SPS Commerce Reviews

Updated July 30, 2014

3.8

SPS Commerce CEO Archie Black
Archie Black

Very great company, wonderful people and good opportunities

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at SPS Commerce full-time

Pros

Great culture, fun environment, good place to begin working after college. Management truly cares about your success and gives you the tools to do well.

Cons

Sometimes things are a bit disorganized due to being a younger company. Some processes haven't been ironed out but I fully except them to be in the near future.

Great for those fresh out of college

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at SPS Commerce full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The environment is a great training ground for those fresh out of college looking to get into sales of software services. Due to the turnover you will make a lot of great professional contacts that will last a lifetime. If you get lucky with accounts and a great territory six figures is attainable.

Cons

Lots of fighting over account and inbound lead ownership. On the surface the environment is not overly politcal but when you look at how territories are assigned it's clear favoritism abounds. Those who play their politics correctly will enjoy numerous inbound leads while their co-workers are stuck grinding out cold calls all day long.

If the system you create is inherently unfair, don't be surprised when people are unhappy.

Exciting Company to be a part of

Current Employee - Customer Operations Analyst  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Operations Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at SPS Commerce full-time for less than a year

Pros

You can be at the bottom of this organization and quickly make a suggestion that makes its way to the top. I started here out of college and within 2 months had multiple suggestions in front of the CFO and Director Customer Operations; they take feedback and organizational improvement initiative with open arms.

Cons

Sometimes seem to be growing faster than they can handle, deal with customers fairly often who are very frustrated with the lack of care they have been dealt when getting set up as a customer with SPS.

I think the leadership at SPS is right on track, very involved and accessible, and take accountability and very seriously. However during my time at SPS so far I have felt that we are understaffed and have not been able to take full care of any of our customers; instead we are taking partial care of all of them. Staff up, dial in, and make the compromise of staffing more people to take better care of customers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Work with Huge Upside

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at SPS Commerce full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Co-Workers are fantastic, Market Leader, Fun work environment, executive is accessible and is willing to listen.

Cons

Hard work and will put in a lot of hours every week. Not for folks who want to work 40 hours and go home.

Great entry level gig

I worked at SPS Commerce

Pros

The pros for SPS Commerce were good people, continued training, fun company culture, interesting technology, fast growing company, awesome location downtown Minneapolis

Cons

Some things that I didn't like about SPS was that the job wasn't particularly challenging. The pay was pretty low though coming in at an entry level position. There was also free parking in the building. That was a major hassle.

Best Career Move I Could Have Ever Made.

Current Employee - Sales  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at SPS Commerce full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- High growth and true leadership mentality.
    - Fun work environment with a very young work force culture.
    - True meritocracy.
    - Fantastic career growth opportunity.
    - Centered within an industry that is forever relevant and secure within the retail market.

Cons

- Pay scales are a bit skewed. Within sales, you can make six figures if you hit your number, but if you struggle...the guaranteed compensation is low. This is no different than any other sales environment.

- General growing pains. SPS has grown so quickly, the organization is learning to overcome hurdles making the jump from 50m to 100m+.

Continue to provide concise messaging and direction to your employees. Your strategy for the company is fantastic, stick to our guns and continue to reinvest in your workforce. If it makes sense, we're likely due for an acquisition to help our account base.

Good company for recent college grads to gain experience

I worked at SPS Commerce

Pros

Great company, fun atmosphere, growing company

Cons

Really young employees directly out of college.

Poor Leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at SPS Commerce full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers to work with. Corporate services do what they can to have frequent events to keep staff interacting.

Cons

Middle management can't seem to work together to create a solid direction. There's a lot of confusion about what the real priorities are and issues with production systems are frequent which can lead to stress and working late. There's too much push back and blame game between teams and it doesn't lead to constructive work towards a shared milestone. Some teams that do lots of good work do not get recognized as a whole.

A commitment needs to be made on technical direction and someone from management needs to put themselves out in front as the leader. Hire more human resources and spend WAY more time on shared knowledge and internal system auditing.

I worked there after an the company I worked with was aquired.

I worked at SPS Commerce full-time for more than a year

Pros

Their employee stock purchase program.

Cons

They are not a company of their word.

Take care of your people and they will take care of you. You do not know everything that you think you do.

Good place to work, not the right fit for me

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at SPS Commerce full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun environment with plenty of social outings & planned events, opportunity for growth, training and education on an ongoing basis

Cons

Long hours & high stress as a sales account executive, cold calling becomes a major part of the job, fighting over accounts driven by so many new hires coming in on a regular basis, mostly recent graduates

Worked for SPS Commerce? Contribute to the Community!