SOTI

3.4

Carl Rodrigues

Amazing Company

I have been working at SOTI

Pros

Laid back work environment. Flexible work hours. Come and go anytime you wish. Long lunch break. Near highway and large kitchen. Work and life balance. Latest technology. Easy to get promoted. Competitive salary package.

Cons

Everything was great except some people should be laid off or fired.

A company driving itself into the ground.

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at SOTI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Networking for a new job and No accountability. There is a lot of milk and cream for your coffee in the fridge.

Cons

Employees are leaving faster than they can hire. (Approx 4-6 a week). In a recent announcement the CEO clearly stated he will never sell, he will never ask for VC funding or ever go public. In the same announcement he introduced employee stocks. If you want money, I guess that's where you go to get it. Ask your employees.

If SOTI is accelerating down, the CEO just jumped on the gas pedal.

If there is any chance of SOTI staying afloat... Sell while you can get a little money before you put all those people out of a job.

Great steppingstone

I have been working at SOTI

Pros

Lots of teams, lots of talent in the company

Cons

Not enough compensation for the hours owrked

This company has not changed. Run!

I worked at SOTI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have nothing positive to report about working here.

Cons

Lack of direction and organization. Complete chaos internally with no real management structure, no job role definitions, metrics, etc. All titles are powerless unless you are the owner of the company. No ability to execute perceived job role due to lack of support internally and needing to work with equally disgruntled employees.

Your employees are trying to make the company better. Listen to them.

Senior software developer

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer

I have been working at SOTI

Pros

Great and friendly people to work with. Good life work balance. The company is rapidly expanding. So it's a good chance to grow withy the company. Of course, management methodology is different from small company to big one. So at its upsizing stage, there are some things that are waiting to be changed too.

Cons

Benefit is just minimum. Could be better. Development process is not yet good. But considering its shifting from small company to big company, I can totally understand that because I see senior management team has the determination to change that. Just don't know how long it will take us.

Great place to work

I have been working at SOTI

Pros

Healthy work environment.
    Accommodating team and upper management
    Very social and laid back culture
    Work Hard, Play Hard culture.

Cons

Salaries could be better than the current compensation

Great learning opportunity

I worked at SOTI (more than a year)

Pros

The company is growing and the shortage of employees provides an excellent opportunity to take a variety of responsibilities. Similarly, the company's growth offers potential for some challenging work in streamlining internal processes and establishing efficient workflows. The relatively small size of the company makes it possible to interact with C-level executives on a daily basis. There is very minimum bureaucracy.

Cons

Employee benefits and pay are not very competitive. Employees are sometimes not given adequate training (which can be a stimulating challenge and non-issue for self-starters).

Value your employees more by engaging them and offering more competitive benefits.

Young, dynamic and growing

I have been working at SOTI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

What I like the most about the company is that it is driven by customer satisfaction. Customer is always right and everything is thrown at resolving a particular customer concern. Because there are so many customers and the company is growing rapidly there is some chaos.
    Establishing processes takes time. I see it as a growing pain. CEO's door is actually open and anyone can just walk in and chat him up. I have not come across an executive who is as direct and straightforward.
    Things happen very quickly. The environment is very dynamic. Soccer team and bunch of other activities.

Cons

A rapidly growing company establishes processes on the go and rebuilds the core product engine in-flight.
    Benefits are OK, lack of flexibility in packages is compensated by no deductions from payroll.
    Payroll is once a month, something I have not come across in a while.
    Only 4 sick/personal days.
    Work from home is not supported.

Support telecommuting. Add more personal days and vacation, boost other perks.

Lack of Professionalism

I worked at SOTI full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A nice lunch room, and foosball table. A good stepping stone for younger career minded people. Great experience to learn skills to deal with these issues that plague this organization. Will make you smarter for the remainder of your career, as long as you don't stay too long.

Cons

Very disorganized, sweatshop mentality, they are abusing the temporary foreign worker program and there is an apparent lack of ethics. It is more like a college dorm rather than a corporate environment. The negative reviews on here are reality (don't kid yourself), the positives for the most part are HR or some other entities at SOTI trying to make working there more appealing so they can keep pulling in slaves for the sweatshop.

