SOTI Reviews

Updated August 30, 2014
Updated August 30, 2014
3.2

Carl Rodrigues

Good, very perspective company with product vision

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at SOTI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excelent team and good working conditions

Cons

Sometimes development process is overcontrolled and overcomplicated in many areas of development

Take a step back to understand who brings value to your product

Great steppingstone

I have been working at SOTI

Pros

Lots of teams, lots of talent in the company

Cons

Not enough compensation for the hours owrked

A company driving itself into the ground.

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at SOTI full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Networking for a new job and No accountability. There is a lot of milk and cream for your coffee in the fridge.

Cons

Employees are leaving faster than they can hire. (Approx 4-6 a week). In a recent announcement the CEO clearly stated he will never sell, he will never ask for VC funding or ever go public. In the same announcement he introduced employee stocks. If you want money, I guess that's where you go to get it. Ask your employees.

If SOTI is accelerating down, the CEO just jumped on the gas pedal.

If there is any chance of SOTI staying afloat... Sell while you can get a little money before you put all those people out of a job.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This company has not changed. Run!

I worked at SOTI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have nothing positive to report about working here.

Cons

Lack of direction and organization. Complete chaos internally with no real management structure, no job role definitions, metrics, etc. All titles are powerless unless you are the owner of the company. No ability to execute perceived job role due to lack of support internally and needing to work with equally disgruntled employees.

Your employees are trying to make the company better. Listen to them.

Good company for ambitious people

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer  in  Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at SOTI full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company allows ambitious people to build a career: lots of opportunities for any level of employees. Each employee on any level always has the chance to demonstrate their skills and strengths; as the company grows quickly that gives opportunities for the most skilled, experienced, talented, and capable to be promoted into leadership positions.
    Management always listens to employees and accepts feedback.

Cons

cause of quick growth, the company doesn't always have enough resources for all needs and as a result available employees sometimes need to do a bit more than is in the list of their direct responsibilities.
    From the other side, it gives opportunity to achieve more and make career difference. That is definitely a concern for those lazy guys who expect to slack half of the day and get their salary.

Nevertheless to grow quickly, the company’s management should work more on introducing and polishing proper development process. I need to admit, company does work on this, but progress is slower than what is needed

Management lacks basic integrity and intelligence.

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer  in  Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at SOTI full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed working with quite a few individuals from Development and QA team. These connections were very enriching both from professional and personal views. They were good friends, empathetic and helpful professionals. I still stay in touch with them.

Cons

Management in Engineering is dishonest, manipulative and incompetent. Most managers in Engineering have no technical background, no understanding of how software engineers work or challenges they face. Many managers I knew came from Sales or Marketing or Customer Service or Business Analysis. None of them was hands on developer in the past. This made communication difficult and frustrating. Apart from being incompetent from technical and project management views many lack human skills and elementary decency. Their goal is to whip out maximum productivity out of you often coercing you into working lots of overtime (without pay or any other form of compensation). To achieve this they use dishonest tricks such as comparing apples to chairs and lying through their teeth. For example they may compare you to another developer and say that the other guy fixed 150 bugs in the last three months as opposed to you fixing "only" 42 bugs for the same period. However these outlandish claims are bold-faced lie. Simple check in MS Team Foundation Server shows that the other guy fixed 32!! bugs (not 150: five-fold difference with what was claimed) and the only thing that the other guy did was bug fixing, whereas you at the same time developed product features and did major code refactorings.
    All this despicable conduct is getting approving nod from CEO who is driven by pure greed and race for cheap labor and lavish profits. Once he emailed our Team Lead demanding that he "Please, make sure your guys work hard 24/7. This project MUST be done by Monday." Try to question this draconian "project management" and you will immediately face vindictive backlash and become a pariah. The witch hunt starts with petty reprimands without merit, arranging "performance improvement" reviews that amount to nothing else but bullying and castigating accompanied by cliche characterizations of your personality such as "lazy", "unproductive", "defensive", "difficult individual" etc. They may arrogantly admonish you to "seek feedback and listen instead of defending incorrect behaviour". They may play God with you and tell you outright to "become a better person".

