SPX

Be The First To
Add Photos

SPX Chairman, President, and CEO Chris Kearney

Chris Kearney

Pros
  • Work-life balance, humility amongst co-workers(in 3 reviews)

• Great benefits and great people(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They manage business with short outlook that only extends to the next quarter(in 5 reviews)

All talk

Buyer (Current Employee) Delavan, WI

ProsNice coworkers, bonus structure, low stress, great benefits. Great engineer departments. Put money back into business and clean work environment.

ConsLittle chance to move up, complacency, lack of middle management talent and forward thinking. Do not improve talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvolve non manager office employees on teams to improve morale and improve business.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Depends on which company you work for

Contracts/Legal (Former Employee)

ProsThe interview process was amazingly smooth. The technology was interesting.

ConsExamine carefully which child company you work for within the company-they are not all the same. The company I was with had a small company culture and many of the people who worked there and managed the company were related. This did not promote the kind of culture I wanted to work in.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is OK to actually define positions within the company-not "everyone does everything"

Good Company - but the IT Department is changing

Information Technology (Former Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsGood Career Opportunities, Great Co-Workers and culture. Decent Benefits. Fortune 500 Company. Helped grow my IT career/experience immensely during my tenure

ConsCompany culture is changing/realigning in IT (not for the better). changes introduced last year resulted in long hours, finger-pointing and a general under-appreciation and dissatisfaction with IT as a whole from IT employees & end-users. These changes also introduced a structure that does not offer very many opportunities for internal employees to grow or get promoted due to forced specialization

Advice to Senior ManagementIT management needs to value IT personnel and technology in general and cut back on some of the drastic changes made over the past year in order to compromise with employees. I'd still be working here today if this were the case

IT is a critical part of the business structure these days and changes are causing many good IT people that have been long-standing/outstanding employees to reconsider their career options.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dilbert-esque corporate environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMany locations to choose from

ConsMyopic, corporate Short sighted focus

Overall a good experience working in a union environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Battle Creek, MI

ProsDecent pay and benefits were good until it was bought by SPX. Direct supervisor was great and encouraged taking on personal projects to build experience and understanding of other departments.

ConsBought out by public company with share holders to satisfy. SPX is shutting down the plant after 1 year of ownership. Lack of accountability on the shop floor. Some floor supervisors are just there to collect paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou know where the problem was, take charge and hold people accountable for their actions or lack thereof.

Not too bad a place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits and great people

ConsPublic company - all about making the numbers

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Big large company. Run with cash OP and revenue in mind

ProsGood compensation, a wide variety of products to offer customers and a chance to move around the business and gain valuable experience

ConsThe culture is very shut down. Very little social interaction among an older generation. No innovation or continuous improvement pushed at operational level. constant change that does not improve company

Advice to Senior Managementlearn what lean is. understand we do not do it today. Focus on the employees and not the shareholders

Nice co-workers but too many layers

Finance Project Lead (Current Employee) Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)

ProsVery nice co-workers/collegues to work with
    There are some competent, well prepared and talented managers
    There is always something new to learn
    International environment

ConsToo many layers and too much politic sometimes
    Lack of decision making at management/upper levels
    Short focused, you are as good as next quarter results
    Too many organizational changes and quite some high turnover in people
    Very poor HR management
    Micro-management

OK

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsCo workers are great to work with

ConsOpportunity to move up is non existant

Target evolution to an enterprise IT

Program Manager (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsReasonable benefits and good people who are willing to work long and hard to get the job done

ConsReorganize too often and is over matrixed with a lack of executive clarity around corporate enterprise goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess is more. Clearly understand what you want and what it takes to get what you are asking for, commit, then support your resources.

Worked for SPX? Contribute to the Community!