SNL Financial

Updated December 14, 2014
3.2

SNL Financial President & CEO Mike Chinn
Mike Chinn

Pros
  • It's a casual work environment and most people legitimately enjoy their day (in 17 reviews)

• Employees also have great work life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is somehow suffered which now-a-days is a major concern for Gen Y (in 7 reviews)

• There is only middle management in Arlington that reports to senior management elsewhere (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to intern in New Product Development as company making lots of acquisitions

Former Employee - New Product Development in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - New Product Development in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at SNL Financial as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Great training from senior associate who was my manager. Helped me get up to speed quickly in auditing for metals and mining data sets
    -Over 9 months I got the experience I was looking for in becoming more literate in financial statements
    -I earned my manager's trust early on which allowed me to become more efficient in my work
    -Lots of work to be done in NPD given that company is making many acquisitions in a variety of industries

Cons

-As an intern I had a very specialized role, but I would have preferred to get some experience in meetings and discussing business development with senior executives as I had done in other internships
    -Sometimes a lack of interaction between employees...mainly the nature of the work as it is very data intensive and involves many virtual meetings with teams overseas
    -If you're right out of college, may not be the best place to have a large group of work friends

The firm is moving in a great direction with all of the acquisitions which means lots of work to be done. I think the culture could be improved more though by having more people in fewer offices allowing more interaction among employees compared with virtual meetings. This may be an objective going forward as the firm's PE ownership looks at how to integrate in all of the new acquisitions. While the business model does well utilizing analysts out of India and Pakistan, there are not a ton of opportunities for entry-level analysts in the US.

OK place

I have been working at SNL Financial full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice folks around
    Very laid back and casual work environment
    Good work life balance

Cons

Not very exciting technologies to work on
    Developers don't part take in bringing creative ideas to the product
    You basically work on the same stuff over and over again

Decent for Cville

Current Employee - Pro
    Current Employee - Pro

I have been working at SNL Financial full-time

Pros

The people are for the most part really great to work with. It's a casual work environment and most people legitimately enjoy their day. The problems are interesting to work on. It doesn't pay incredibly but for Charlottesville it pays well.

Cons

Too long hours expected for the pay, juvenille locker-room style behavior from mid-level to upper management, benefits are atrocious and a joke, not a clear path for advancement.

You're too big to micro-manage so stop trying, your benefits are laughably suitable only for a 21 year old single male, you're focusing so much on speed of delivering that you're dropping quality and burning out good employees. You constantly run your budget on a head-count deficit so when an employee is on vacation or leave or quits you're completely screwed and everything hits the fan.

Welcome to the Grinder

Current Employee - Afraid to Mention in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Afraid to Mention in New York, NY

I have been working at SNL Financial full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you get in with the right crowd, you can get advancement. Make sure you learn who the pets are and under no circumstance upset them. You'll be good to go at that point.

Cons

Honestly, all my pro comments were just sarcasm. This place is high school all over again. Except if you get on the wrong side of a manger, they'll do more than send you to the principles office.

change. get completely fresh blood at the top. the CEO and senior management have been there way too long and it's time for new blood.

Low starting salary, no clear path for advancement

Former Employee - Research Associate in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at SNL Financial full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a decent work environment...I guess. If by "decent" you mean "not horrible."

Cons

Advancement is difficult to see, upper-management appears to be quite complacent making for few opportunities. The company appears to be the type taking in large numbers of (low paid) junior employees, not really training them, then letting them drift off into other companies. Has gotten MUCH worse since SNL was acquired by a hedge fun. Beware.

The structure of the company needs a complete overhaul.

Super stable business model with reliable growth; challenges employees while offering plenty of opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at SNL Financial full-time

Pros

Compensation is weighted toward bonus, with fair salaries and strong total compensation. Benefits are good.
    Co-workers are bright and motivated, are there is no shortage of opportunities -- for those willing to step up and grab them.

Cons

The pace is fast and there's very little external training that prepares one for a career at SNL, aside from general competence. You must learn on the job and learn quickly, or you will be left behind.

Continue to invest in the future, building infrastructure that scales. Would love to see the business model - and particularly the unique value that only SNL has the guts and resolve to build at the highest quality - expanded to more industries and geographies.

Great place to grow

I have been working at SNL Financial full-time

Pros

Great coworkers and atmosphere where you are encouraged to learn and grow

Cons

Long hours, much expected out of you

Invest in incentives for other employees other than sales

Smart, Professional People. Great work life balance.

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at SNL Financial full-time (more than an year)

Pros

High performers get rewarded for their work with great bonuses.
    Your contribution is what counts, not your background or pedigree.
    Hours are flexible as long as you get your work done.
    Dress is casual.
    People, especially leadership, are friendly and supportive.

Cons

Career growth path or track is often unclear.
    On boarding process lacks structure.
    The projects are often not very interesting.

Share a career development or growth plan with employees as part of the on boarding process.

Terrible place for journalists

Former Employee - Reporter in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Reporter in Washington, DC

I worked at SNL Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people to work with, management attempts to make it a fun atmosphere. Matching 401K.

Cons

Low pay. They lure you with the prospect of a quarterly bonus based on metric they don't explain. The system benefits those who game it, rather than those who try. Plus, managers can decide without giving warning or reason not to give you a bonus at all.

They also require weekend work. Promotions don't come unless someone leaves the company.

When they realized I had been their long enough to make decent pay, they tried to push me out by making me sign a form requiring me to meet expectations they admitted were unreasonable. They did this because they wanted me gone so that they could underpay someone new.

You can't quantify quality journalism. News value isn't an algorithm. A more open approach to employee assessments or company goals would be more effective.

Tough to be a contributor

I worked at SNL Financial full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Growing company, PE owned, headquartered in a wonderful city.

Cons

Leadership is not creative and extremely risk averse. Very strange performance evaluation process. Overall, the company puts process over substance.

Bring in some visionary and effective leaders.

SNL Financial Photos