Many managers habitually use sarcasm to slight your work and humiliate you in front of your team. I once struggled with one development challenge (a product feature on a Blackberry device that did not work correctly on some Blackberry versions) and, after putting lots of extra hours of my personal time to research, troubleshoot and fix the problem, I reported the task as complete in our daily scrum meeting next morning. Our manager clapped his hands with a sarcastic smirk in response. He expected me to complete this task much faster, in a matter of a few hours. As I mentioned earlier he, himself, never solved any technical problem or wrote a single line of code in his life so, no wonder that he shows this boneheaded attitude to the hard-working developers.

Do not dare to take vacations longer than the meagre two weeks that allotted to you per annum. They become paranoid about you seeking another job while still keeping this as a safety net. They may check your hard-drive or look for any incriminating clues about you in the internet, such as recent updates to your Linkedin profile or, just google your name to see if anything turns up that may reinforce their suspicions of foul play on your part.

CEO is emotionally unstable. One day he plays Prince Charming pretending to be everyone's friend. Next day he may be in trance struggling with a bout of depression. Third day his mood is grumpy, irritable and you never know what may set him off.
    On my first day in the company I toured the office with my manager to get introduced to my fellow team members. When we walked into his office he did not bother to get up from his luxury leather chair to shake my hand and greet me with
    saying something nice like "Welcome aboard" as accustomed in the usual office etiquette. Instead he barely looked at me and got engrossed back into his computer screen with his facial expression cold and aloof like a stone. I guess my visit fell on one of his challenging days.

My hope is that this company will change hands and decent humans will be finally at the helm.

Great Atmosphere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at SOTI full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Sales team with an incredible leader. Support and development are always willing to help and work together. Many talented individuals who work wonderfully as a team. Fun and dynamic atmosphere with growth opportunities. We are given the freedom to learn and grow in ways that are unheard of in almost any other company.

Cons

There are many policy changes that aren't always communicated that are hard to keep up with. Travel could favour the employee (preferred airlines, hotels, etc) better.

Keep investing your time and resources into the talent from within.

Run...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at SOTI full-time for more than a year

Pros

Not much to say here, except maybe convenient proximity to highway, large grocery store across the street which comes by handy for any lunch or snack, large shopping mall within 10 minutes of driving. I like the office building - it's new and spacious with huge parking lot.

Cons

This employer abuses Temporary Foreign Worker Program. He displaces Canadian employees with foreign citizens. This is mainly affecting Engineering department (i.e QA and Development). Stress is boiling over the top and compensation packages and working conditions degrade year by year. Not a good place to sustain your professional growth. Instead you will have to deal with burnout and frustration. See other posts for similar remarks.

The management is too arrogant to take advice from anyone.

Unethical Behavior

I have been working at SOTI full-time

Pros

The People and i'm not talking about Hire Management. The best undervalued team in the industry. The fact that SOTI is the steppingstone to a better career opportunity makes it a plus to work for this company.

Cons

Leadership, Lack of Vision, Unethical treatment of Employees and most importantly the disorganization of the the entire company. Not to forget the below industry standard compensation that they offer to Highly Skilled immigrants and local talent.

No Advice as they have no authority to take decisions. It's in the owners hands, even the little details that could be delegated through them would still have to be approved by him. This organization will remain behind the big boys in the industry.

One of the best places I worked at

Current Employee - New Business Account Manager  in  Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - New Business Account Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at SOTI full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love working for SOTI. Everyday is a different day, Everybody grows on you.
    Its not just walking into a office and doing a 9-5 and go home, to me its like my second home and I love it.
    Its more like a family in the office. Everybody gets on with each other and they make you feel welcome.
    I would never leave this place. I love the challenges that I get set and as I'm working from the UK office I feel that I know everybody at head office. If you want a chance to improve your career by working hard at SOTI I know they recognise your talent. I have a laugh with everybody in the UK office and the Canadian Office and its such a happy environment.

Cons

The Cons I would say is more pay needed for the amount of work you do but i guess that's what everybody would say about there company. Not one bad CON at all.

Doing more out side work as a team

Worked for SOTI? Contribute to the Community!