SRA International Reviews

2.0
SRA International CEO William L. Ballhaus
William L. Ballhaus
1 Rating

Pros
  • SRA has a good work/life balance (in 41 reviews)

• Competitive salary, good benefits (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management will stiff you out of a raise just to keep within their budgets (in 18 reviews)

• SRA used to have a reputation as one of THE companies to work for (in 8 reviews)

1. Not a bad choice late in your career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at SRA International

Pros

SRA offers good benefits compared to the rest of the sector. Employees are afforded quite a bit a autonomy. SRA offers some interesting work opportunities. Good raises were the rule, not the exception. Benefits were almost unmatched at the time - no 401k vesting period, profit sharing cash bonus, good leave schedule along with top notch health care which the company paid more than their fair share of.

Cons

My time there felt static, career development wise. My management didn't seem to know or care what I did specifically - basically "Are you billing contract and keeping the customer happy? OK then." Even my yearly reviews didn't help - I would set goals which management would make no attempt to help me achieve.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your off-site workers - they comprise quite a bit of the talent pool there.

Ok place to work but very unstable

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Columbia, MD

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In the Columbia office everyone feels like a family. The work is ok and the people there are great.

Cons

This company has had some short comings and seems to be on the edge of going down a very deep dark hole. The benefits have changed drastically and not for the better. Raises are not as good as they were and when upper management starts to leave....you know that could be a sign it is time to get out.

Advice to Management

While it is understandable times are not as easy as they had been. You need to understand that when you take the benefits away that so many people had. It is not going to help the company because those people who are making you money are going to now leave as soon as they can.

A tech company of mediocre talent and wandering leadership.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Columbia, MD

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

SRA has contracts in a wide range of government agencies. They tend to be a company that does value honesty and service.

Cons

SRA has poor leadership that is focused solely on financial performance. The CEO tends to talk the talk, but when decisions are made it always comes down on the side of financials. The benefits package continues to decline. Each time management says this is the last cut another cut comes along a couple of months later. SRA is a low-end IT shop for the most part rather than a company that looks for hard challenges. The biz dev lacks focus, it's more along the lines of try to go after every opportunity regardless of whether we have the expertise or not.

Advice to Management

Return to the roots of what Ernst created the company for.

An average company with good benefits

Current Employee - Senior Information Assurance Engineer in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Information Assurance Engineer in Columbia, MD

I have been working at SRA International

Pros

The benefits package is really great, I can't complain about that at all. And the salaries seem to be pretty good as well, although some small companies around here pay better. Most of the management is decent. I just which it was a flatter org chart.

Cons

The company seems to be hiring anyone, just to back fill all the people quitting. Unfortunately, a lot of the best people are leaving. The qualify the available work also suffers, since management isn't taking the time to figure out what the employees actually want to work on. They are more concerned with getting people off of overhead.

Advice to Management

Better communication about what's going on with the company, including the negative, would be a good thing. If we aren't told, we assume it's even worse than we thought.

RSS Feed </> Embed