SR Education Group

Updated Feb 1, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sung Rhee

A fun, laid-back culture and tremendous professional growth opportunities.

User Experience Designer (Former Employee)
    Kirkland, WA

ProsMy experience at SR Education Group was invaluable. Due to its small size and startup-ish culture, employees have a great degree of ownership over their projects and freedom to execute as they see fit, and as a result develop extremely marketable skills.

SR Education Group is a true meritocracy. If you work hard and challenge yourself to grow in your field (be it design, marketing, project management, development, etc.), you'll become an invaluable member of the team and have the ability to steer the product direction to a degree uncommon to most companies. I personally felt a great amount of satisfaction in seeing my work directly influence the design, content and functionality of websites seen by 100,000 users per month.

As is commonly the case with small start-ups, there has been a lot of change in the organizational structure of this company. When I started, I would have characterized it as chaotic, but over the past year senior leadership has developed quite an efficient organizational structure and workflow process.

The work environment is laid-back and informal. There are occasional long nights during product sprints but in general the work life balance is better than I've experienced at any other company.

There are also impressive material perks at this company, including pool/ping pong tables, weekly Amazon Fresh deliveries, occasional office happy hours, and a waterfront view.

ConsThe main con of working at SR Education Group is simply the nature of the niche it is in. The successes of the online education vertical are closely tied to Google's ever-changing search algorithms. As a result, high-level priorities and project goals can change quite rapidly. If you're someone who would get frustrated having to leave a project unfinished because of these shifting priorities, then SR Education Group is not for you. I was not bothered by this dynamic personally, as I felt that every project I worked on, finished or unfinished, helped to inform future decision-making.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know senior management is already considering this suggestion, but I would just reiterate--devote more bandwidth to diversification and try to find a business foothold outside of the education vertical. I have a great deal of faith in the ability of senior management to guide this company toward lasting success, I just have concerns about the long-term potential of the industry itself. I have no doubt though that with the tremendous talent and drive at this company, new and successful business avenues are not far off.

Competitive Atmosphere. Run like a much bigger company than it is.

ProsA good learning environment when starting out. Good vacation benefits. Free food in the office.

ConsWhat happens when you have a CEO who used to be a Microsoft employee? The place is run like it has hundreds of employees instead of ten. Complicated review processes. Stack rankings. Constant power struggles amongst employees. Salary compensation that has major disparities and doesn't seem to fit the current state of the company. A general feeling of mistrust.

While this place can be a great place to learn when starting out your career, you can also get stuck. Do not get stuck or you will wind up doing nothing but bending to the CEO's vision. There is almost no room for discussion in this company and it shows with product that are not innovative and rapidly falling behind in a changing market.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart collaborating. Stop treating the company like it has 50 people instead of 10. Loosen up the rigid management structure. It's not necessary for a company your size. Start making your employees feel safe in their positions.

Great environment for professional growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOnce you understand the systems and challenges unique to this company, you have the opportunity to contribute pretty much however you want. Whatever your strengths are, if your contributions are quality, they will be used and appreciated. If you want to become a leader, stick around long enough and you can be. If you want to grow your technical skills, work on improving them and you'll get the chance to use them at work. The hours are flexible, perks are great, free food, take a break if you need it without feeling bad, great part of town with good restaurants if you don't want the free food.

You're asked to tackle some pretty tough challenges, but mistakes are expected, and you'll feel really great when you have successes. Most importantly, this company takes in young people with no qualifications and turns them into tech rock stars. You have to bring aptitude, but if you can hang in there and invest yourself, your employability and compensation will reach new heights as you grow here. Management is genuinely interested in working with you to improve your current and future career success. I will always think of my time here fondly and feel gratitude for the coaching and mentoring that I received.

