SOSi Reviews

Updated April 8, 2015
39 reviews filtered by
2.5
Julian Setian

A lot of responsibility, but little working corporate infrastructure, processes and procedures to support you.

Former Employee - Capture Manager in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Capture Manager in Reston, VA

I worked at SOSi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Corporate mindset: SOSi believes it can compete in any field, and the executive leadership pushes you to think outside of your comfort zone.

Benefits: Solid medical plan, reasonable cost. Immediate vesting of assets contributed to the 401K plan, though the match is on the low side (but reasonable for the company size).

Work/Life Balance: Reasonable expectation of working from home or on weekends only when truly required, i.e. the final week of a proposal submittal.

Cons

Corporate mindset: The company believes they can compete with any competitor on any pursuit (if you write it and cost it well, you will make the competitive range and get to pre-award surveys) in any of the GovCon industry sectors, regardless of relevant experience and past performance.

BD Strategy: The company mindset mentioned above leads to throwing BD resources at many opportunities with very low P-Wins. SOSi tends towards quantity of opportunities, both active and pipeline, rather than selective targeting of the right opportunities. While some of this is explainable due to the company's desire to diversify away from its core offerings of language services, strategic communications, and intel/law enforcement training and analysis, it plays hell with staff morale as you end up spending considerable effort with no meaningful chance of reward.

Corporate Infrastructure, Processes and Procedures (to support BD/proposals): Lacking.
    1. Cost Estimating-No relatively standard cost estimating templates exist-a new one is conjured up from thin air seemingly with every new pursuit. It would be helpful, and conserve precious time on the proposal countdown clock, if templates were available for program staff/SMEs to use immediately upon RFP release. Such standardization would also contribute to the development of a corporate cost estimating system, which leads to more truth and less embellishment during the proposal build.

2. Safety & Quality Assurance/Control: Each pursuit ends up with its own unique version of a safety and quality plan. Great, but having no approved corporate safety and quality plan to draw from hinders the process as well, and increases the amount of time spent on such things.

Advice to Management

Don't chase every pursuit that walks through the door; take the time to invest in the resources needed at the corporate level to act as enablers to the BD and operations teams. Have a strategy and stick to it; some recent successes due more from luck than any sort of deliberate planning and implementation actions.

2. As an intern, I had the opportunity to strengthen my job skills and learn the day-to-day tasks of a marketing analyst.

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Reston, VA

I worked at SOSi

Pros

While interning for SOSi, I believe firmly in their leadership as an organization. I never once felt like I couldn't go and talk to my co-workers or to my boss with any questions I had on any task. As an intern, the pay was more than I had seen at any other company in the DC/VA area. I was involved with all marketing tasks starting on my first day, which led to the unparalleled "corporate job" experience I could only have attained at SOSi. SOSi is an exceptional company that expects their employees to deliver their best work each day. SOSi is a perfect match for any employee with drive, motivation and a strong work ethic.

Cons

While interning for SOSi, I did not encounter any "cons" for any aspects of the company.

Advice to Management

I believe the management at SOSi has a phenomenal outlook on personal growth within the company. The Human Resource department creates events outside of work to maintain a cohesive work environment, while allowing employees to get to know each other better. As an intern, I was able to witness the management on all levels interacting with all employees which allows for everyone to feel as if they are a team player. Personally, I learned various leadership skills from the management at SOSi.

3. Challenge Accepted -- SOSi Company Motto

I have been working at SOSi

Pros

SOSi International is a great company to work in if you enjoy challenging opportunities and thrive in a fast pace, complex, business environment. Great leadership and wonderful co-workers -- everyone pulls their weight and works together as a team.

Cons

The defense contracting business is tough right now so expect to work hard if you come here.

Proposal Coordinator

Former Employee - Proposal Coordinator in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Proposal Coordinator in Reston, VA

I worked at SOSi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company made me realize money is not the reason to take a job and helped me be pickier when choosing my next job.

The general staff is a pleasure to work with and very hard working

Cons

Where to begin...

1.) Most people in upper management are military men with little to no respect for the staff they manage
    2.) Everyone person is considered easily replaceable
    3.) We go after bids we have NO shot at winning and LIE about our capabilities in said proposals
    4.) Managers micromanage and have no real concept of putting together a winning proposal. Their way is the right way and nobody else has an opinion
    5.) When we lose proposals we are told it is because of price but find out later it is because of compliance issues, yet nobody is held accountable. Pricing meetings are attended by VPs who just throw out random numbers they feel are adequate for the positions
    6.) Staff turnover throughout the entire company is incredibly high
    7.) We lie on proposals and to team members what our actual employee number is as well as what our revenue for the company is
    8.) Upper management throws lower staff members under the bus for mistakes made instead of taking accountability for their work
    9.) Never produced a winning proposal in the 6 months I worked there
    10.) When we did self evaluations we were told a 3 means you're doing a great job, 4 means you're out of this world and 5 means you're sleeping with the boss. Found out later every manager reduced the ratings because we didn't have a budget to give out raises or cost of living increases
    11.) Upper management will do whatever the CEO wants because if they are not YES MEN they will be fired.
    12.) During exit interviews the company will ask leaving staff to write a nice review because the CEO checks Glassdoor every day, half of the good reviews on this website are written by current staff trying to fill vacancies.

