SPX

Be The First To
Add Photos

SPX Chairman, President, and CEO Chris Kearney

Chris Kearney

Pros
  • Work-life balance, humility amongst co-workers(in 3 reviews)

• Great benefits and great people(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They manage business with short outlook that only extends to the next quarter(in 5 reviews)

Nice co-workers but too many layers

Finance Project Lead (Current Employee) Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)

ProsVery nice co-workers/collegues to work with
    There are some competent, well prepared and talented managers
    There is always something new to learn
    International environment

ConsToo many layers and too much politic sometimes
    Lack of decision making at management/upper levels
    Short focused, you are as good as next quarter results
    Too many organizational changes and quite some high turnover in people
    Very poor HR management
    Micro-management

Work hard, play hard culture

AFRP Analyst (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsCool culture, awesome benefits, some fun people, prime location in Ballantyne, great travel opportunities, growing company with competitive growth strategy

Conswork life balance within management level is questionable, somewhat cutthroat

Fantastic company with highly effective and competent employees

Human Resources (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsAdvancement, excellent work life balance, competent employees

ConsI cannot think of any cons

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great career builder and experience

Director (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsThe people and the team environment make SPX a great place to work.

ConsThe company makes changes slowly and deliberately, sometimes feels overly cautious.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some risks, pay attention to the engagement of the employees, release some control, empower people more

They need to improve their shared services

ProsYou get good work experience

ConsThey need to improve their shared services

Bad morale at Tulsa office!

Office (Current Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsGood 401k plan. Nice coworkers.

ConsAt Tulsa the pay is low and people are constantly getting fired. Those that are still there are looking for another job where they can feel good about their employer. The president doesn't have a clue how to run a company. There is no opportunity to move up, you might make a lateral move but that is it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTulsa is always losing money and if you want to change that, start at the top. Put someone in that knows how to run a company and treat employees with respect.

OK

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsCo workers are great to work with

ConsOpportunity to move up is non existant

Target evolution to an enterprise IT

Program Manager (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsReasonable benefits and good people who are willing to work long and hard to get the job done

ConsReorganize too often and is over matrixed with a lack of executive clarity around corporate enterprise goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess is more. Clearly understand what you want and what it takes to get what you are asking for, commit, then support your resources.

Long Road to Improvement

(Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsCompetitive compensation, site management recognizes that there are organizational deficiencies, solid backlog position for at least a year (or more). Building a pool of excellent staff & mid-level management. This will be a great place for someone who has a strong desire to experience grass-roots organizational change in a small-ish group within a large corporation.

ConsThe organizational deficiencies are crippling, management is unable to build or articulate a concensus roadmap to improvement (I believe that they are moving in the right direction, but too slowly to impact 2012 & perhaps 2013). The top-level corporate culture (as stated & communicated from Charlotte) is definitely good & noteworthy, but it has not yet taken root in Houston.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not be afraid of or overly cautious about change; the Houston facility has fantastic potential that can be unlocked with a plan & commitment from management that invites employee participation & input. There is a wealth of knowledge & experience that needs to be transferred from the individual level to the institutional level & it will not happen without more commitment from the top. Be more concerned with building a sustainable set of processes that will allow visibility into next year than with the next month of shipments; the month is important, but at what cost?

Ok but recognize your only as good as the next quarter

Sales Account Manager (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsFlexible, People are friendly. Opportunties to grow

ConsThey manage business with short outlook that only extends to the next quarter. Poor benefits, health insurance is self funded and you pay based on your salary. Bonus is used in the calculation of health insurance premium whether you make the bonus or not but yet all other benefits the bonus is taken out of the calculation. For example on the company paid life insurance. Cheap and skimpy on the bennies.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage to the year not the quarter, provide better benefits

Worked for SPX? Contribute to the Community!