SPARC Reviews

Reset
4.0
Marc Murphy

1. Temporary Accountant

Pros

Good work culture, fast growing company in a very fast growing industry

Cons

none that I can think of

Advice to Management

none

2. Best place I have ever worked

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at SPARC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started at Sparc 4 years ago after working in IT for 6 years with a managed services company. Sparc was a refreshing change and continues to be an inspiring place to work. The environment is very open and collaborative which if you can handle the occasional disruption can lead to some great innovation. Personally I came from a heads down office environment with a very micro managed work load. At Sparc it's more of I know what I need to get done and I have the freedom to complete tasking the way I think it should be done. Leadership is in place to remove blockers, not tell you how to do every aspect of your job. I've had several opportunities to pivot my job description and grow into new areas. This has allowed me to grow my responsibilities and take ownership of areas that I feel can impact the company. Overall I think Sparc is a great place to work and though they do work on govt contracts they feel more like a software development shop than a contract shop. They don't put butts in seats just to have work on a contract, they understand that the environment within Sparc is what makes them successful.

Cons

I've been working in various jobs for the past 20 years and Sparc today is light years ahead of anywhere else I've worked. They are an agile company so as they have grown from 100, when I started, to 300 today, there have been changes that I would say have been for the better. Unfortunately sometimes it seems like there are people who haven't worked at other places or may have come here straight out of college that preach agile but then complain about any change leadership makes. If you are accountable and can take ownership in your work you will do great at Sparc.

Advice to Management

Focus on helping team members find value in increased accountability and taking ownership in Sparc, not just their individual tasks. Help them see the value in finding solutions not problems...

3. Great environment

Former Employee - Temp Accountant in Daniel Island, SC
    Former Employee - Temp Accountant in Daniel Island, SC

Pros

Flexible hours Great atmosphere to work in Great management High Growth potential Fast growing company No corporate managers looking over your shoulder all day long

Cons

No cons for working at SPARC

5. Never going back to corporate!

Former Employee - Analyst in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Charleston, SC

I worked at SPARC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual environment with down to earth management. The workload is not overwhelming. Normal schedule! Career growth!

Cons

The location kinda sucks. The pros definitely outweigh this but the location is still bad.

Advice to Management

Communication is key. Keep it open and transparent. Once you forget your corporate

First 6 months: Disney. Last 6 months: painful.

I have been working at SPARC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed attitudes, casual, beer sometimes. Some of the people are fun and most everyone is super nice. Unlimited pto is nice if you actually use it.

Cons

Very clique-y. Pods and teams tend to stay grouped. Has a great "culture" but is turning into a gov contractor. Doesn't pay competitive wages. Parking is a hassle everyday. The building is subpar- often smells, ac breaks, septic tank gets full, or some beeping is going off. I was bored on my project all the time. The president gets arrested, it's never talked about except gossip. Hard to get professional development- after looking at what it would take for me to tackle node I gave up.

Not as it seems

Current Employee - Software Developer in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Charleston, SC

I have been working at SPARC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed environment Beer sometimes Snacks and soda

Cons

Joined SPARC thinking it would be a good career move, seems like it is a company with a lot of hype about 'culture' with little of anything else. I thought it would be a place I would be happy to go in to work at everyday. Everyone is super friendly, but thats it. There is no career growth here.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what other companies in the area are paying - SPARC isn't better than any of them. A lot of companies now have fun cultures.

SPARC Response

Jul 1, 2015 – Vice President of Talent Acquisition & HR

Thank you for reviewing SPARC on Glassdoor. As you may have experienced already, we welcome feedback and recommendations - Communication is a core value. Career growth is top of mind for us as we ... More

Goog Balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Pros

Seen the leadership do some exceptional things when someone was going through personal issues like sickness. Things like financial assistance and liberal time off and flexibility. Fun environment. Free beer who doesn't like beer. Casual work space.

Cons

It gets a little wild sometimes with the darts and such. I don't mind it but some people might. The building especially the heating and air need some work but I think it is getting worked on.

Advice to Management

Give us a bit more room. I like you and all but need some more space. Need more parking too. I guess that is the bad side of a good thing... growth.

9. Great People, Great Environment, Great Career

I have been working at SPARC full-time

Pros

Sparc has become a home away from home. I have had opportunities to grow in ways I have not been able to at previous jobs. It is obvious that we are team, with each member being an important part. In a growing company it can be hard to know everyone and keep up with new hires, but Sparc works hard to make everyone known and recognized. Call it culture, call it corporate pride, call it whatever you want but Sparc has it in spades. People here are proud to tell people where they work, proud to recommend friends work here, and happy to come to work everyday. Dogs, beer, nerf darts, slow clapping, Humans of Sparc, unlimited vac, planned and impromptu parties, flip flops and shorts... Sparc is just a fun place full of super smart talented people.

Cons

Like all growing companies, especially startups that grow fast, there are growing pains. To be fair all companies need to strengthen certain areas, at Sparc I would say these would be: -Health Benefits -Corporate Communication -Tuition Reimbursement/ Training The great thing about Sparc is that as a small company, input is received and opportunities to better the company are taken.

QA Engineer

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Charleston, SC

I worked at SPARC (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was good for location.

Cons

Although this company boasts that it has a culture of transparency, progressiveness, and a learning culture, it is what I would say the exact opposite. I have worked in formal, traditional companies such as Cardinal Health, and it offered far more understanding managers, opportunity for growth and a true learning culture. Extremely noisy atmosphere, and not allowed to leave desk area to find a quieter place to work. I have probably worked for 5+ companies in my career, and this was one of the worst cultures i have ever experienced. I came in thinking that this would be a "google-esque" culture and decided to leave realizing it was just a wannabe. The managers seem to have no training on managing people. No clear lines of communication whatsoever, and everyone seemed to be from a different company - whether it was SPARC or when of its many contractors. So rules seemed to apply differently to each person.

Advice to Management

Give scrum masters and managers training on how to manage people.

Don't listen to the sales pitch.

I have been working at SPARC full-time

Pros

Perfectly adequate work environment. free beer (sometimes)

Cons

Pretty much everything they sale you on to get you to work there is either a half truth or an outright lie. The health insurance is mediocre at best, free beer is only on very rare occasions (although obviously much more often than most companies), professional development/continuing education is extremely hard to take advantage of and comes with A LOT of prerequisites that make it virtually useless. Senior employees are allowed to act as unprofessionally as they want even if it creates hostility - if you complain you simply hear: "sorry, they has worked for the company for a long time, so you'll just have to deal with it"

Advice to Management

Don't let hostile unprofessionalism go unchecked. ALL employees should be responsible for their actions.

RSS Feed </> Embed