Advice to Management

The disorganization in BD is a constant problem. There needs to be someone in charge. Managers should be in the office when proposals are being submitted. Don't promote people because they have been here a long time. People should get promoted because they deserve it. There is a serious time management issue. Going after everything hurts team morale because we were exhausted and not winning anything. After working insane hours being told we would only get a raise if we were sleeping with the boss was an insult and quite frankly a slap in the face.

...a living testament to the inevitable triumph of good over evil" *barf*

I have been working at SOSi

Pros

The traumatic experiences of working in a hostile office environment creates unparalleled camaraderie among working staff. I also learned how to navigate and prioritize the dozens of hurdles I face on a daily basis due to lack of direction, resources, motivation, and good pay.

Cons

Non-managerial staff is smart, skilled, patient, under-appreciated and more likely than not underpaid while managers continue to fumble everything at the expense of everyone with little to no repercussions.

Entire departments have been experiencing near 100% voluntary turnover after being told they are replaceable and have no path for career development or growth within the company.

CEO manages to offend all 3 major religions and the world at-large in one fell swoop via poorly crafted and offensive emails. Below is a snippet of the poetic prose bestowed upon us by our great leader Julian:

"Throughout history, people of all faiths have been persecuted for their beliefs, but today, Christians are struggling beyond belief. Just a few days ago, 147 Christians in Kenya were gunned down in cold blood for nothing other than their faith. In the melee between Jews and Muslims in the Middle East, Christians have been permanently exiled from across Mesopotamia and Palestine in record numbers over the past 30 years. The situation for non-Western Christians has perhaps never been grimmer. As we enjoy the time with our families today, let us hope and pray for the survival and triumph of those Christians over the powers of darkness… few people in the world today need our prayers more."

"As I stand today as an American, a privilege afforded me out of that incredible act of brutality and evil, I am a living testament to the inevitable triumph of good over evil."

Wise words from a CEO with no business sense, common sense, or an MBA. This coming from a company that prides itself on having 25 years of experience in over 30 countries. You'd think the CEO would have some clue about cultural sensitives.

The company headquarters is in the financial district in Manhattan, yet the operational headquarters is in Reston, VA.
    Why pay for expensive prime real estate in the heart of the financial district when you are a government contractor? You're not a financial institution. Use that money to invest in your staff and resources.

Advice to Management

- Invest in leadership training and resources for your staff
    - Create measurable and realistic goals coupled with a sound strategic plan.
    - Invest in creating a positive work environment with actual changes. Events can only mask the dissatisfaction only for so long.
    -Treat your staff respectfully and with the same dignity you expect to receive from people getting paid pennies on the dollar for what they are worth.

Remember, you can't spell FAILURE without U

Just Like Family

I worked at SOSi

Pros

This is a privately held company that is family owned and operated. That's a disclaimer, not a pro. You love your family but you probably can't stand them for the majority of the time.

The work here is very interesting and there are opportunities to expand and excel. Benefits are great and... ok, that's really all there is.

Cons

If it's so great to work here, why is the C-suite in NY? This disconnect between the CEO and the headquarters makes it pretty easy to understand why there's no investment in the culture here. Turnover's pretty high and there's a big emphasis on bringing in experienced people (and then not letting them use their experience and micromanaging everything).

There's an air of negativity that may stem from one lost proposal after another, constantly seeing coworkers leave, or having work/ideas stifled.

Advice to Management

Trust your senior leadership and invest in your people, not just their salaries.

Great people, poor upper management

I have been working at SOSi

Pros

Compensation and benefits are adequate. Fellow associates and middle management are diligent and competent.

Cons

Complete disorganization. No policies or procedures for federal contract requirements. There are very few who understand FAR/DFAR regulations. Even fewer have be subjected to a federal audit.

Advice to Management

Allow those with government contract experience to excel without constant micro management.

Meh

I have been working at SOSi full-time

Pros

Being immediately vested with a 4% 401(k) match.

Cons

People leave every week and those who stay are stifled by upper management.

Advice to Management

Go public, get a board to regulate the CEO.

Vice President

I worked at SOSi

Pros

One thing only: I was able to get a Top Secret government clearance.

Cons

The owner's son [CEO] is a micro-manager, unable to accept guidance and not a people person. Family owned firm that is anything but . . .

Advice to Management

Hire experienced senior managers and then listen to them while allowing them to implement what they know, understand and have experienced. Allow for considerably less involvement by the CEO. Extract the CEO out of day to day business and operations. Remove the CEO's claws from the [potentially] good work that everyone else does on his behalf. Try to get past the industry wide perception of why the firm is not doing well; create a Board of Directors who can manage and control the CEO.

11. SOSi is a unique company that provides entrepreneurial minded employees with opportunities to do meaningful work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at SOSi full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

SOSi is privately held, and the leadership genuinely cares about the business and the employees who are committed to making it successful. It's a lot of work, and there are times where some of the challenges we face seem like they are impossible to tackle, but that is balanced with competitive compensation, a rich benefits plan, immediate 401k vesting and matching, as well as a more robust Paid Time Off plan than our competitors. The culture is fast-paced, and rapidly changing, which is exciting for people who thrive in those types of environments.

Cons

SOSi sometimes gets a bad rap from former employees who didn't like our fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment. The expectations are high, but the leadership never asks anyone to do something they don't or wouldn't do themselves.

Advice to Management

Keep on the track that has made SOSi the company it is today.

SOSi Photos