SPARTA Reviews

1. SPARTA - EMPLOYEE OWNED

Former Employee - Business Office Administrator in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Business Office Administrator in Newport News, VA

I worked at SPARTA

Pros

Small, employee owned, employee appreciation, stock options, bonuses

Cons

Sold to Cobham Analytic Solutions, No longer employee owned, stock options taken away, closed site offices due to Centralization

2. Great overall experience

I worked at SPARTA

Pros

Great work environment
    Good people
    Always have ability to answer questions regarding work
    Never felt as though I was going left out even though I was an intern

Cons

There was a lack of training from the beginning. I was never given proper advice on exactly what to do at times but just had to ask.

3. Sparta was a good company. It started out as a small business that grew into a large business

Former Employee - Engineer in Rosslyn, VA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Rosslyn, VA

I worked at SPARTA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Even though it Sparta grew into a large business it maintained the "feel" of a small business. The people were very talented in their disciplines.

Cons

Sometimes the small business operations were not always favorable for an employee. Because there was not a functional organization when the program you were working came to an end it was employee's responsibility to find his next assignment.

Consider implementing a functional organization to assist employees in transitioning to their next job.

5. Great people, seems things are different Post-Parsons

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at SPARTA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I loved the people I worked with. Many were left from when the company started (as a small employee-owned company) and were the quirky IT-type. They all genuinely cared about one another and were very welcoming to me as a newcomer. I greatly enjoyed the variety of work and the independent nature of my job.

Cons

The transition to Parsons was anything but smooth. It was particularly difficult when it came to HR issues (changing from local to corporate). Benefits were crappy as a new employee. Security Officer was a joke and a PITA. Billing of hours was unrealistic and (I believe) often falsified by employees.

It is not realistic to expect 8 billable hours a day from people. People need to be able to use the restroom, get coffee, and briefly catch up with a coworker. I often had to spend 9.5-10 hours a day at the office in order to get 8 billable hours. I honestly don't know how others did it.

6. Not the same since Parson's bought them out.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at SPARTA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The work can be interesting and technologically challenging. Within a group there can be a wide variety of tasks and opportunities to learn new technologies. Management generally leaves you alone and lets you do your job.

Cons

Quickly becoming a large mindless bureaucracy with the purchase by Parsons. Very little opportunity for advancement. Benefits have continually deteriorated especially after the sale of the company.

Low level management needs to do a better job of managing the projects.

7. Review

I have been working at SPARTA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work (at least when I was there)

Cons

Immature workforce to include mid-level management

8. Okay until purchased by Parsons

I worked at SPARTA

Pros

nice co-workers and flexible work schedule

Cons

disorganized talent management group and lack of understanding of the business

9. Terrible management

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at SPARTA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There were many great coworkers and the work was often interesting and engaging.

Cons

Teams are very distinct and you can run into huge differences in management style. Although the best teams may have frequent scrums to keep everyone working in the right direction, at no point did I feel management cared about the work I was doing enough to give feedback. In the worst case, management will give a vague impression of what you're supposed to do and then only see it when you're actually demoing it for clients. After parsons bought it from Cobham there was 30 to 50 percent turnover in some departments, likely due to management and decreased benefits. And don't expect much of a raise or bonus after you get hired, unless you're a manager.

Try to at least act like you care about the work and product and not just scoring another huge contract.

10. Once VERY good but things are changing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at SPARTA full-time

Pros

There are still a lot of good, talented people working for SPARTA. Some of the "small business" and "high-end technical support" still exists in pockets.

Cons

Parsons, Inc, the large company that just bought SPARTA, really has no background in the type of work SPARTA does (did?). With increased belt tightening to presumably increase Parsons profit from its purchase (obviously well within the rights of Parsons), the good talent is starting to move to companies that have fairer compensation plans.

I think it may be too late to give advice. The Kool-Aid has been consumed and the large Corporation has too much momentum to change course.

11. Fast paced work environment, very technically sound people

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Centreville, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Centreville, VA

I worked at SPARTA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Rapid work requirements prepare you for future jobs

Cons

Generally low salaries, stock plan is like pyramid scheme

Offer higher salary in lieu of stock options