Cons- The edu vertical has some interesting challenges, a lot of which relate to the public perception of the space.
    - Due to the nature of the industry (not the company) priorities and tactics change constantly. There are a lot of projects that don't get finished. This could be frustrating for some people; it didn't bother me.
    - In the past, relatively easy success meant the company didn't need to build a self-sustaining mission-driven brand. Changes in the search environment have reversed this, and it's not clear what the outcome will be for SR and its competitors. On the upside, they have the resources necessary and are actively gearing up for a new approach, very much taking the mindset of a fresh start up.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know you're already open to this, but I would consider diversifying the revenue stream as soon as possible, even outside of the education sector. I sense that the staff are chomping at the bit to tackle some new revenue sources, but are reluctant to pitch anything for fear of being responsible for the outcome.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lackluster

(Former Employee)
    Kirkland, WA

Pros-Very flexible with time off
    -Good benefits
    -"In house" perks (pool table, xbox, lake front office)

ConsPoor management structure, lack of feedback, no room for growth, favors quantity over quality, questionable money making practices, black hat SEO

Poor management hidden behind tons of great perks

Assistant (Contractor) (Former Employee)
    Kirkland, WA

Pros- Free food (weekly Amazon Fresh deliveries)
    - Lunch outings once a month
    - Very chilled atmosphere (ping pong table, XBOX 360, etc)
    - Great view/location
    - Ample space
    - Friendly staff
    - Great compensation package

Cons- Poor management
    This really was my only complaint, and yet it's a significant one. My supervisor was a HORRIBLE instructor (impatient, rushed thru instructions, etc) and despite him telling me he would let me know how I was doing, he didn't. I even asked both him AND the president if they could let me know at least 2 weeks in advance of the contract end date, if they saw me unfit to continue working there.

At my review/firing, when I asked my supervisor why he didn't tell me all this stuff I did wrong BEFOREHAND, he got upset & loud and told me that they needed someone who could complete tasks without asking too many questions.

When I told the president I thought this was unfair treatment, he replied that he didn't know my supervisor was going to have my review when he (the president) was out of town. Really? You didn't know this, despite you being the PRESIDENT of the company???

Only after I told the president I thought I received unfair treatment, did he give me a very generous compensation package (2 weeks worth of pay). Which was very generous, but odd that he did not mention/offer it until I contacted him and voiced my concerns several days after I was fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication between employer & employee.
    Respect for the employee/contractor to let them know at least 2 weeks in advance whether they will be kept on.

Great work environment

Pros- Very flexible hours
    - Great benefits (retirement fund, stock, profit shares)
    - Great learning experience (especially for recent grads)
    - Challenging (employer really expects you to think)
    - Room for growth (if you express a desire to move up, the CEO will work hard to find a way to make this happen)
    - Company consistently striving to be better

Cons- Work can be repetitive
    - You can get pigeonholed in a role if you allow it

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that you are consistently challenging your employees.

Flexible work environment and great learning experience

(Current Employee)

Pros- Flexible schedule
    - Good benefits (salary, stocks, 401K, free food, pool table)
    - Great mission and purpose
    - Allows a lot of freedom and independence for its employees
    - Treats employees fairly

Cons- Sometimes lacks structure
    - Most employees are young, so there aren't a lot of experienced veterans to learn from

Advice to Senior ManagementI appreciate that the company allows employees to learn by trying. Sometimes it can be challenging for your job, but you definitely learn more. I think the overall mission of the company is great, and there seem to be lot of good ideas for building great products in the future. Please continue to focus on the mission rather than get distracted by extraneous stuff.

Great Place to Start Out

ProsThe job responsibilities are flexible and change often. Any dull, repetitive work is always contracted out. If you feel strongly about a project you almost always have the freedom to get it done so long as the investment isn't enormous.

ConsThis isn't a great environment for employees who need structure. Everyone is expected to manage their own time, fill in their own knowledge gaps, and come up with ways to improve themselves and others.

Advice to Senior ManagementI feel that our strategy is too focused on scalability. We have invested great amounts of time and effort into processes just because they're scalable and provide value for now. If we had invested the same amount of effort into marketing and content that increased our credibility and brand, I think we'd be in a more stable place.

Worked for SR Education Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SR Education Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SR Education Group CEO Sung Rhee. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by SR Education Group employees.