SPAR Group Reviews

Updated September 13, 2014
Updated September 13, 2014
3.1

Gary S. Raymond

Depends upon where you live and your supervisor I think

Current Employee - Merchandiser

I have been working at SPAR Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

A few years ago, I worked for the "McKesson" division of Spar and hated it. I only worked a few months because it mainly dealt with pharmacies and they just didn't seem to "get" merchandising like some of the bigger stores or even the dollar stores.

Last year I came on with Spar working in the division that works on the dollar stores. I have mixed feelings about this company and the work - but I gave the company a 4 star rating because I really do enjoy my district manager and she is great.

In my area (a small town with a total of 5 dollar type stores and one box store), I am the only Spar rep for my division. Depending upon the project, I get paid at various rates - either a project rate for a small job or an hourly rate for a bigger job. I might do anything from put up IRC stickers on products to auditing things to creating displays to resets. The bigger the job...the better the chance it is an hourly rate.

I like the fact that I can schedule my work the way I want...within reason. Most projects have a one week window when they're in Family Dollar - some others have a 2 week window.

The smaller jobs are easy usually - the larger ones are resets or video counts (I don't have a handheld) which always take me about 3 times the amount of time to do because I don't have a handheld (which I really would only need for that one task four times per year). My manager is super about making sure I get paid my overtime because she knows I'm counting and sorting hundreds of videos by title.

I like the fact that I know that every month I will be in Family Dollar on weeks two and three and that USUALLY (but not always) the larger projects are during week two.

I live in a small town and my furthest store is maybe 8 miles from my house- so I'm never out a lot of drive time or mileage to do my stores. If I lived in a bigger town where I had to drive 20 miles or so across town for a $10 job, I can see why folks might complain.

I think sometimes about giving up Spar - mainly because of the video counts which I hate. But the fact is...I really enjoy my manager - she is one of the best I've ever worked for and she is always so positive with me and just...outstanding. I feel like she cares about me as a person and that means a lot to me.

Cons

I hate HATE HATE Spar's reporting and scheduling system with a passion. I hate all the paperwork you have to print up (although they do give some reimbursement). I hate the fact that some things are project rate with pay like $3.25 or $5 or whatever because you're in the store anyway for another project. I understand why they do it - but that is one of the reasons I think of quitting every so often.

Change to a better website portal. I know you have an app for the phone now but for some reason - my Android won't let me use it and seems to think it has a virus or something. (It works fine for other apps).

Stop with the piddly rates for the small projects. Yes, I know they're small and yes, I know that we're already in the store. But we have to print the paperwork, read the paperwork, etc. and that takes time too.

With that said - if you live in a small town and are in the stores anyway....and can have a manager you like...try it out!

Poor corporate culture

I have been working at SPAR Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy commute. Good office complex.

Cons

Most employees doing the work of 2 or more people. Bad morale, people stressed and overwhelmed.

Client Services Intern

Former Employee - Client Services Intern  in  Auburn Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Client Services Intern in Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at SPAR Group as an intern for more than a year

Pros

SPAR in Auburn Hills has a great office/company culture! I learned so much in my time as an intern there and am very thankful for the experience!

Cons

The office building itself is old and could use some updating.

Keep your great internship program going!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love this job

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at SPAR Group as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I have grown professionally more, working in teams

Cons

Im pretty happy with the whole thing

I would really like to get on the Go team I believe I have the experience and the knowlegde as i have worked in the industy 4 yrs in the retail merchsndising business . Im a fast learner and work fast and efficiently.

managers barely talk to their workers

I worked at SPAR Group part-time

Pros

Alright pay, opportunities for advancement, friendly co-workers

Cons

Mangers barely communicate with the workers. Disrespectful upper management.

Become more family oriented. Try to understand the people working on the floors of family dollar and such are still humans and deserve to be treated as such

Not so good

Former Employee - Merchandiser  in  Eureka, CA
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Eureka, CA

I worked at SPAR Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy hours, meet allot of nice people, networking is a plus in this position.

Cons

Not much training. Paperwork is tideous and you do not get paid for reporting. I live in an area where gas is the most expensive in the nation. Driving over a 10-20 mile round trip for a $3.00 job is ridiculous!

More training is necessary. More contact with field help would be nice.

Neutral

Current Employee - Field Manager  in  White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Field Manager in White Plains, NY

I have been working at SPAR Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

work- life balance, office culture

Cons

personal growth, compensation, bonus, paid time off

Spar needs more reps with Integrity

I worked at SPAR Group as a contractor

Pros

Working a flexible schedule and being able to work with a high level of Integrity on my part. Integrity involves moral judgment and character, honesty and leadership …

Cons

I have a high level of Integrity and I was out in the field doing work and building realtionships that 'shine' and realizing all that is needed is, good enough.
    (Basically doing minimal work within the allotted time frame).

You need auditors who can and will PHYSICALLY go to the stores to audit a reps work. Not in just the vital areas near a HQ.
    It has been a while since I worked for your company but it pains me to go to stores and talk to personnel I had gotten to know, and hear them complain, dissatisfied with Spars rep.
    One day, while visiting relatives in the Midwest, I actually witnessed the Spar rep in the store doing a rather large job. The rep never took off their coat. The rep never put down their bag even for a minute!
    The rep never looked past the front row product and the rep never asked to service all areas their product may be. (I was able to witness this because I was conversing w/a friend who worked at the store).
    The store rather than do the work themselves prefer to have a 'warm' body versus 'no-body'.
    So therefore they won't even voice their disatisfaction on a phone audit.
    They will just say the rep is doing "okay".
    I quit your company when I realized it was all about the 'numbers'. I quit your company when a 'former' manager (different area) falsified call reports. (Your present manager is excellent, by the way).
    I quit your company when Spar hired a new manager for my area and they openly admitted to having been fired by another company for falsifying.
    Some of your area managers and/or their helpers come and go so quickly and it is amazing how the company could ever let the good ones go!?
    It is amazing how quick responses are viewed as 'being out there doing the work', when some of these people aren't anywhere near their desks! Thanks to smart phones!
    All in all, some of these stores are not getting the service they should.
    These reps know that a physical audit is about as remote as their visiting the moon.
    I even asked a rep who admitted to having not visited their store is weeks, "how could they have even gotten away with it?" They 'slyly' responded, "there are ways".
    If you want to be held in high regard or higher regard ~ you need people like me!
    Would I work for you again? Maybe, if the terms were right.
    How do you find me? Just ask who quit in the last few years who was always honest and hard working. Or who was replaced because being they didn't have a smart phone and couldn't respond in a matter of a NY minute! But who did respond within an appropriate amount of time.
    To be fair I have also seen/observed reps who do show up and who do the work well.
    Those reps you need more of too!

it was a job

Former Employee - Not Going to Say  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Not Going to Say in Dallas, TX

I worked at SPAR Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

job satisfaction from the thanks you received from customers store managers. being treated well and thanked from upper management

Cons

Being treated like garbage and talked down to from middle management (go district). this happens when you receive NO complaints, just praise from customers.

Replace your go district middle management with someone who has people skills. the SVP and Pres should talk to past and present employees, to find out what is going on with the company.

luke warm

I have been working at SPAR Group as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

work at your time giving me time to do other jobs and have time to spend with family and church, I enjoy going to my stores the management staff and employees are great and excited to see me coming

Cons

no travel time pay, asked to to travel 2 or 3 hours round trip for no travel pay, DM only cares about there pay,

check with contractors about your Distric Managers, we aduit companys to check if work is being done do the same with in the company

Worked for SPAR Group? Contribute to the Community!