SRA International Reviews

Reset
2.4
SRA International CEO William L. Ballhaus
William L. Ballhaus

Pros
  • SRA has a good work/life balance (in 41 reviews)

• Competitive salary, good benefits (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management will stiff you out of a raise just to keep within their budgets (in 18 reviews)

• SRA used to have a reputation as one of THE companies to work for (in 8 reviews)

Not the company I signed up for

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Arlington, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, training, and HR Department in trying to find available positions.

Cons

When the contract ends HR does a great job of trying to place you but not much help from Managers.

Advice to Management

Help your workers in finding other positions.

2. Management does not care about employees as much as they do about contractors

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary that is competitive with the best in the field

Cons

SRA management is really lacking in skills to care about their employees. They give more value to their contractors. Also moving between jobs in the same project is not allowed even if you are out of a job. They try to push you to find jobs using their pathways initiative but I don't think it exactly a successful program. The pathways executives try to push you to look for jobs outside the project even if you have openings within the same project. Don't join a company like this else you will feel dejected for the rest of the time you are working here. Wasted my career joining this company.

Advice to Management

You can value the contractors but not at the expense of your employees jobs and well being. Even the higher management do not care about this issue even after getting information on these practices.

3. Depends on your project

Former Employee - Training Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Training Specialist in Arlington, VA

I worked at SRA International (More than a year)

Pros

Salary was reasonable and free travel was a nice incentive.

Cons

Benefits are expensive and not very comprehensive, no checks and balances of power, downsizing of PTO, commute, projects can be convoluted and intentionally derailed by team members, no OTJ training.

Advice to Management

Nobody wakes up in the morning to fail at their job. If you're hiring the attitude, then it's imperative to give employees opportunities to learn, develop and grow. Nobody wants to make mistakes or fail, but it's important to coach employees along the way so they are clear about their role and position. In my experience (can't speak for others) I was constantly being told to "figure it out" or ask someone else. My direct supervisor left me off meeting invites, was late to meetings or cancelled my training altogether at times, then my absence was used against me on my performance review. I doubt most people will have this experience, as each project is managed independently.

Software engineer-Civil division

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at SRA International part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Arlington VA location, federal government contracts, civil sector.

Outstanding work-life balance. I work part-time on a very flexible schedule. I telework from home most of the time as do many people in my group. The company has several tools to facilitate collaborating, such as lync and web ex. My job fits so well with my needs, skills, and interests that I overlook or ignore a lot of things I might otherwise consider deal-breakers (see cons).
    NOTE: My work environment is not available with every job at SRA but the ability to find a job like mine exists at SRA.

SRA recently rolled out a new program to facilitate intra-company movement that looks great on paper. I hope it is successful because I will probably need it in the foreseeable future. My need for flexibility will decrease in a couple of years and the cons below will become much more important. My role on my current project may disappear or we may loose the work altogether, which is always a risk with government contacting

Cons

My biggest complaint is lack of technical training. There is a lot of training available for business and management skills but nothing for software development skills. The company offers tuition assistance but no paid time. The ability to learn on the job from more experienced developers is completely dependent on the characteristics of your project team and my tasks are too small to require much collaboration with senior developers. There is no corporate level commitment to developing technical skills.

My group is small and works on the civil side of government contacting but most of the company's revenue comes from defense contacts so we are subject to a lot of rules that are not relevant to us. Also, we are more profitable percentage-wise than most of the company but those profits go entirely to the company which hasn't done very well lately (hopefully improving but completely out of my control) so everyone I know got 1.5-2% raises last year. At the same time, we are being nickeled and dimed with benefits cuts. The company is very secretive about salary information but rumor has it that upper management got larger raises. Moral is not very good right now across the board.

SRA was bought by a private equity/venture capital company a couple of years ago. As PE firms go this one is not too bad but the corporate culture is definitely changing. One of the first things the new owners did was to spent a lot of money to rebrand the company. The old motto "Honesty and Service" was replaced with "Enduring Values, Inspired Performance". The old motto fit the the corporate culture at the time I joined. In fairness to the new owners, the culture was changing before they bought the company. But the new owners have made it clear that we are not going back to the values that made SRA a great place to work.

Advice to Management

The company is full of smart people, stop trying to justify cuts with half-truths. We are smart enough to see through them and it only damages our trust in you. And if raises have to be tiny and benefits cut then we don't want to hear that management got bigger raises, and I don't mean do a better job hiding the facts. You say that the company's strength comes from the employees but many of us are not feeling it. You are the ones who stand to gain the most if the company grows as a result of the cuts.

No Improvement in Employee Relations after years of disappointments and claims of concern by executives.

Current Employee - Director of Programs in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Director of Programs in Arlington, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pros are getting fewer and fewer. Still a great deal of flexibility in work/life balance.

Cons

The equity firm borrowed heavily to purchase the company, so the top executives are cutting through the bone to make the company appear more profitable. Wages are stagnant for most employees. Employees took a 3% benefit cut, while being told repeatedly that the benefits had not been cut. Promotion or advancement opportunities are few and far between. New career pathways program designed to address development and attrition doesn't seem promising, especially to those in the career pathway they forgot to include (mission support, consulting (management, OCM, HR, etc.), and emergency/continuity planning and preparedness.

Senior and executive management have dismantled the cultural backbone of the company. The core values driving the company right now is "work hard and look out for the Top Exec's bonuses."

Advice to Management

Commit to an actual strategy to revitalize the company. "Win more business, lose fewer re-competes" is not a strategy, that is a description of the basic competitive structure of the industry.

Get out of the headquarters bubble you live in. Interacting with, and listening to the people in contract execution and front line managers will give you a good set of perspectives. Had you done this with the Pathways program, you probably wouldn't have left out 25% of your workforce when developing the construct.

Former great company

Current Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at SRA International

Pros

Work life balance. Some nice hardworking folks hanging in there.

Cons

Benefits cut. Owned by investment company. High turnover. Daily layoffs.

Advice to Management

Try to act like you care

Pay is very poor, benefits get worse and worse, don't seem to care about you esp. if you work offsite

Former Employee - Intelligence Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Intelligence Analyst in Arlington, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Able to get some government clearances, which were given somewhat randomly to employees
    Decent stepping-stone entry-level job
    Somewhat flexible work schedule

Cons

Pay was terrible even for entry-level and not competitive with the market at all
    Management micro-managed employees way too much - there was no trust and terrible communication between management and employees

Advice to Management

Listen and trust your employees more.

Pros and Cons

Current Employee - Investigative Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Investigative Specialist in Arlington, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people are nice; I'm employed

Cons

Micromanaging by upper management and TLs. Benefits have gotten worse over the last few years and raises are non existent.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and have a better work like balance.

Director, Programs/Project Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong professional atmosphere with several centers of excellence for participation and professional growth. Many opportunities for exercising the Entrepreneurial spirit to develop leading strategies for Cloud implementation, Cyber Security practices, and much more.
    Excellent work-life balance policies and strong support for high educational pursuits.

Cons

Standard benefits among companies of this size are a little thin. Corporate strategy to trim non-producing work areas have reduced opportunities to invest in employees to maintain marketplace subject matter expertise. Employees that are working on-site directly for the customer are detached from the corporate culture and there is a struggle to keep the flow of information consistently fresh.

We used to be great...!

Current Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Easy commute, nice people, flexible hours

Cons

lower pay, government clients (that's just the government though, not SRA), not challenging enough, boring work (secretarial)

Advice to Management

talk with your employees, tell them what you want when you want it, give them something to strive for and something to work towards.

RSS Feed </> Embed