enough to improve performance among competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on employees carriers.

Good place to gain experience.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
    Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsVery forward thinking top management, good strategy and definitely working at full steam to get past the recent events.

ConsLittle support for the programs, communication within departments is practically non-existant. There is so much bureaucracy, and changing methodology that result in a good portion of your time filling out paperwork, not delivering work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease check on the middle and lower echelons! It has become a model of inefficacy!

Good Projects, Questionable Salaries & Performance Management Benchmarking

ProsGood for career development. Stable work and benefits. Work isn't overly challenging.

ConsMaternity leave could be better. The performance management system is basically a joke no one takes seriously.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet serious about an effective performance management system that allows those keen on top performance to attain above average results and find a way to measure performance in an un-bias manner. If I'll get the same salary for taking a 3 hr lunch everyday as I would for meaningfully adding to the company then there's some fat that needs trimming. It also leaves management blind to where real talent is and who's pulling their weight.

Expect to wait a long time to get paid if you are a consultant

Consultant (Former Employee)
    Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsLavalin has a large number of good professionals who work hard, and in the professional area, appear to respect consultants and staff. Still a lot of opportunities to work for them, despite blacklisting. They do interesting, high-quality work.

ConsConsultants working for them may have a problem because in some cases Lavalin appears to ignore contract payment terms to small suppliers. If a contract says payment within 30 days of receipt of an invoice - and nothing more - most of us would expect, having delivered the service professionally acknowledged to be of good quality, to be paid within 30 days. In past years this was the case. I have seen recently, however, in at least one case that they simply appear to ignore this, and pay whenever they feel like it - 45 days, 60 days, or whenever they themselves get paid for their own contract. I thought this might just be a case of individuals not paying attention to contract terms, but other consultants have told me the same thing, and I wish I had known this before I agreed to a contract with them.

There is not much you can do about this if you are a small supplier - because it appears not to matter what is in the contract. So look at the contract, but be aware that their obligations to pay you within a specified period may not be honored.

Advice to Senior ManagementApply the same ethical considerations you are using with other institutions to your relations with suppliers. If your intention is not to pay them in 30 days, but in 60 days, then rewrite your contract templates - or - and really this should not need to be pointed out - honor your contract obligations.

Good experience

Manager (Current Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros1 Earned Day off almost every month!

ConsRevolving door-too many staff changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on building people to gain loyalty1

Worked for SNC-Lavalin? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SNC-Lavalin reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SNC-Lavalin CEO Bob Card. All 165 reviews posted anonymously by SNC-Lavalin employees.