SPX

Updated August 11, 2014

3.2

SPX Chairman, President, and CEO Chris Kearney
Chris Kearney

Pros
  • Work-life balance, humility amongst co-workers (in 3 reviews)

• Great benefits and great people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They manage business with short outlook that only extends to the next quarter (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

An experience to forget asap

Pros

Personal freedom to organise your work. Good pay and benefits. Non other pros found... sorry

Cons

Don't be innovative because your ideas are not appreciated. Very political and yes-man mentality. Corporate rules, even if you disagree and try to sell your idea; take it ot leave it... I left! There is no team but just a group of individuals fighting for their own benefit.

Wake up! A company is not a political party. Listen to your employees. Walk the talk and lead by example.

Who is the captain of the sinking ship?

Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Houston, TX

Pros

Fantastic products with some truly devoted employees.

Cons

SPX has dismantled a company that had a bright future. No clear direction from upper management with zero accountability.

Fire the captain (s) get people in there that will lead and fix the ship. ClydeUnion was a fantastic place to work... Sad to see SPX get let down the path by VP's who do not seem to care about the future of the company.

Beware!

Former Employee - Sales  in  Bridgton, ME
    Former Employee - Sales in Bridgton, ME

Pros

Freedom on the road for work.

Cons

Everything else. Too many reports and micromanagement. The US Market was the main producer for the company but they wanted us to sell in UK way and we lost sales.

Listen and trust your employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad morale at Tulsa office!

Current Employee - Office  in  Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Office in Tulsa, OK

Pros

Good 401k plan. Nice coworkers.

Cons

At Tulsa the pay is low and people are constantly getting fired. Those that are still there are looking for another job where they can feel good about their employer. The president doesn't have a clue how to run a company. There is no opportunity to move up, you might make a lateral move but that is it.

Tulsa is always losing money and if you want to change that, start at the top. Put someone in that knows how to run a company and treat employees with respect.

Unorganized Chaos

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Pros

In terms of compensation, SPX pays well, and the benefits are good. The company does business in a number of diverse areas which helps balance out things during unstable times.

Cons

Management tends to be insular, close-minded and resort to old school ways of doing things. There's a strong old boys network at work. They are clueless when it comes to the importance of marketing, social media, diversity and other disciplines that are essential in working in a global market place. This doesn't bode well for a long-term future for the company.

Get out of the box. Bring in fresh blood -- particularly in the areas of investor relations and public relations.

It never got better

Former Employee - Electronic Technician
    Former Employee - Electronic Technician

Pros

I thought they gave ample vacation time. We had personal days also to use at our pleasure was a bonus also. Sometimes getting the time off was difficult.

Cons

Some areas had so much mandatory overtime, especially at quarter end which always disrupted Christmas. My worst managers were with SPX. Yearly reviews were a time to dread. Positives were seldom addressed and the negatives were stressed. One review was graded as unsatisfactory because the manager wrote I took no classes. When I pointed out I took classes for seven weeks that year they said, "thats right, you did." Regardless, I was not eligible for a raise that year because of their mistake. One manager of mine which I went to HR because of inaccurate reviews was eventually let go for failing the drug test. The HR person agreed the review grade didn't match the review content but told me I had to build a relationship with that manager.
    Be prepared to see few raises, issues will be invented if needed.

What level of leadership are you referring ? The leadership at the facility where I worked should be let go. Hire managers that have people skills. Hire managers that are born with ethics and morals and live their lives abiding by them, including their time spent at work.

lack of leadership, lack of promotion opportunity,

Pros

the people (peers) and collaborative

Cons

The leadership is not intelligent or capable. They rely on tenure to get by and this leads to a very mediocre environment

Leave and let others that are more capable run the company.

Segmented Business

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager  in  New Columbia, PA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in New Columbia, PA

Pros

Fortune 500 company but with many business segments; investment in some segments is badly needed and SPX could easily be part of a personal law suit if it continues to operate without direction from the corporate office

Cons

As a fortune 500 company it has many business segments; investment in some segments is badly needed and SPX could easily be part of a personal law suit if it continues to operate without direction from the corporate office

Beware of high turn-over in certain business segments

They need to improve their shared services

Pros

You get good work experience

Cons

They need to improve their shared services

Segment that I worked for pulled a bait and switch during interview - misstated many facts

Pros

The compensation was agreeable.

They started embracing modern concepts (such as green technology) , and were actually starting to focus more on lean principles.

Because the segment I worked for was smaller, I was able to get more hands-on experience in different departments; and therefore learn more.

Cons

Many manual processes, and reluctance to embrace more modern, streamlined approaches.
    Management more focused on fixing small fires than, agreeing, positioning the organization, and dedicating resources to fix the real problems: old processes, antiquated systems, manual data collection etc.

Learn what collective intelligence is. Study it, and employ it. Or you'll end up with a handful of idiots running your organization. Your most valuable resources come not just from leadership, but from the people who support leadership. They know quite a lot, and in my experience, the reluctance of senior leadership has caused costly mistakes.

Worked for SPX? Contribute to the Community!