No advice, they would not listen anyways. If anything read these reviews and make yourself a leading company. You have a great opportunity, don't blow it because of your tunnel vision.

Worst place I have ever worked

Former Employee - Senior Software Development in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Development in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at SOTI full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you are new to Canada it is easy to get a job here, lack of English proficiency is not a barrier. Although somewhat haphazardly co-ordinated there is reasonably good access to some of the latest mobile technnology.

Cons

By far the largest majority of people who work there (in QA and Development - I don't know much about the other departments) are new immigrants. Communication is a BIG problem. In fact it is fair to say that you rarely heard English on the Development floor. Most are so new to Canada they are terrified that they will be fired if they don't toe the line. In fact the company recruits directly from foreign head hunters in spite of Canadian immigration law that says you have to prove there is no Canadian who can do the job before you are allowed to sponsor an immigrant. They knowingly flaunt the immigration and labour laws. When I specifically asked about overtime policies one senior manager said; 'We don't have to worry. We classify everybody as professional and the laws for overtime don't apply. Besides there is a clause that says that professionals can be asked to work overtime without recompense from time-to-time if conditions warrant".

Another trick they use is the "probationary period' with a twist. ALL employees are on a probationary period when first starting (nothing too strange there) but in this case it is frequently a six to 12 month probationary period - during which of course there are no benefits. In many cases the employee is simply terminated a couple days before probation ends - no reason given or, if they need more work being done they extend the probation period - again no benefits.

Turnover is VERY high - I've never been anywhere where there is such high flux.

At SOTI it was the norm to not eat lunch at all during our lunch break but instead were supposed to continue working (meetings were invariably scheduled during this period to ensure people couldn't have a lunch break), but it was mandated that we be at the office 11 -12 hours each weekday with the "one-hour" lunch break not counting towards our daily total hours. To ensure people stayed late, one of the senior managers would go around to every cubicle around 5 pm each day and ask who was staying late that day so they could order a slice of pizza (supper) for them. That way they had an automatic list of who stayed and who didn't - i.e. 3 to 4 hours overtime for a recompense of one slice of pizza (maybe two) since there was no overtime pay. As well we were all told we were required to work at least one full day each weekend. No matter how many hours we worked in a week, if we needed to take say 2 hours to go to a doctor's appointment we had to formally request the two hours and formally state when we were going to make up the lost time (in addition to all the other time already noted) or we lost pay for those two hours. For all of this effort we were paid a straight 40 hour week - if we were lucky.

In addition, again for no recompense, it was expected that everybody was on 24 hour call. If a customer or company salesperson ran into problems on the other side of the world at 2 am your time, it was expected that you would be available for the call and stay on the call as long as necessary to fix the problem - and still be at work on time in the morning and stay the full day. If you brought it to your manager's attention that you had been up all night on a call and couldn't be in on time the next day you were treated as a troublemaker.

Another strange thing - Human Resources reports to Development so there is absolutely no support from HR for anybody who has any issues. I was specifically told by my manager that HR is NOT supposed to know anything about how much any of the employees is being paid.

We were supposed to have regular one-on-ones with our managers - again no surprise. I have always used one-on-ones as an opportunity for me to have frank discussions with my manager about anything I wanted to get off my chest or if I wanted to have somebody to talk to - professional, personal, etc. with the stated understanding that absolutely nothing said would ever leave the room unless I specifically asked my manager to pass it on or follow up. At SOTI it was MANDATED that all one-on-ones be documented regarding every detail (professional, personal, whatever) discussed, on a special written form that the company insisted be used. All these forms were of course provided back to the company. I of course neglected to ever schedule a one-on-one with my manager.

I learned quickly that there was no such thing as a 'confidential' discussion at SOTI. One time I asked one of the managers (not mine) to talk to me about something and specifically asked that the discussion stay between the two of us. Less than an hour later I was in my manager's office discussing the concerns I had that I spoken about to this other manager 'confidentially'

Hiring practices, development process, quality assurance are all very weak and unprofessional for a company which aspires to a leading role in its market niche.

You must learn that your most important asset is your people. Until you do you will continue to experience a huge turnover and people will continue to treat the company as a stopgap until they find something better.

SOTI Photos