SPX

Be The First To
Add Photos

SPX Chairman, President, and CEO Chris Kearney

Chris Kearney

Pros
  • Work-life balance, humility amongst co-workers(in 3 reviews)

• Great benefits and great people(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They manage business with short outlook that only extends to the next quarter(in 5 reviews)

Great career builder and experience

Director (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsThe people and the team environment make SPX a great place to work.

ConsThe company makes changes slowly and deliberately, sometimes feels overly cautious.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some risks, pay attention to the engagement of the employees, release some control, empower people more

Bad morale at Tulsa office!

Office (Current Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsGood 401k plan. Nice coworkers.

ConsAt Tulsa the pay is low and people are constantly getting fired. Those that are still there are looking for another job where they can feel good about their employer. The president doesn't have a clue how to run a company. There is no opportunity to move up, you might make a lateral move but that is it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTulsa is always losing money and if you want to change that, start at the top. Put someone in that knows how to run a company and treat employees with respect.

OK

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsCo workers are great to work with

ConsOpportunity to move up is non existant

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Long Road to Improvement

(Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsCompetitive compensation, site management recognizes that there are organizational deficiencies, solid backlog position for at least a year (or more). Building a pool of excellent staff & mid-level management. This will be a great place for someone who has a strong desire to experience grass-roots organizational change in a small-ish group within a large corporation.

ConsThe organizational deficiencies are crippling, management is unable to build or articulate a concensus roadmap to improvement (I believe that they are moving in the right direction, but too slowly to impact 2012 & perhaps 2013). The top-level corporate culture (as stated & communicated from Charlotte) is definitely good & noteworthy, but it has not yet taken root in Houston.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not be afraid of or overly cautious about change; the Houston facility has fantastic potential that can be unlocked with a plan & commitment from management that invites employee participation & input. There is a wealth of knowledge & experience that needs to be transferred from the individual level to the institutional level & it will not happen without more commitment from the top. Be more concerned with building a sustainable set of processes that will allow visibility into next year than with the next month of shipments; the month is important, but at what cost?

Target evolution to an enterprise IT

Program Manager (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsReasonable benefits and good people who are willing to work long and hard to get the job done

ConsReorganize too often and is over matrixed with a lack of executive clarity around corporate enterprise goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess is more. Clearly understand what you want and what it takes to get what you are asking for, commit, then support your resources.

Ok but recognize your only as good as the next quarter

Sales Account Manager (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsFlexible, People are friendly. Opportunties to grow

ConsThey manage business with short outlook that only extends to the next quarter. Poor benefits, health insurance is self funded and you pay based on your salary. Bonus is used in the calculation of health insurance premium whether you make the bonus or not but yet all other benefits the bonus is taken out of the calculation. For example on the company paid life insurance. Cheap and skimpy on the bennies.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage to the year not the quarter, provide better benefits

Unorganized Chaos

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsIn terms of compensation, SPX pays well, and the benefits are good. The company does business in a number of diverse areas which helps balance out things during unstable times.

ConsManagement tends to be insular, close-minded and resort to old school ways of doing things. There's a strong old boys network at work. They are clueless when it comes to the importance of marketing, social media, diversity and other disciplines that are essential in working in a global market place. This doesn't bode well for a long-term future for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the box. Bring in fresh blood -- particularly in the areas of investor relations and public relations.

Ok, good launching point for a career

Division Controller (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsGood corporate structure with great benefits.

ConsLax in monitoring performance of Division Executives

The jobs I performed I enjoyed but the poor management was a problem.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Rockford, IL

ProsThe tasks and opportunites that I did receive were great. Generally the coworkers (and some of management) were very helpful and supportive. Safety was becoming a big consideration in decisions.

ConsIt was always a fight to expand my own abilities.
    Accountablity was not usually a part of the work envirnoment nor was there a level playing field.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a path and stick to it. Do not say you want something then do nothing to support it.

SPX a supplier to all.

Senior Technical Writer (Current Employee) Allen Park, MI

ProsEmployee support. Hands down one of the best HR teams in the industry. There support for employee life & work balance is amazing so far. Benifits and time off is on par with most of the East coast industry. Global opportunities all the time. Large company with small offices aroung the globe. Flexible management team. I have only been with the company for a short time but am satisfied so far.

ConsThe pay scales are far below industry standard for East Coast and I do feel they took advantage of the lack of jobs in Michigan when making offers to employee's and playing the "how bad do you want to work=how little pay will you accept" game.

Lack of direction and/or decision making from the abundance of under educated "middle managers", makes meeting productions times a little tough when the products been delivered and your still figuring out the process (of-course take into account client issues).

Seems a recurring story with SPX from clients I meet, about the flurry of low pay resources thrown at a project with very little direction and no plan in place.

Advice to Senior ManagementX Culture? More like "J" Culture as in categorizing the latter section of the baby boom separately, as Generation Jones (born between 1954 and 1965) More like Want to get "Back to Black"??? Time to take a look at the incredible amount of uneducated under skilled "seasoned" employees you have and where there placed. I would say the average age is 48-52, which happens to currently be a generation who didn't grow up with computers and I know, it's unfortunate but we have to work with it. Had they been factory workers for the Big 3 they would be retiring right now, but instead most were mechanics and some were technicians (yes there is a difference) and now there getting sharepoint mazes and cad software dropped in there laps with maybe 2 days training and it really kills productivity on a daily basis in electronic publishing. Put together a panel and move these guys into positions where there experience can benefit a younger faster employee and increase production. In other words move them out of production and into product/process quality control positions and bring in a younger culture to fuel innovation and speed growth for the future of SPX.

Worked for SPX? Contribute to the Community!