SPARC

Eric Bowman

Love this Place - Could not Be Happier

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Charleston, SC

I have been working at SPARC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great team, good pay, awesome environment and culture. While SPARC has grown tremendously we still seem to maintain an awesome place to work and play. Many great wins and we are clicking on all cylinders. Lots of room for growing your skillset, becoming a leader, and advancing your career.

Cons

Growing pains like any young company that has a lot of people in a tight space. That I am sure will be fixed shortly.

Keep on rockin and thanks for getting rid of the old CTO and Chief Evangelist...He was all over the map and did a lot of stuff but none of it well.

Great Company with great Team Members

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at SPARC full-time

Pros

Relaxed work environment with high performing team members. Leadership is great to work with and very transparent.

Cons

Not a lot of nearby food options due to location. The company itself however is great!

Amazing culture, great coworkers, interesting work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Charleston, SC

I have been working at SPARC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Culture can't be artificially created, but it can definitely be nurtured. While it may sound like recruiter fluff, SPARC's commitment to having a thriving culture at the center of everything really does show through in the day-to-day life here.

- As a developer, I've never previously experienced the creative freedom I enjoy here. Rather than seeking to be a "Java shop" or a ".NET shop", the technical leadership here simply encourages using the right tool for the right job (with a pragmatic understanding that sometimes "right" is largely dictated by the interests of the team doing the work). As a result, I haven't had to use Java OR .NET during the two years I've been here (although both are used within the company...). :)

- While organizational scale requires some form of hierarchy, there is a very clear policy against requiring communication channels to follow any such hierarchy. Everyone from execs to summer interns are encouraged and enabled to talk directly to anyone within the company, CEO included. My own experience was that I had talked to SPARC's CEO (Eric Bowman) more during my first 15 minutes than I had with my former job's CEO over 4 years.

- The projects and challenges that we solve are varied and interesting. Some of our projects have direct impact on our nation's veterans, we create unique solutions for commercial customers, and we've built some truly awesome products and proprietary analytics technology.

- As a strong proponent of Open Source, I was happy to find that SPARC's commitment to Open Source wasn't just lip service. During my time here, I've been able to contribute to literally over a dozen Open Source projects and SPARC itself is Open Sourcing new projects as well (including entire applications).

- As has already been commented, the benefits are good, salary is competitive, and the coworkers are awesome.

Cons

No job is going to be without problems. SPARC has definitely experienced growing pains and at times communication could have been better. My own challenges here at SPARC have most often been minor, situational, and not endemic of the company as a whole. Part of SPARC's culture seems to being laying everything out on the table, so when murmurs turn to grumbling, you can pretty much count on a very proactive and open response.

Great place to work as for a developer

Current Employee - Developer in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Developer in Charleston, SC

I have been working at SPARC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work environment and benefits. Agile methodology to the fullest!

Cons

Sparc has some growing pains.

Keep up the good work. Focus hiring on quality over quantity.

Communication breakdowns, process over people.

I have been working at SPARC

Pros

- The benefits are good, there is a great health care plan.
    - The work environment is informal and casual.
    - There are lots of interesting projects being built.

Cons

- Process is chosen over people. People are not enabled to build great product.
    - Some workers are unreliable and it can be difficult to get responses on decisions.
    - Bad decisions are made without giving reason. There is an accepted culture of unprofessional delay.
    - There is often inadequate feedback and communication.

trust people over process and focus on better communications.

The Sunday angst I used to have about reporting to work Monday a.m. is gone forever; I have taken back my Sundays!!

Current Employee - Account Executive of Human Resources Solutions in Charleston, SC

I have been working at SPARC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Camaraderie among employees
    -Open lines of communication across an extremely flat organizational structure
    -My voice is heard
    -Recognition is consistent and constant
    -Work is fun
    -Work is meaningful
    -Innovation is constant!
    -Everyone is a "team member"

Cons

If you do not like working for a company with the characteristics listed in the Pros section, this may not be the place for you. Current employees are known to arrive early and stay late, so again, if you are not willing to bust your back for something you care about, SPARC is probably not for you. If you do not like having fun or the ability to engage ANY team member in conversation within a company, SPARC may not be the place for you..

Continue constant innovation as well as the ability to be agile! Add value!

Best place to work in South Carolina!

Current Employee - QA Ninja in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - QA Ninja in Charleston, SC

I have been working at SPARC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture is amazing. More then just nerf darts, beer30, dogs on Friday its something about the people that work here that have a feeling of family. Everyone from SST down really care about their co-workers oh and we are doing amazing things to help Veteran's.

Cons

Can't think of anything that is a con.

Best place I've ever worked.

I have been working at SPARC

Pros

The culture is amazing and really infectious. The senior leadership team are always asking for ways to improve and if we are happy. The medical benefits are amazing basically the best place I've ever worked.

Cons

Sometimes it seems like there are too many "cooks in the kitchen". Some of the middle tier leadership have personality issues.

Keep up the good work and try to get to know each of your employees.

SPARC is a "People First, First" work environment and they live up to these expectations!

I have been working at SPARC

Pros

- Fun place to work
    - Very open communication with everyone, including the SLT
    - Everyone treated as equals
    - Agile, always evolving work environment
    - Very good benefits, including health insurance with no monthly premiums!
    - Work with cutting edge technologies

Cons

Because SPARC is growing so fast, nearly doubling in size in the last three months, the company is going to have a hard time keeping its culture as awesome as it currently is. If we can scale the culture to meet the growth in the company, it'll remain and awesome place to work!

Keep doing the things that make SPARC awesome: SPARC Spontaneous, Company outings, Beer 30, Sparcets, Hug-Factor, and the rest of the things that make the culture what it is today. Keep looking for business development opportunities in other areas to ensure we don't have all of our eggs in one or two baskets.

Top talent with a fun environment while staying ahead of cutting edge technology.

I have been working at SPARC

Pros

-I enjoy coming to work everyday.
    -My hard work and dedication never goes unappreciated or unacknowledged. Whether I get a verbal complement or a hand written thank you with a lottery ticket, I always feel encouraged to perform to the best of my ability.
    -SPARC offers top-notch benefits.
    -Company communication encourages us to workout hard in the mornings, but close the day with an IPA from Charleston Beer Exchange.

Cons

-We're growing so fast that it's hard to keep up with all the new hires
    -Between the scooters, Call of Duty, Nerf guns, sumo wrestling, soccer and basketball it is sometimes difficult to code.... but you definitely learn to trust people here.

-continue to hire top-talent with SPARCtastic attitude. Don't lose the fantastic culture!

SPARC Photos