SRA International

Updated December 13, 2014
2.8

SRA International CEO William L. Ballhaus
William L. Ballhaus

Pros
  • SRA provides a very relaxed atmosphere and places a focus on work-life balance (in 41 reviews)

• good benefits , although every year they are becoming less and less (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant realignment of upper management in order to make company more competitive (in 18 reviews)

• SRA used to have a reputation as one of THE companies to work for (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

63 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Director, Programs/Project Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong professional atmosphere with several centers of excellence for participation and professional growth. Many opportunities for exercising the Entrepreneurial spirit to develop leading strategies for Cloud implementation, Cyber Security practices, and much more.
    Excellent work-life balance policies and strong support for high educational pursuits.

Cons

Standard benefits among companies of this size are a little thin. Corporate strategy to trim non-producing work areas have reduced opportunities to invest in employees to maintain marketplace subject matter expertise. Employees that are working on-site directly for the customer are detached from the corporate culture and there is a struggle to keep the flow of information consistently fresh.

Former great company

Current Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at SRA International

Pros

Work life balance. Some nice hardworking folks hanging in there.

Cons

Benefits cut. Owned by investment company. High turnover. Daily layoffs.

Try to act like you care

Pay is very poor, benefits get worse and worse, don't seem to care about you esp. if you work offsite

Former Employee - Intelligence Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Intelligence Analyst in Arlington, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Able to get some government clearances, which were given somewhat randomly to employees
    Decent stepping-stone entry-level job
    Somewhat flexible work schedule

Cons

Pay was terrible even for entry-level and not competitive with the market at all
    Management micro-managed employees way too much - there was no trust and terrible communication between management and employees

Listen and trust your employees more.

Pros and Cons

Current Employee - Investigative Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Investigative Specialist in Arlington, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the people are nice; I'm employed

Cons

Micromanaging by upper management and TLs. Benefits have gotten worse over the last few years and raises are non existent.

Listen to employees and have a better work like balance.

We used to be great...!

Current Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy commute, nice people, flexible hours

Cons

lower pay, government clients (that's just the government though, not SRA), not challenging enough, boring work (secretarial)

talk with your employees, tell them what you want when you want it, give them something to strive for and something to work towards.

Used to be the company you want to grow with, not anymore

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Arlington, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

any employment is better than no employment

Cons

company doesnt care about the employee anymore, there's always a cut here a cut there in employee benefits.

Cutbacks everywhere

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

SRA provides a very relaxed atmosphere and places a focus on work-life balance. Coworkers are smart, driven, and easy to get along with. Hours and culture vary widely based on your client and business unit within SRA - I was part of the management consulting workforce, and had a good experience for the most part.

Cons

Salaries are stagnant and there are few opportunities for advancement. Repeated shake-ups at the top lead to murky strategy and subsequent execution. Win rates are low and core business is eroding, yet leadership continues to make severe cuts to the business development workforce. The company is also extremely top heavy and almost refuses to recruit consultants with less than 2 years of experience, so leverage and rate structures continue to be problematic both internally (no one gets a raise) and externally (losing proposals because SRA is too expensive).

As a result, staff morale was at an all-time low when I left. I hear it has only continued to go downhill since then, due to additional contract losses. The company is shrinking at a fast pace - at the end of your contract you will find that it's like a game of musical chairs with fierce competition internally for the same position. If you're a top performer, you'll have no problem finding your next project, but salary increases, even when taking a more senior position, are nonexistent. As such, most of the top talent has already left or is actively looking for an exit strategy.

Have a clear win strategy, place more focus on the quality of proposals instead of slapping them together, and find ways to make employees feel appreciated.

I worked for SRA for 3 years and loved it!

Former Employee - Cyber Security Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Cyber Security Analyst in Arlington, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

SRA provided (at least in my Section) an abundance of Career Development and training programs for the employee
    Additionally , they had a super health and wellness incentive programs to ensure that employees were getting exercise and eating healthy
    Salary compensation seemed to be a bit above average and fair
    Ethics and company values were excellent and the tagline and slogan off "Honesty and Service" was for the most part put into practice.

Cons

The company seemed to be a bit top heavy with management
    When the company lost some contracts , placement and coverage was very scarce , facilitating major layoffs- I think maybe that could not have been helped....

Trim the fat of upper management to keep more people employed .

What will they take away next?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Having a job makes me not homeless. They give you a little money towards commuting expenses, until they take that away.

Cons

Incompetent management at contracted client locations. They brought the cap down on paid time off, they've taken away some paid holidays, the new health plans are inferior and more expensive than years past, no raises or raises that don't even keep up with inflation, they extended the amount of time you have to work at the company to get a few extra days paid time off, they went from matching 401k every paycheck to once a year, and you have to be an employee on the last day of the year to get it. They also seem to be winning new contracts pretty regularly, yet are doing absolutely nothing to reinstate any of the benefits that they've taken away over the past few years.

Everyone involved in slashing employee benefits should take a hefty paycut as well. You should also care about employee morale, as it's currently abysmal. And you need to do a much better job of hiring and policing (and firing) your program managers and other management at client sites because most of them that just have business experience (and sometimes not even that) and no technical experience are driving contracts and morale into the ground.

The longer I stayed the worse it got.

I have been working at SRA International full-time

Pros

Depending on the team the dress code can be vary casual and there can be a lot of flexibility in hours.

Cons

Every time I turn around they are decreasing our benefits. Prices for healthcare go up every single year, they changed the amount of time you have to be there to get an extra week of vacation by adding another two years for that extra week (used to be three, now it's five), I've been there for 5 years and earned a TS clearance and don't even make $5k more than when I started. The last two years they've taken away a holiday each year. We used to have offices until they took those away and they made it an 'open floorplan.' Only everyone hates it so people are hardly ever there and telecommute instead, so they are saving even more money. They don't provide any in-home support for telecommuters whatsoever.

Absolutely no room to move up. I don't know a single person who started in one role and is now in another role. Increased responsibilities DO NOT come with increased pay whatsoever.

Care about the happiness of your employees a little bit.